Gabby, Just for You!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.codepink4peace.org/article.php?list=type&type=65

links at site
IT'S A CODEPINK FOURTH OF JULY

July 4th Talking Points by John Nichols
Americans need to recognize that, in addition to the lives and dollars the occupation of Iraq has cost the United States, it has also assaulted democratic ideals handed down by the founders of this country's experiment with democracy. "We should have nothing to do with conquest," warned Jefferson, who believed the US must lead by example, not by force. The invasion and occupation of other lands would, the founders feared, turn America into precisely the sort of empire against which they had so recently rebelled. More...

JULY 4th: CELEBRATE THE SPIRIT
DECLARE LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL
This Fourth of July while President Bush and his cronies are out and about reveling at patriotic parades and White House festivities ignoring the global outcry against the treatment of prisoners at Abu Graib and Guantanamo Bay; we the people won’t be blinded by the dazzling lights of cheap firecrackers and white house photo-op flashes.

Show your patriotism by observing the 4th in the spirit of our founding mothers and fathers; by standing up to tyranny. After all America was born out of rejecting an unjust government… This time let’s get it right and truly demand liberty and justice for all; not just white men avoiding taxes. It’s our responsibility to demand that our government recognizes the rights of the prisoners being held at Abu Graib and Guantanamo Bay and treat them within the confines of international law. The torture must stop now!

To Honor American Values On Independence Day Coalition Calls For Closing Of Guantanamo Detention Center
This July 4th, a diverse coalition including individuals and organizations ranging from Eve Ensler, Gloria Steinem, The Center for Constitutional Rights, CODEPINK, The Culture Project, Not In Our Name, United For Peace and Justice, and WEDO (Women's Environment & Development Organization) (more names to be added) are asking people across the United States to join the call to shut down the Guantánamo prison camp and demand an immediate independent investigation into the widespread allegations of abuse taking place there. More...

Here are a few great ideas to add some spark to your 4th of July plans and bring attention to mistreatment and abuse happening at the hands of the American government.

I LOVE A PARADE…
Join in with parades happening in your community. Dressed as prisoners at Abu Graib and torture victims from Guantanamo Bay, this great to way to remind people that not everyone is enjoying freedom and justice today.

HAVE A BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR AMERICA OR A BUSH WEENIE ROAST
Invite your friends and neighbors over, have a bbq and take the opportunity to invite the media to show off what 60 percent of America is thinking. See below for great party-favor ideas and fun recipes.

WATCH THE FIREWORKS
Head to the local spot to see the big fireworks display & bring your own soundtrack. Blast out the usual 1812 Overture with a montage of anti-war tunes.

We promise by the end of the show everyone will be singing the chorus to “WAR” -What is it good for?

Renegade Masquerades
Dress up your guests as Bush or Cheney with easy-to-make masks. Create a color photocopy of your favorite photo of your favorite Bush Bandit, enlarging it as needed. Cut out the face; mount it onto cardboard with spray adhesive. Cut around the face with a utility knife. Paint a thin dowel with a lovely shade of pink; when the paint dries, hot-glue the dowel to the back of the mask using a narrow strip of cardboard. Make small slits in the mask to see through. Voila, you’ve got your self a great mask you can use over and over.

Other ideas:

* Dress as pink statues of liberty and march in your city’s parade with signs calling for the troops to come home;

* Have an “Independence from Empire” picnic where you have a dramatic reading of messages from our nation’s founders about the dangers of foreign interventions

* Go to the local festivities dressed in a black cape and hood, “Abu Graib-style”, or in an orange jumpsuit and shackles, with a sign around your neck saying “Liberty and Justice for All” or “Close Guantanamo”

* Join us in declaring your independence from oil – here are some ideas.

see how linkies and reading can be your friend?

More proof that there are crackpots everywhere. :baby4:

It reminds me of when I was in NYC for the Bush Coronation. There were thousands of people in the street with me that made me embarrassed to be within a mile of them.
Many had not disagreements with the Bush administration whatsoever. They just wanted to be on TV. Others were more militants and merely wanted to cause trouble.
One of the best experiences I had did not involve protesting. I was sitting in front of a hotel, discussing issues (in a civil manner) with delegates from New York. Surprisingly, we found a lot of common ground.

It takes all kinds of kooks to make a world. :cow:

Gabriella84 said:
More proof that there are crackpots everywhere. :baby4:

It reminds me of when I was in NYC for the Bush Coronation. There were thousands of people in the street with me that made me embarrassed to be within a mile of them.
Many had not disagreements with the Bush administration whatsoever. They just wanted to be on TV. Others were more militants and merely wanted to cause trouble.
One of the best experiences I had did not involve protesting. I was sitting in front of a hotel, discussing issues (in a civil manner) with delegates from New York. Surprisingly, we found a lot of common ground.

It takes all kinds of kooks to make a world. :cow:

hey Gabby---you ever run across the ones who get paid for protesting?

Forum List

Back