Gabby Giffords back in Congress!!

It was a great moment to see the applause on CSPAN suddenly and then see the camera cut to her surrounded by people. My favorite moment was when she was talking with John Lewis who started to cry when he saw her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is she a remarkable woman? Absolutely, yes.

is she a hero? No.

Taking a bullet to the head while in service to our country is very much a hero. And you are very much a hack.

The only real heroes are those that volunteer to defend our country. She's a politician, no thing 'heroic' about that job.

She's made a remarkable recovery - due in no small part to exceptionally good health care professionals - and she has been remarkably brave and fought very hard to recover. I'm pleased she's back, I'm happy she's making such great progress. I have a lot of respect for her.... but we have a habit of branding everyone a 'hero' these days. She just doesn't meet my criteria for 'hero' status.

I've met some heroes. They do the jobs that most of us would run from. They are unique, and Giffords is not one of them. I'd say the same thing no matter what party she belongs to. So, no, I'm not a 'hack', I'm just less inclined to be overly emotional than a lot of people.

Is she a remarkable woman? Absolutely, yes.

is she a hero? No.

Taking a bullet to the head while in service to our country is very much a hero. And you are very much a hack.

The only real heroes are those that volunteer to defend our country. She's a politician, no thing 'heroic' about that job.

She's made a remarkable recovery - due in no small part to exceptionally good health care professionals - and she has been remarkably brave and fought very hard to recover. I'm pleased she's back, I'm happy she's making such great progress. I have a lot of respect for her.... but we have a habit of branding everyone a 'hero' these days. She just doesn't meet my criteria for 'hero' status.

I've met some heroes. They do the jobs that most of us would run from. They are unique, and Giffords is not one of them. I'd say the same thing no matter what party she belongs to. So, no, I'm not a 'hack', I'm just less inclined to be overly emotional than a lot of people.

have you told that to the people who are fire fighters, police men and others who put their lives on the line to save others?

i do not think men/women who volunteer to serve this country consider themselves heroes ....are they not simply doing their job just like ms. gifford was....

too bad one cannot recognize how hard it is to come back from something like this....

have you told that to the people who are fire fighters, police men and others who put their lives on the line to save others?

i do not think men/women who volunteer to serve this country consider themselves heroes ....are they not simply doing their job just like ms. gifford was....

too bad one cannot recognize how hard it is to come back from something like this....

I'll give you that, I worded my comment badly. Police and Firefighters are heroes.

Politicians are not.

Not rocket science.

Reminds me of all of the screams about Sarah Palin targeting Congressional districts. The most innocent word or phrase was condemned by the left as too violent, and may have contributed to the attack.

Yet then these same folks talked last week about the Tea Party being terrorists, strapping explosives to the Capital, blowing everything all to hell. Asking if the Tea Party might lead to another Oklahoma City. Joe Biden said the Tea Party was holding a gun to our heads.

Jeeze......just because we want to cut a little spending we're a worse enemy then Al Qaeda. In fact they call the Tea Party the Taliban wing of the GOP.

Sources: Joe Biden likened tea partiers to terrorists

'They have acted like terrorists,' Biden said, according to several sources in the room.

By JONATHAN ALLEN & JOHN BRESNAHAN | 8/1/11 4:07 PM EDT Updated: 8/2/11 6:19 AM EDT

Vice President Joe Biden joined House Democrats in lashing tea party Republicans Monday, accusing them of having “acted like terrorists” in the fight over raising the nation’s debt limit, according to several sources in the room.

Biden was agreeing with a line of argument made by Rep. Mike Doyle (D-Pa.) at a two-hour, closed-door Democratic Caucus meeting.

“We have negotiated with terrorists,” an angry Doyle said, according to sources in the room. “This small group of terrorists have made it impossible to spend any money.”

Biden, driven by his Democratic allies’ misgivings about the debt-limit deal, responded: “They have acted like terrorists.”

Biden’s office initially declined to comment about what the vice president said inside the closed-door session, but after POLITICO published the remarks, spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said: “The word was used by several members of Congress. The vice president does not believe it’s an appropriate term in political discourse.”

Biden later denied he used that term in an interview with CBS.

“I did not use the terrorism word,” Biden told CBS Evening News anchor and managing editor Scott Pelley.

Earlier in the day, Biden told Senate Democrats that Republican leaders have “guns to their heads” in trying to negotiate deals.
Sources: Joe Biden likened tea partiers to terrorists - Jonathan Allen and John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com

The Dems are unable to use the word "TERRORISM" in describing terrorists, but have no problem using it to describe other Americans.

Reminds me of all of the screams about Sarah Palin targeting Congressional districts. The most innocent word or phrase was condemned by the left as too violent, and may have contributed to the attack.

Yet then these same folks talked last week about the Tea Party being terrorists, strapping explosives to the Capital, blowing everything all to hell. Asking if the Tea Party might lead to another Oklahoma City. Joe Biden said the Tea Party was holding a gun to our heads.

