Gallop poll--7/18/2011--Most Americans do not want to raise the debt ceiling

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
By a 42-22 percent margin, Americans want Congress to vote against increasing the debt ceiling, according to a new Gallup poll that provides the added element of logging hundreds of comments of why respondents oppose or support such an increase.

The July 7-10 poll of more than 1,016 randomly selected adults also found that 35 percent have no opinion on the debate roiling Washington, D.C., and rolling across the country. Those results were compiled in a Gallup analysis last week.

Instead of simply asking participants to respond to questions, the surveyors also asked them to explain their positions in their own words. Gallup released the hundreds of comments today.

Comments opposing the hikes including the following:

My children and grandchildren can't afford to pay that debt.
If they raise the debt ceiling they will continue to spend.
I think we should be taking care of the issues we have at home and not abroad.
We need to improve our schools, our education system and highways.
Don't need any more debt and we should pay down on the debt that we already have I do believe that we'll work toward us becoming a third world nation and I think the primary deal for us is to stop spending.
They just throw money away.
It's making more tension between us and other countries, the debt makes those relationships worse.
I think in the last 20 years especially been spoiled as a society I know that's not individually but as a society self-discipline is part of happiness think we need to face what we have got just like any household chooses what they spend and their limits because we're putting that on the backs of our grandchildren has to start somewhere, have to make an effort because we spend too much money as a country.
If the U.S. was in its previous 20 or 30 years ago, it would not be that scary, but now, in time, emerging economies are no longer emerging, they are exceeding us.

Comments backing an increase include the following:

Because I don't want see the U.S. default on its loans.
United States needs to pay bills and has always raised the debt ceiling there's a lot of Americans that need help. We should be obligated to help those who need it.
Faith and credit of U.S. For the obligations already made. If it is not raised, our money would bounce with other countries and we would not be able to function as a company.
Creditors would lose faith . . . Catastrophic.
I'm close to being on the fence, but I would tell them that with 2.5 weeks to go, they should have made a decision about 2.5 years ago.

Gallup: Americans Voice 42-22% Opposition to Hike, in Own Words

$9-trillion-deficit.jpg

14.3 trillion in red ink now--with another 64 trillion in unfunded liabilities--due to baby boomers now entering social security and medicare.

Even Conservative darling Paul Ryan said we need to raise the debt ceiling by August 2. Those who are saying we shouldn't raise the debt ceiling either don't know the implications of what will happen or don't care.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/16/nation/la-na-debt-talks-20110716

At a closed-door meeting Friday morning, GOP leaders turned to their most trusted budget expert, Rep. Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, to explain to rank-and-file members what many others have come to understand: A fiscal meltdown could occur if Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling.

House Speaker John A. Boehner of Ohio underscored the point to dispel the notion that failure to allow more borrowing is an option.

"He said if we pass Aug. 2, it would be like 'Star Wars,'" said Rep. Scott DesJarlais, a freshman from Tennessee. "I don't think the people who are railing against raising the debt ceiling fully understand that."

Freshman Rep. Steve Womack (R-Ark.) said the presentation about skyrocketing interest rates that could result from downgraded bond ratings was "sobering."

At the same time, Republican leaders orchestrated a series of public moves intended to soften the blow for conservatives. They agreed to give the House an opportunity to vote on two top conservative priorities: a so-called cut-cap-and-balance bill, which would order $111 billion in cuts in federal programs for 2012 and impose a cap on future spending, and a constitutional amendment that would require a balanced federal budget.

The Democratic leadership in the Senate is also expected to allow votes on one, and perhaps both, measures. Neither is expected to become law — the constitutional amendment would require a two-thirds vote in both chambers — but the chance to vote could appeal to the "tea party" conservatives in the House, who are most skeptical of any deal with the White House to raise the debt limit.

Even Conservative darling Paul Ryan said we need to raise the debt ceiling by August 2. Those who are saying we shouldn't raise the debt ceiling either don't know the implications of what will happen or don't care.

U.S. debt ceiling: House Republicans brace for compromise to avoid U.S. default - Los Angeles Times

At a closed-door meeting Friday morning, GOP leaders turned to their most trusted budget expert, Rep. Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, to explain to rank-and-file members what many others have come to understand: A fiscal meltdown could occur if Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling.

