Gallup: More Americans Think US In Depression Than Recovery

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Can't be good news for anyone. More think in depression, than recession. The unifying agreement comes in not believing in recovery and making fun of Reuters headline:

Most Americans say U.S. in recession despite data: poll | Reuters

Most Americans say U.S. in recession despite data: poll

(Reuters) - More than half of Americans say the U.S. economy is in a recession or a depression despite official data that show a moderate recovery, according to a poll released on Thursday.

The April 20-23 Gallup survey of 1,013 U.S. adults found that only 27 percent said the economy is growing. Twenty-nine percent said the economy is in a depression and 26 percent said it is in a recession, with another 16 percent saying it is "slowing down," Gallup said...

Can't be good news for anyone. More think in depression, than recession. The unifying agreement comes in not believing in recovery and making fun of Reuters headline:

Most Americans say U.S. in recession despite data: poll | Reuters

Most Americans say U.S. in recession despite data: poll

(Reuters) - More than half of Americans say the U.S. economy is in a recession or a depression despite official data that show a moderate recovery, according to a poll released on Thursday.

The April 20-23 Gallup survey of 1,013 U.S. adults found that only 27 percent said the economy is growing. Twenty-nine percent said the economy is in a depression and 26 percent said it is in a recession, with another 16 percent saying it is "slowing down," Gallup said...

the GDP last quarter was 3.1 this quater it's 1.8. Someone is fudging the data if they're saying things are getting better.

Last edited:

That's because they have an astounding grasp of their own personal realities.

The national economic data, the GDP does NOT describe the state of affairs for every American.

How you're doing in this economy mostly depends on where you were in terms of socio-eocnomic class before the meltdown.

If you are of the lower 4 quintiles (the bottom 80% or so) you STILL ARE in a depression.

That's because the rich are the ones benefitting from the increases in the economy and the middle class keeps getting pushed. but i think it more likely that if people keep getting told that it's a depression (which is a lie), they start repeating it like little parrots.

and every time the right sees a glimmer of improvement, they try to kill it because they want things to stay bad til after the 2012 election.

The national economic data, the GDP does NOT describe the state of affairs for every American.

How you're doing in this economy mostly depends on where you were in terms of socio-eocnomic class before the meltdown.

If you are of the lower 4 quintiles (the bottom 80% or so) you STILL ARE in a depression.

Disagree with you and Reuters, the experts, particularly in those in this administration have been wrong time and again. Worse yet, we can see that his plans on oil are making a very bad situation much worse.

What's happening are those who are underemployed and still unemployed are friends and loved ones of those doing a bit better. In many cases getting some assistance from them, either through monetary means or networking. No matter, the situation just is spiraling down.

Disagree with you and Reuters, the experts, particularly in those in this administration have been wrong time and again. Worse yet, we can see that his plans on oil are making a very bad situation much worse.

I found the above rather confusing. You disagree with me and Reuters. You mean that the POLL is not reflecting the beliefs of the people?

What's happening are those who are underemployed and still unemployed are friends and loved ones of those doing a bit better.

Again, what does the above really mean? I don't know.

In many cases getting some assistance from them, either through monetary means or networking. No matter, the situation just is spiraling down.

What "situation" is spiraling down, exactly?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I really don't understand what you're trying to tell us.

That's because the rich are the ones benefitting from the increases in the economy and the middle class keeps getting pushed. but i think it more likely that if people keep getting told that it's a depression (which is a lie), they start repeating it like little parrots.

and every time the right sees a glimmer of improvement, they try to kill it because they want things to stay bad til after the 2012 election.

All I can say Jillian is Obama and the democrats had complete control for the first two years of this administration and they did nothing to improve the economy. I can't fault the republicans for that. Amid the cries of republican obstructionists I saw democratic greed and everything we hated about the previous Bush administration. I voted for Obama and I am terribly dissapointed that I did. He has turned out to be nothing more than a man of empty promises. The right was no better but Hope and Change has left a lot to be desired. Where to turn to now, I don't know. But what we have right now is not going to do it for us.

Ok then why are you on the right trying to get the wealthy even more and tossing the very people who answered this poll this way under the bus?

400 people in this country own as much as 50% oif the American people.

I think those 400 can kick in more taxes to make people not feel like our economy is in a depression while their stocks soar and their bottom line ballons

All I can say Jillian is Obama and the democrats had complete control for the first two years of this administration and they did nothing to improve the economy. I can't fault the republicans for that. Amid the cries of republican obstructionists I saw democratic greed and everything we hated about the previous Bush administration. I voted for Obama and I am terribly dissapointed that I did. He has turned out to be nothing more than a man of empty promises. The right was no better but Hope and Change has left a lot to be desired. Where to turn to now, I don't know. But what we have right now is not going to do it for us.

Oh I see and the fact that the minority republican party filibustered ANYTHING Obama and the dems tried to do means nothing huh?

This is how the right plays the game.

You won the elections so we will throw fits and play games to keep you from doing the people will and then we will blame you as if you sat back and twiddled your thumbs while we tried to help.

The right is so consistantly dishonest in their motivations.

Your right crashed this world economy for the second time in one life time and now you blame anyone who tries to clean up your mess while the entire time they are cleaning you are digging holes in the back yard and shoving rocks down the toilets.

There was a day when republicans had real ideas and actually cared more about country than party.

Those days are LONG gone.

Last edited:
You won the elections so we will throw fits and play games to keep you from doing the people will and then we will blame you as if you sat back and twiddled your thumbs while we tried to help.
OMG!!! A FIRST! Some truth from TM! She has pegged today's Democrat minority exactly!

Oh I see and the fact that the minority republican party filibustered ANYTHING Obama and the dems tried to do means nothing huh?

This is how the right plays the game.

The right is so consistantly dishonest in their motivations.

Your right crashed this world economy for the second time in one life time and now you blame anyone who tries to clean up your mess while the entire time they are cleaning you are digging holes in the back yard and shoving rocks down the toilets.

There was a day when republicans had real ideas and actually cared more about country than party.

Those days are LONG gone.

Truthmatters, they had a supermajority, it was fillibuster proof. So end it right there. It didn't happen. Jesus, if you are going to keep up with you partisan bullshit at least lead with something better than that. You have absolutely no credibility because you talk such trash.

Oh I see it was fillibuster proof huh?

then why doid the republican threaten to filibuster every fifteen minutes during those years?

OMG!!! A FIRST! Some truth from TM! She has pegged today's Democrat minority exactly!

how much of the government were you Rs elected to run?

You only have the house remember.

That is NOT the entire government , you are still the minority party.

Forum List

Back