Gabby Giffords

My daughter suffered a severe brain injury as a passenger in freak low speed car crash at the age of 17. At the scene of the wreck, her heart had to be re-started 4 times before she was even stable enough to be put on a life flight. She fell into a number 4 coma within an hour of the accident which is very severe and practically hopeless as far as initial prognosis. A number 3-1 coma is as bad as you can get, (Compete Vegetative State). So I know something about traumatic brain injuries (TBI). From all that I saw on Giffords' injuries, its astonishing she survived, let alone is making, so far, a remarkable recovery. My daughter's personality did change. But if you never knew her before the accident, you would never know she ever received a brain injury, let alone lost approximately 1/3 of her brain function. She just graduated on time with her masters in Speech Pathology. A 6 year medical degree with a 4.0 GPA. She was taught by her many therapists at Baylor Hospital in Dallas, Tx and out-patient treatment afterwards how to do everything for her unique situation, including work extremely hard and effectively to study and permanently retain what she studied. She just started working with TBI patients full time as a State licensed Speech Pathologist. Receiving that State license shows how well she recovered. No state just gives out those license. Sure being a 4 year a speech therapist is one thing...but a 6 year speech pathologist degree / license, (which allows Speech Therapists to legally work under her license number after the Speech Pathologist's 3 year internship), is very hard to attain for anyone. Her neurologist has stated that my daughter's recovery was something he has never seen before. He is amazed and told me there is really no explanation that can explain her recovery with the exception that my daughter has always been very religious. Strangely he is not religious and I lost any religion I had during that whole 7 year event.

I hope Giffords makes at least as an incredible recovery as my daughter did. And actually gets to go to the execution of her assailant if she chooses to.

They're not going to execute him. Didn't you hear? He's not competent to stand trial. Nuttier than a pecan tree, apparently.

Not for now, at least. It's still possible for a defendant who is declared incompetent to be reassessed after treatment and go on trial later.

New Topics

Forum List

Back