House Speaker John A. Boehner of Ohio underscored the point to dispel the notion that failure to allow more borrowing is an option.

"He said if we pass Aug. 2, it would be like 'Star Wars,'" said Rep. Scott DesJarlais, a freshman from Tennessee. "I don't think the people who are railing against raising the debt ceiling fully understand that."

Freshman Rep. Steve Womack (R-Ark.) said the presentation about skyrocketing interest rates that could result from downgraded bond ratings was "sobering."

At the same time, Republican leaders orchestrated a series of public moves intended to soften the blow for conservatives. They agreed to give the House an opportunity to vote on two top conservative priorities: a so-called cut-cap-and-balance bill, which would order $111 billion in cuts in federal programs for 2012 and impose a cap on future spending, and a constitutional amendment that would require a balanced federal budget.

The Democratic leadership in the Senate is also expected to allow votes on one, and perhaps both, measures. Neither is expected to become law — the constitutional amendment would require a two-thirds vote in both chambers — but the chance to vote could appeal to the "tea party" conservatives in the House, who are most skeptical of any deal with the White House to raise the debt limit.

Where does it say that Paul Ryan said we need to raise the debt ceiling?

He's the one explaining to the rank-and-file why we need to raise the debt ceiling. But if that's not enough evidence:

Countering Default Deniers, Paul Ryan Says Aug. 2 Is Drop Dead Date | ThinkProgress

I know it's TP, but the audio is what's worth listening for.

House Republicans’ chief number cruncher pushed back on some of his fellow GOP congressmen in the so-called “hell no caucus,” who claim the Obama administration is lying or exaggerating the urgency of the Aug. 2 “drop dead” date for raising the debt ceiling. On Fox News host Sean Hannity’s radio show this afternoon, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), the chairman of the Budget Committee, refused to agree with Hannity that the date was “artificial,” saying he’s run the numbers several times and concluded that Aug. 2 is indeed the day when Treasury “needs to start prioritizing bills,” give or take a day or two.

Audio after the jump.

:eusa_shhh:
you're going to burst a lot of bubbles with that poll.

Remember, the Obama said 80% of people want the ceiling raised and they felt they should be taxed too.

By a 42-22 percent margin, Americans want Congress to vote against increasing the debt ceiling, according to a new Gallup poll that provides the added element of logging hundreds of comments of why respondents oppose or support such an increase.

However:

"Two-thirds (67 percent) approve of making more of high earners' income subject to Social Security tax, and nearly as many approve of raising taxes on incomes of over $250,000 (66 percent), reducing military commitments overseas (65 percent) and limiting tax deductions for large corporations (62 percent)," the Pew Research Center reported last month.

Why did the Obama-Boehner grand debt reduction deal fail? - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

And:
The Post-ABC poll finds that 78 percent oppose cutting spending on Medicare as a way to chip away at the debt. On Medicaid — the government insurance program for the poor — 69 percent disapprove of cuts.

Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem - The Washington Post

So if we’re going to govern by polls taxes should be raised and programs not cut.

He's the one explaining to the rank-and-file why we need to raise the debt ceiling. But if that's not enough evidence:

Countering Default Deniers, Paul Ryan Says Aug. 2 Is Drop Dead Date | ThinkProgress

I know it's TP, but the audio is what's worth listening for.

House Republicans’ chief number cruncher pushed back on some of his fellow GOP congressmen in the so-called “hell no caucus,” who claim the Obama administration is lying or exaggerating the urgency of the Aug. 2 “drop dead” date for raising the debt ceiling. On Fox News host Sean Hannity’s radio show this afternoon, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), the chairman of the Budget Committee, refused to agree with Hannity that the date was “artificial,” saying he’s run the numbers several times and concluded that Aug. 2 is indeed the day when Treasury “needs to start prioritizing bills,” give or take a day or two.

Audio after the jump.

No, he didn't say that. He warned again a fiscal meltdown. That's why Congress needs to do their job. The Democrats have shirked their responsibilities for far too long.

No, he didn't say that. He warned again a fiscal meltdown. That's why Congress needs to do their job. The Democrats have shirked their responsibilities for far too long.

Both parties have. It's been raised 102 times since 1917 and 10 times since 2001.

