FuzzyKitten: Antibacterial Madness

Nienna

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ohio
I bought a pack of pens today. They are Papermate Flexgrip Elites. On the package it said that they have "Anti-Bacterial Pen Protection."

Seriously. Anti-bacterial pens. Wow.

A great way to encourage the mutation of more medication resistant bacteria.
Does anyone have any idea how dangerous this is?
I don't see how the soap could do this being they aren't any better than regular soap. I thought that came from the over use of antibiotics.

I don't see how the soap could do this being they aren't any better than regular soap. I thought that came from the over use of antibiotics.

The more germs are exposed to "anti-bacterials", the easier it is for them to mutate into a form that is immune to the medicines we currently use to save lives with.

I bought a pack of pens today. They are Papermate Flexgrip Elites. On the package it said that they have "Anti-Bacterial Pen Protection."

Seriously. Anti-bacterial pens. Wow.
uhhh...now they have gone too far. Are they gonna start sanitizing money and credit cards now?? :rolleyes:

I try not to buy anti-bacterial stuff because it is essentially a pesticide that is in that stuff. And you have an immune system for a reason-let it get some practice. You're not even supposed to use anitbacterial anything on baby stuff that has the slightest chance of getting to the baby's mouth or on their hands because the antibacterial agent leaves a poisonous residue. I learned this from my aunt who is an anesthesiologist at the U of M hospital. Even the hospitals are sticking to steam/heat sterilization, because the antibacterial stuff is starting to lead to super-bugs that aren't affected by them any longer.

Soap and water is all that is needed. Disinfectants are used very sparingly if at all.

The more germs are exposed to "anti-bacterials", the easier it is for them to mutate into a form that is immune to the medicines we currently use to save lives with.

What actually happens is that some microbes are resistant to the anti-bacterial (or antibiotic) substances, and some aren't. The ones that are survive to reproduce. This is how we are breeding a drug-resistant microbial population.

Hummmmm..I’m on a different page I guess. My understanding of the potential harm of anti-bacterial soaps is their effectiveness. We need some bacteria on our hands that are transferred into our body that will enhance our immune system. That makes the constant use of anti-bacterial soap a danger. Without this natural process we become more susceptible to illness.

Hummmmm..I’m on a different page I guess. My understanding of the potential harm of anti-bacterial soaps is their effectiveness. We need some bacteria on our hands that are transferred into our body that will enhance our immune system. That makes the constant use of anti-bacterial soap a danger. Without this natural process we become more susceptible to illness.

That is another aspect. Yet another is the fact that bacteria keep harmful viruses and fungi in check. Whenever my kids went on antibiotics, for ear infections or whatever, they always got a bad diaper rash. Dr said it was actually a yeast overgrowth because the antib's killed the bacteria that normally keep the yeast in check.

I'm with you. Some of the teachers are big on using anti-bacterials all around their rooms-they still get the colds from the kids. I don't. Now I will admit while working at the bank I would use antibacterial wipe, before opening gum or mints-money is very, very dirty. I figure I'll take an occassional wipe and chances there, rather than risk e-coli or something like it.

I'm with you. Some of the teachers are big on using anti-bacterials all around their rooms-they still get the colds from the kids. I don't. Now I will admit while working at the bank I would use antibacterial wipe, before opening gum or mints-money is very, very dirty. I figure I'll take an occassional wipe and chances there, rather than risk e-coli or something like it.
in my HS biology class, we did swabs on several surfaces to show different strains of bacteria (good and bad) on every day things. We did the bottom of a shoe, money (both paper and coin), someone's mouth, someone's palm, the underside of one of the desks, one of the bricks in the hallway wall, and the door knob.

The money had the most in number and severity- including e. coli and salmonella. The next was the shoe tread, but I can't remember the rest of the order.

in my HS biology class, we did swabs on several surfaces to show different strains of bacteria (good and bad) on every day things. We did the bottom of a shoe, money (both paper and coin), someone's mouth, someone's palm, the underside of one of the desks, one of the bricks in the hallway wall, and the door knob.

The money had the most in number and severity- including e. coli and salmonella. The next was the shoe tread, but I can't remember the rest of the order.

My guess #3 would be the bottom of a purse/handbag. Uggg.

That is another aspect. Yet another is the fact that bacteria keep harmful viruses and fungi in check. Whenever my kids went on antibiotics, for ear infections or whatever, they always got a bad diaper rash. Dr said it was actually a yeast overgrowth because the antib's killed the bacteria that normally keep the yeast in check.
my aunt says it takes the body's intestines take about 9-11 months after finishing the meds, to recover back to their normal state.

Forum List

Back