Gallup poll shows American support stimulus

Bullshit.

We had a higher ratio of debt to GDP when Truman was in office.

What destroyed us was unregulated theft on Wall Street caused by Phil Gramm's deregulation of the markets.

Truman was dealing with a world war. What's Obama's excuse? It sure aint an economic crisis. The fact that you even think this is a crisis demonstrates how naive you are about human history.

This is the largest spending bill, ever. And wasting this much money. Putting us further in debt in this conditions with absolutely no return is suicide. How long do you think it will be before people start taking to the streets? What's going to happen when Mexico collapses? How about when China calls our debts and there hasnt been a recovery? What's going to happen when our currency begins to superinflate and nothing we have is worth jack squat because Obama wanted to pay off his special interests?

There is a time to spend money we dont have. This is not one of them. Spending this money is going to strain the tax payers. There is going to absolutely no benefit. Our credit will go down the drain. The dollar will inflate and we will be worse than we were to begin with.

You want a strong economy. Do something that fills the markets with confidence. Encourage entrepenuers. Cut the capital gains tax so there is more incentive to be more productive. Deregulate and let the market control. Pay off the debt and strengthen the dollar. There are infinitely better options than this so called stimulus.

This isnt a matter of if it fails, its merely a matter of when. And how bad is the fall out.

This isn't a crisis?

It is for the 500,000 Americans who are losing their jobs every month.

Bovine droppings.

If it suceeds, the current Right Wing Lemmings in DC will jump all over it and try and take credit. Hell, there have been a few already telling their constituents how they fought to get them money.

You're right, what you just said was a lot of Bovine droppings.

There is no if it suceeeds. You can wish for it to succeed with every fiber of your being. You cant make this thing work because its flawed from the beginning. You cant stimulate the economy by giving money to non-profits. You cant stimulate the economy with massive debt and printing more money. Its just going to make things worse.

Why do you lie?

The largest part of the stimulus is tax cuts. Are the taxpapers nonprofits?
more LIES

The stimulus package is designed to help America out of the current financial difficulties.
Many Americans will be helped by this package.
Those who favor it are Americans.
The package will spend money for infrastructure and tax relief that will help America.
Similar means were used to minimize the impact of the great depression.
Those actions helped as the statistics show.
So the part I am missing is why anyone at this point would be against anything whose purpose was to help Americans.

don't you ever get tired of using the great depression scare tactic? I know I for one am sick of hearing it

today's economic environment is more akin to the last major recession of 1981-1982

Bradley Schiller Says Barack Obama Should Stop Comparing Our Financial Crisis With the Great Depression - WSJ.com

This fearmongering may be good politics, but it is bad history and bad economics. It is bad history because our current economic woes don't come close to those of the 1930s. At worst, a comparison to the 1981-82 recession might be appropriate. Consider the job losses that Mr. Obama always cites. In the last year, the U.S. economy shed 3.4 million jobs. That's a grim statistic for sure, but represents just 2.2% of the labor force. From November 1981 to October 1982, 2.4 million jobs were lost -- fewer in number than today, but the labor force was smaller. So 1981-82 job losses totaled 2.2% of the labor force, the same as now.

Job losses in the Great Depression were of an entirely different magnitude. In 1930, the economy shed 4.8% of the labor force. In 1931, 6.5%. And then in 1932, another 7.1%. Jobs were being lost at double or triple the rate of 2008-09 or 1981-82.

This was reflected in unemployment rates. The latest survey pegs U.S. unemployment at 7.6%. That's more than three percentage points below the 1982 peak (10.8%) and not even a third of the peak in 1932 (25.2%). You simply can't equate 7.6% unemployment with the Great Depression.

Other economic statistics also dispel any analogy between today's economic woes and the Great Depression. Real gross domestic product (GDP) rose in 2008, despite a bad fourth quarter. The Congressional Budget Office projects a GDP decline of 2% in 2009. That's comparable to 1982, when GDP contracted by 1.9%. It is nothing like 1930, when GDP fell by 9%, or 1931, when GDP contracted by another 8%, or 1932, when it fell yet another 13%.

Auto production last year declined by roughly 25%. That looks good compared to 1932, when production shriveled by 90%. The failure of a couple of dozen banks in 2008 just doesn't compare to over 10,000 bank failures in 1933, or even the 3,000-plus bank (Savings & Loan) failures in 1987-88. Stockholders can take some solace from the fact that the recent stock market debacle doesn't come close to the 90% devaluation of the early 1930s.