Maybe most people don't fully understand the gravity of the situation, such as what is likely to happen if the debt ceiling is not raised. It's almost instinctive for most people to resist going further into debt, either personally or as a country. But how many know what the consequences are, how the economy could be affected, and what choices would have to be made between gov't programs that affect everybody. I do not believe the president has made it clear, instead he has resorted to fearmongering. Whatever happened to transparency, are we not to be trusted with the whole truth?

The July 7-10 poll of more than 1,016 randomly selected adults also found that 35 percent have no opinion on the debate roiling Washington, D.C., and rolling across the country. Those results were compiled in a Gallup analysis last week.

Instead of simply asking participants to respond to questions, the surveyors also asked them to explain their positions in their own words. Gallup released the hundreds of comments today.

Comments opposing the hikes including the following:

My children and grandchildren can't afford to pay that debt.
If they raise the debt ceiling they will continue to spend.
I think we should be taking care of the issues we have at home and not abroad.
We need to improve our schools, our education system and highways.
Don't need any more debt and we should pay down on the debt that we already have I do believe that we'll work toward us becoming a third world nation and I think the primary deal for us is to stop spending.
They just throw money away.
It's making more tension between us and other countries, the debt makes those relationships worse.
I think in the last 20 years especially been spoiled as a society I know that's not individually but as a society self-discipline is part of happiness think we need to face what we have got just like any household chooses what they spend and their limits because we're putting that on the backs of our grandchildren has to start somewhere, have to make an effort because we spend too much money as a country.
If the U.S. was in its previous 20 or 30 years ago, it would not be that scary, but now, in time, emerging economies are no longer emerging, they are exceeding us.

Comments backing an increase include the following:

Because I don't want see the U.S. default on its loans.
United States needs to pay bills and has always raised the debt ceiling there's a lot of Americans that need help. We should be obligated to help those who need it.
Faith and credit of U.S. For the obligations already made. If it is not raised, our money would bounce with other countries and we would not be able to function as a company.
Creditors would lose faith . . . Catastrophic.
I'm close to being on the fence, but I would tell them that with 2.5 weeks to go, they should have made a decision about 2.5 years ago.

Gallup: Americans Voice 42-22% Opposition to Hike, in Own Words

View attachment 14221

14.3 trillion in red ink now--with another 64 trillion in unfunded liabilities--due to baby boomers now entering social security and medicare.

So you are saying Congress is irresponsible and you could be a better steward of your own money. That you wouldn't have started a crusade in the ME, or borrowed trillions from the commies to balance the budget you couldn't afford by giving tax cuts during two wars. Is that about right?

Oh crap,,,another poll!

Poll: Americans want compromise on debt

As Democrats and Republicans wrestle over spending and deficits in advance of an Aug. 2 deadline to raise the debt ceiling, most Americans want their political leaders to compromise rather stand their ground, according to a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

Strong majorities of Democrats and independents prefer that Democratic congressional leaders make compromises in this budget debate, while almost 70 percent of independents want Republican leaders to do the same. And nearly six in 10 favor President Barack Obama’s proposal to lower the federal deficit by $4 trillion over 10 years by cutting federal spending, raising tax revenue from the wealthy and reducing some Medicare spending.

By comparison, only about a third of respondents prefer the House Republican proposal to reduce the deficit by $2.5 trillion over 10 years through cutting spending alone and not raising additional revenues.

Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, who conducted the survey with Republican pollster Bill McInturff, says the public’s message can be summed up in one phrase: “Compromise and get it done.” Poll: Americans want compromise on debt - politics - msnbc.com

Oh, I forgot this tidbit from my above linked poll;

[I"]In the poll, a plurality (by 38 percent to 31 percent) says the debt ceiling should be raised, which is sharp reversal from June, when a plurality (39 percent to 28 percent) opposed that move." [/I]

Oh, I forgot this tidbit from my above linked poll;

[I"]In the poll, a plurality (by 38 percent to 31 percent) says the debt ceiling should be raised, which is sharp reversal from June, when a plurality (39 percent to 28 percent) opposed that move." [/I]

While a significant difference statistically speaking, 'sharp reversal' is hyperbole.

New Topics

Forum List

Back