GA School votes to hold graduation in Baptist Church

OK, yeah, someone got butthurt last year when they did it.

Its questioning of where the graduation ceremonies are held began last year with a complaint from someone who attended Sequoyah High School's ceremony in May 2009.

County Superintendent of Schools Dr. Frank Petruzielo recommended the board keep the graduations at the church not only because of its ability to seat any and everyone who shows up, but also because of its low cost to the district.

Petruzielo said, based on his personal experience of attending graduation ceremonies each year, "the eyes of the members of the audience are transfixed" on their children or grandchildren receiving diplomas, not on any religious symbols in the sanctuary.

The district pays the church $2,000 for each school's ceremony at the 7,000-seat facility, which it began using in 2005.

The district staff reported on secular sites in metro Atlanta as well as the county's high schools as possible venues for the ceremonies.

None of the alternate sites had the capacity, comparable costs and the high number of parking needed to rival that of the Woodstock church. Also, some of the venues weren't available during the district's scheduled graduations, which are on May 27 and 28.

School board members said they're more than willing to keep the graduations at the church.

Board member Kim Cochran of Free Home said if she felt there was a violation of a student's constitutional rights, she wouldn't vote to keep the graduations at the church.

"I don't believe it, and I have not believed it," she said.

Board member Mike Chapman of Canton, who noted he was having a John Boehner moment and getting emotional, said he watched both his sons graduate at the church, and it was a great experience.

He added "there's no way I'd vote to not allow that to happen" to other families.

Rob Usher, one of three newly elected school board members sworn into office at the meeting's start, called the church an "awesome" facility and it's "great" the district can use it.

New board member Robert Wofford added it was the board's responsibility to use the best, most cost-efficient space there is for the district.

He also reiterated that for him, the issue is not about religion.

"I'm not voting for a church or against a church," he said.

School board attorney Tom Roach of Canton, who's offered to defend the district's use of the church pro bono, said he feels comfortable defending it as no clear authority has been decided on either side of the case.

And it's still going to be cheaper to litigate than to move the venue.

Cherokee Tribune - School board Graduations to stay at church

(BTW mods, that really isn't the whole article. Not even half of it. That is one long news article for a small town paper.)

Case of first impression? I can't vouch for that, but not much surprises me in Establishment cases anymore. When you have a body of law as fractured and screwed up as that is, just about anything's possible. They really need one, clear, definitive rule everybody can follow and then these flaps wouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of litigation costs exceeding $38k though, especially if either a judgment or appeal is involved. The attorney may not charge for services, but there will be tremendous up front costs involved - especially if this turns into a test case.

Its questioning of where the graduation ceremonies are held began last year with a complaint from someone who attended Sequoyah High School's ceremony in May 2009.

County Superintendent of Schools Dr. Frank Petruzielo recommended the board keep the graduations at the church not only because of its ability to seat any and everyone who shows up, but also because of its low cost to the district.

Petruzielo said, based on his personal experience of attending graduation ceremonies each year, "the eyes of the members of the audience are transfixed" on their children or grandchildren receiving diplomas, not on any religious symbols in the sanctuary.

The district pays the church $2,000 for each school's ceremony at the 7,000-seat facility, which it began using in 2005.

The district staff reported on secular sites in metro Atlanta as well as the county's high schools as possible venues for the ceremonies.

None of the alternate sites had the capacity, comparable costs and the high number of parking needed to rival that of the Woodstock church. Also, some of the venues weren't available during the district's scheduled graduations, which are on May 27 and 28.

School board members said they're more than willing to keep the graduations at the church.

Board member Kim Cochran of Free Home said if she felt there was a violation of a student's constitutional rights, she wouldn't vote to keep the graduations at the church.

"I don't believe it, and I have not believed it," she said.

Board member Mike Chapman of Canton, who noted he was having a John Boehner moment and getting emotional, said he watched both his sons graduate at the church, and it was a great experience.

He added "there's no way I'd vote to not allow that to happen" to other families.

Rob Usher, one of three newly elected school board members sworn into office at the meeting's start, called the church an "awesome" facility and it's "great" the district can use it.

New board member Robert Wofford added it was the board's responsibility to use the best, most cost-efficient space there is for the district.

He also reiterated that for him, the issue is not about religion.

"I'm not voting for a church or against a church," he said.

School board attorney Tom Roach of Canton, who's offered to defend the district's use of the church pro bono, said he feels comfortable defending it as no clear authority has been decided on either side of the case.

(BTW mods, that really isn't the whole article. Not even half of it. That is one long news article for a small town paper.)

Case of first impression? I can't vouch for that, but not much surprises me in Establishment cases anymore. When you have a body of law as fractured and screwed up as that is, just about anything's possible. They really need one, clear, definitive rule everybody can follow and then these flaps wouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of litigation costs exceeding $38k though, especially if either a judgment or appeal is involved. The attorney may not charge for services, but there will be tremendous up front costs involved - especially if this turns into a test case.

Yeah, it could go more than $38,000. But it seems to be what the constituents want.

Sounds like a no-brainer then. it really sucks for our students when it rains. No siblings; grandparents; friends. Even many of the teachers don't go because there is no parking and no place to sit. A 7000 person capacity seems like the best plan for everyone'.

Yeah, it could go more than $38,000. But it seems to be what the constituents want.

Well, it's their taxes.

Forum List

Back