G*D*m USGA just screwed Dustin Johnson!!

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Rules official made his call, no penalty on Johnson. One hour later USGA officials interject themselves into the tournament and warn Johnson "he may be assessed a penalty after all". What a crock, that's like over-ruling an umpire an hour after he makes an out call at the plate. "Oh well we looked at it again and he was safe. You lose. Fucking douche bags just ruined the US Open.

Rules official made his call, no penalty on Johnson. One hour later USGA officials interject themselves into the tournament and warn Johnson "he may be assessed a penalty after all". What a crock, that's like over-ruling an umpire an hour after he makes an out call at the plate. "Oh well we looked at it again and he was safe. You lose. Fucking douche bags just ruined the US Open.
I dunno.
Johnson grounds his putter twice and the ball moves
I can see some concern
But to come in later...that's not fair.

Congrats Dustin Johnson, and F* Off USGA!
It was a good call in the end. There would have been a cloud over the whole situation.
1 stroke penalty, Johnson won. Air is cleared and there is closure.
I'm not particularly a Johnson fan. He seems to have the same morals as Tiger Woods
Hey but the Americans won.

Congrats Dustin Johnson, and F* Off USGA!
It was a good call in the end. There would have been a cloud over the whole situation.
1 stroke penalty, Johnson won. Air is cleared and there is closure.
I'm not particularly a Johnson fan. He seems to have the same morals as Tiger Woods
Hey but the Americans won.
I don't agree that it was a good call at all. Total joke.

He clearly and I mean clearly did not in any way shape or form cause the ball to move.

He did not ground the club when he addressed it. The ruling was made by a walking official. Which means the ruling was made period.

It was beyond a joke and 99.9% of the golf world know it, including seasoned pros.

The two morons ought to be fired imo. Why have walking officials if their rulings are not going to be honored?

IF, the USGA ruled that DJ caused the ball to move then they should disqualify him for not following the rules. What I think they did was add some suspense to the end of the game. I am thinking that had he won by one stroke they would have ruled otherwise.

The penalty is, one stroke returning the ball to where it moved from. How can DJ do that 1 hour later?

The movement was away from the hole thus it did not aid DJ.

Two, if a person can not ground their club on the green, as he had done 9 holes before then what the hell are they suppose to do?

The USGA proved to be rather stupid in this move.

The pro at my club gave me an interesting theory and thinking about what he said, I think he might be right. I believe it was hole 10, where Dustin Johnson got relief cause of a TV tower in his "line of sight" to the green. Well, he was allowed to get a two club length relief. Just so happened to give him a great lie from a spot where his ball was buried in the rough.

Well, it was shortly after that that the official from the USGA (Jeff Hall) came up to him to let him know they are reviewing the putt from hole 5. I think (according to my pro) the USGA was offended how Dustin Johnson took advantage of a technicality and used their rules to give him a great lie. I think they thought to themselves that if he is going to do that and get relief due to a technicality then we are going to see if we can use a technicality against him.

Now, on it surface it seems absurd. However, after thinking about it, the notion that he moved the ball was equally absurd. So, what would motivate the USGA officials to create a problem where it was BEYOND OBVIOUS that he did nothing to move the ball on that putt? Especially when the walking official at the time already made a ruling. Then it was pretty much right after Dustin Johnson got that line of sight relief. I think it is entirely possible that the USGA became a bit irate that Johnson was awarded that based on tecnicality.

BTW, after Johnson got that relief, the TV tower was STILL IN HIS LINE SIGHT. He, of course, all of a sudden had a great lie in the short grass and he hit the ball right over the tower.

The pro at my club gave me an interesting theory and thinking about what he said, I think he might be right. I believe it was hole 10, where Dustin Johnson got relief cause of a TV tower in his "line of sight" to the green. Well, he was allowed to get a two club length relief. Just so happened to give him a great lie from a spot where his ball was buried in the rough.

Well, it was shortly after that that the official from the USGA (Jeff Hall) came up to him to let him know they are reviewing the putt from hole 5. I think (according to my pro) the USGA was offended how Dustin Johnson took advantage of a technicality and used their rules to give him a great lie. I think they thought to themselves that if he is going to do that and get relief due to a technicality then we are going to see if we can use a technicality against him.