Just tell the truth for once. This stimulus bill was moved through so quickly because of fear based catastrophic rhetoric that no one has even read the entire text.

This bill adds more government cost in the future with more and permanent government expansion than it creates jobs.

Throw a couple mill at my non-profit.

I guarantee you it will create jobs.

I have far more work to do than people to do it, and plans to offer educational tools which as this time I simply cannot afford to create and publish, too.

I opened up my stacks for free downloads and I'll be giving away $5,000,000 worth of ebooks in the first year and far more than that every year thereafter.

Now how do I KNOW that?

Well, I did a market study just like I was taught to do in B-school. by the end of that study, I was giving away 40,000 ebooks a month. (times $5 each... do the math). And I did that when I had far less to offer, too.

Currently I am forced to sell these ebooks to keep the lights on.

Selling them, is the least efficient way to get these books into the hands of the people worldwide who so obviously want them.

It's a damned shame really, that the government invested millions into university websites that aren't half as popular, and not nearly so well recieved.

The market has spoken and what they said is that they want what Rosetta has.

So don't imagine that not-for-profits aren't a boom to the commonweal, or that they're inefficient, either.

Rosetta is living proof that you simply don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Where do these people live? I haven't met one yet that doesn't think it's a joke and just debt deferrment.

Guess I need to hang out with more system leeches, huh?

What a crock of shit.

This thread has already been proven to be invalid. Chris is using old data to justify his point which I corrected using the most current data. Perhaps it shouldn't be in 'Current Events'. Do you have a 'Current Events using Old Data to Justify a point that is Invalid' forum?

yup success or fail,, it's pretty much owned by the Democrats..

That's fine.

500,000 Americans are losing their jobs every month. The Republicans don't care. But Wall Street gets in trouble, and it's OH MY GOD OUR BIG CONTRIBUTORS ARE IN TROUBLE!!! SUSPEND THE CAMPAIGN!!!! GIVE THEM $700 BILLION DOLLARS SO THEY CAN PAY BONUSES!!!

how very dishonest of you! but then dishonesty is an inherent trait in Democrats, why don't you hunt them down and make them pay their taxes and we will put an end to this miserable shortage of funds! :lol:

not inherent in all democrats, just people like chrissy lewinsky.

Bovine droppings.

If it suceeds, the current Right Wing Lemmings in DC will jump all over it and try and take credit. Hell, there have been a few already telling their constituents how they fought to get them money.

Don't worry. It's not going to work.

That won't keep the lying dems from claiming it is working, or if they can't get the American people to accept that lie, come up with a reason it's the fault of Bush that it's not working.

The American people are NOT behind the stimulus. They certainly weren't the first time, and they aren't now. I don't know who Gallup is polling, or when they became a part of the Dem machine, but there's a rat in the soup.

Bovine droppings.

Don't worry. It's not going to work.

That won't keep the lying dems from claiming it is working, or if they can't get the American people to accept that lie, come up with a reason it's the fault of Bush that it's not working.

The American people are NOT behind the stimulus. They certainly weren't the first time, and they aren't now. I don't know who Gallup is polling, or when they became a part of the Dem machine, but there's a rat in the soup.

Allie.. the DEMs consider it a win/win situation

If the economy turns around (as economies do), they will claim it as a victory for the stimulus and Obama's leadership

If it fails.. they will either claim it as Bush's fault... or they will use it as an excuse to have MORE spending on even more pet programs etc, saying that it was not enough and they need MORE to make it right

You can read it about as noticeably as chocolate B-Day cake on a 1 year old's face

The current package will stimulate the economy.

That's what they said about the last two packages. We see how well those worked. :cool:
and i just heard on the news they are now talking about needing another TRILLION in bailouts for something else

so where does this nonsense stop?
$4 TRILLION?
$5T?
$10T?

I have no doubt more increased spending is coming under the guise of this "economic crisis".

Today we see tens of billions more to bail out deadbeat homeowners - (why should I continue to pay my own mortgage? Why should anyone? Oh that's right, because we are responsible members of society...)

And before anyone flames on regarding the term deadbeat homeowner, make no mistake, while Obama's program will help some who may be deserving, it will greatly increase the already increasing attitude of Americans that they need simply to wait for the government to fix all their problems - pay their gas, pay their mortgage, etc.

Obama has become Presidential Sugar Daddy to the growing legions of apathetic Americans...

obama_youth_04.jpg

It will cost several trillion dollars to save our economy.

The alternative is tens of millions of people out of work and incredible hardship.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back