Jeeze......just because we want to cut a little spending we're a worse enemy then Al Qaeda. In fact they call the Tea Party the Taliban wing of the GOP.

Sources: Joe Biden likened tea partiers to terrorists

'They have acted like terrorists,' Biden said, according to several sources in the room.

By JONATHAN ALLEN & JOHN BRESNAHAN | 8/1/11 4:07 PM EDT Updated: 8/2/11 6:19 AM EDT

Vice President Joe Biden joined House Democrats in lashing tea party Republicans Monday, accusing them of having “acted like terrorists” in the fight over raising the nation’s debt limit, according to several sources in the room.

Biden was agreeing with a line of argument made by Rep. Mike Doyle (D-Pa.) at a two-hour, closed-door Democratic Caucus meeting.

“We have negotiated with terrorists,” an angry Doyle said, according to sources in the room. “This small group of terrorists have made it impossible to spend any money.”

Biden, driven by his Democratic allies’ misgivings about the debt-limit deal, responded: “They have acted like terrorists.”

Biden’s office initially declined to comment about what the vice president said inside the closed-door session, but after POLITICO published the remarks, spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said: “The word was used by several members of Congress. The vice president does not believe it’s an appropriate term in political discourse.”

Biden later denied he used that term in an interview with CBS.

“I did not use the terrorism word,” Biden told CBS Evening News anchor and managing editor Scott Pelley.

Earlier in the day, Biden told Senate Democrats that Republican leaders have “guns to their heads” in trying to negotiate deals.
Sources: Joe Biden likened tea partiers to terrorists - Jonathan Allen and John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com

The Dems are unable to use the word "TERRORISM" in describing terrorists, but have no problem using it to describe other Americans.

It's just a typical left wing tactic. They can't openly attack free speech so they try the more devious method of labeling anyone who disagrees with them a potential terrorist.

They're so fucking stupid that they think we don't see straight through their bullshit.

Would she still be a hero if she was hit by a 1972 Buick LeSabre while " serving" ?

Only if it was a conservative in the driving seat.

Sooo... you think the shooter in Tuscon is being judged too harshly for being a Conservative?

Just goes to show how deep and ugly your politics lie.

Truly amazing. She's a woman with alot of guts, drive and determination. A real American Hero no matter how you slice it.

Congrats! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

:thewave:

Gee Sallow, guess you're going to have to amend your stance on Texas, right? She could have gone to New York for her rehab work but made a choice to get the best treatment in the country. A lot like Phil Mickelson who could have brought his wife and mother anywhere for their cancer treatment, they came to Houston Medical Center, M.D. Anderson specifically, for the best treatment they could get anywhere in the world.

why dont you and mudd take your partisan mal to another thread....this is a thread about ms. gifford...

I respect her not quitting and fighting for her life. I think the Doctors that saved her life are the heroes.

And folks like Swallow, who regularly show hatred for us on the right.....spend all of their off time condemning us. And then he tries to take time off by latching onto this story. He feels that all of that is forgotten, all of the anger directed at us because he has consideration for the right popular causes. The Dems barely took time off from calling us terrorists to hug Gabby. I see this for what it is and I'm not buying it.

no doctors cant be heroes....see above...only the military lol....

just let this thread be about ms gifford ....simple as that....and dont we all divert from our political beliefs for some threads?

why dont you and mudd take your partisan mal to another thread....this is a thread about ms. gifford...

I respect her not quitting and fighting for her life. I think the Doctors that saved her life are the heroes.

And folks like Swallow, who regularly show hatred for us on the right.....spend all of their off time condemning us. And then he tries to take time off by latching onto this story. He feels that all of that is forgotten, all of the anger directed at us because he have consideration for the right popular causes. The Dems barely took time off from calling us terrorists to hug Gabby.

I'm not buying it.

You know what? Once again, a ridiculous post bawling about how the "left hates us". What a bunch of bullshit. All we hear from the right wingers is hateful rhetoric... but I guess that rhetoric is OK because it's your side doing it.

We hear this shit every day. You know what? Grow some thicker skin, and a pair of balls and get back to me.

And folks like Swallow, who regularly show hatred for us on the right.....spend all of their off time condemning us. And then he tries to take time off by latching onto this story. He feels that all of that is forgotten, all of the anger directed at us because he have consideration for the right popular causes. The Dems barely took time off from calling us terrorists to hug Gabby.

I'm not buying it.

You know what? Once again, a ridiculous post bawling about how the "left hates us". What a bunch of bullshit. All we hear from the right wingers is hateful rhetoric... but I guess that rhetoric is OK because it's your side doing it.

We hear this shit every day. You know what? Grow some thicker skin, and a pair of balls and get back to me.

Wow, you sure sound tough. Sorry the truth offends you.

I'm just telling it like it is.

I'm not buying it.

Wow, you sure sound tough. Sorry the truth offends you.

I'm just telling it like it is.

Whatever dickhead. Nice try to derail a thread about a person who took a bullet because of her political beliefs and make it about how the poor innocent right wing is so victimized.

I'm done with you.

Forum List

Back