GALLUP: Romney edges Obama

This is my first post here and I know I am really stepping in it.. Don't be gentle, tell me what you think.

The best advice I can offer is to be patient and hopeful. The GOP is in such disarray right now that 2012 is a crap shoot at best. There hasn't been a President this vulnerable (deservedly so or not, that's not the point) since Carter, and the GOP nominating process has been an absolute circus.

Kudos on your honesty, it's in short supply within political conversation. Cross your fingers and hope the party gets its act together for 2014 or 2016. While I'm not fond of either silly party, I think the country deserves two decent choices in a Presidential election. The GOP sure picked an odd time to self-destruct.

What did the GOP do wrong? Other than say what they think out loud. But I agree, they would have been smart to not push all their radical ideas on us until after they beat Obama. Then who would have stopped them? Citizens United, Birth control, unions, social security, the post office, collective bargaining, etc. They should have waited until 2013 to attack all these things. Not a year before the election.

Fair question, but I think there's an answer.

Seems to me this goes back to the 2010 elections. The GOP looked at the sporadic Tea Party congressional victories and became spooked. They misinterpreted the results, they forgot that it's much easier to win in individual districts than on any kind of national scale. They essentially became afraid of the Tea Party.

As a result of those victories, the Tea Party began feeling its oats, shoving those incredibly silly "pledges" in the faces of politicians (who damn well know they can't "pledge" shit) -- the politicians then obediently signed the documents while wishing they were using freakin' disappearing ink.

The apex of this little circus was that debate in which the classic question "would you accept one dollar in tax increases for ten dollars in spending cuts?" question was asked. Holy crap, each one of the candidates shook their heads like one of those little dog toys you see in the back of a car. That's the moment the GOP went over the edge.

So now the Tea Party types think they have the rest of the party over a barrel, and they may be right. Look at some of the posters here. Holy crap, they actually think they can somehow get their libertarian ideas enacted. You can't make this stuff up. The party is controlled by people who are (a) living in a fantasy world and (b) have enough scared GOP politicians afraid of them. Talk about a recipe for disaster. As a result, they have no better than a 50/50 chance to beat a President who's presiding over an 8%+ unemployment rate.

Anyway, simple question, long answer. Bottom line, what the GOP did wrong was allow the hard right wing to gain so much influence.

Forum List

Back