Now, on it surface it seems absurd. However, after thinking about it, the notion that he moved the ball was equally absurd. So, what would motivate the USGA officials to create a problem where it was BEYOND OBVIOUS that he did nothing to move the ball on that putt? Especially when the walking official at the time already made a ruling. Then it was pretty much right after Dustin Johnson got that line of sight relief. I think it is entirely possible that the USGA became a bit irate that Johnson was awarded that based on tecnicality.

BTW, after Johnson got that relief, the TV tower was STILL IN HIS LINE SIGHT. He, of course, all of a sudden had a great lie in the short grass and he hit the ball right over the tower.

I don't like the line of sight rulings. Unless the tower moved there after DJ hit his shot then it is the rub of the green. Besides, DJ hit his shot right over top of the tower. But I doubt that the USGA is getting pay back.

I don't like the line of sight rulings. Unless the tower moved there after DJ hit his shot then it is the rub of the green. Besides, DJ hit his shot right over top of the tower. But I doubt that the USGA is getting pay back.
I did not really think they would try to get pay back, but I have met these officials. Trust me, they are filled with pride and arrogant. I have actually heard them talking about making rulings to "even things out" if they feel a golfer has bent the rules in their favor.

They could never admit it obviously in public. Yes, the moving of the ball for Johnson to me was a bit ridiculous. The tower was still in his line sight after they moved the ball and he hit it right over the tower.

Not saying the USGA did do it, but it would not shock me if they did. I know they would have been GREATLY offended by Johnson using the line of sight technicality in that situation. It was only a very short time after Johnson did that, that the USGA approached him. Cannot dismiss the timing.

I did not really think they would try to get pay back, but I have met these officials. Trust me, they are filled with pride and arrogant. I have actually heard them talking about making rulings to "even things out" if they feel a golfer has bent the rules in their favor.

They could never admit it obviously in public. Yes, the moving of the ball for Johnson to me was a bit ridiculous. The tower was still in his line sight after they moved the ball and he hit it right over the tower.

Not saying the USGA did do it, but it would not shock me if they did. I know they would have been GREATLY offended by Johnson using the line of sight technicality in that situation. It was only a very short time after Johnson did that, that the USGA approached him. Cannot dismiss the timing.

As much as I don't like the line of sight rule it is hardly a technicality. It is a rule that all the players play by and has been used several times. I remember when Els won one of his first s the same thing happened. In his case it greatly improved his shot.

If are going to have this rule I think it should say, two club lengths within the rough no closer to the hole. But to say that using the rules in a game that is dominated by playing within the rules seems not to make sense.

As much as I don't like the line of sight rule it is hardly a technicality. It is a rule that all the players play by and has been used several times. I remember when Els won one of his first s the same thing happened. In his case it greatly improved his shot.

If are going to have this rule I think it should say, two club lengths within the rough no closer to the hole. But to say that using the rules in a game that is dominated by playing within the rules seems not to make sense.
Oh I agree with the rule, however in that particular instance, Dustin Johnson clearly used it to get himself a better lie. He used it in that case as a technicality. I mean he went from virtually NO LIE deep in the rough to a lie that was perfect.

Like I said, after the move the tower was still in the line of sight. He went over the tower. And yes I agree within the rough. Of course that could lead to other problems.

Oh I agree with the rule, however in that particular instance, Dustin Johnson clearly used it to get himself a better lie. He used it in that case as a technicality. I mean he went from virtually NO LIE deep in the rough to a lie that was perfect.

Like I said, after the move the tower was still in the line of sight. He went over the tower. And yes I agree within the rough. Of course that could lead to other problems.

I don't really understand the rule. Two club lengths most times will no help in the line of sight as witnessed in the case with DJ. But it is the rules and DJ followed the rules.

USGA frequently looks asinine enforcing nonsense rules. Anyone who plays golf regularly knows that the ball sometimes moves with nothing touching it. Usually the ball is being supported by blades of grass, and the grass just folds gradually underneath the ball, causing the movement.

If this ruling had affected the outcome of the Open, there would be a revolt by golf fans around the world, and someone would have been fired. They dodged a bullet.

USGA frequently looks asinine enforcing nonsense rules. Anyone who plays golf regularly knows that the ball sometimes moves with nothing touching it. Usually the ball is being supported by blades of grass, and the grass just folds gradually underneath the ball, causing the movement.

If this ruling had affected the outcome of the Open, there would be a revolt by golf fans around the world, and someone would have been fired. They dodged a bullet.
I think someone should still be fired. It has set a dubious precedent.

Forum List

Back