G.W is warming up..

jon_forward

Nov 18, 2003
nashville.tn
John Kerry's Record on Intelligence: "No way to lead a nation in a time of war"

President Bush today addressed Senator Kerry's votes to cut intelligence funding and their serious implications for the war on terror. He also questioned Senator Kerry's belief that the war on terror is not in fact a "war." Here are excerpts from the President's remarks:

"On national security, Americans have the clearest possible choice. My opponent says he approves of bold action in the world, but only if other countries don't object. I'm all for united action, and so are the 34 coalition partners we have in Iraq right now. America must never outsource America's national security decisions to the leaders of other countries.

"Some are skeptical that the war on terror is really a war at all. Just days ago my opponent indicated he's not comfortable using the word, 'war,' to describe the struggle we're in. He said, 'I don't want to use that terminology.' He also said the war on terror is far less of a military operation and far more of an intelligence-gathering, law enforcement operation. I disagree. Our nation followed that approach after the World Trade Center was bombed in 1993. The matter was handled in the courts, and thought by some to be settled. But the terrorists were still training in Afghanistan, plotting in other nations and drawing up more ambitious plans. And after the chaos and carnage of September the 11th, it is not enough to serve our enemies with legal papers. With those attacks, the terrorists and their supporters declared war on the United States of America, and war is what they got.

"One very important part of this war is intelligence-gathering, as Senator Kerry noted. Yet, in 1995, two years after the attack on the World Trade Center, my opponent introduced a bill to cut the overall intelligence budget by one-and-a-half billion dollars. His bill was so deeply irresponsible that he didn't have a single co-sponsor in the United States Senate. Once again, Senator Kerry is trying to have it both ways. He's for good intelligence, yet he was willing to gut the intelligence services. And that is no way to lead a nation in a time of war.

part of statements made by G.W. yesterday in Texas.....to read the entire speech....
link

Of course the President is warming up. He has tons of material to stand on higher ground than kerry with.

I mean look at Kerry's campaign strategy. Slash Intelligence for 20 years and complain about your opponents problems with foreign intelligence.

New Topics

Forum List

Back