Fusion is the future and the future is near! what does this mean for Politics?

Nuclear fusion on brink of being realised, say MIT scientists

Progress in Fusion - How has the technology advanced?

MIT Achieves Breakthrough in Nuclear Fusion - Helium-3 Nuclear Fusion Increases Ion Energy

What does this do to some of the conversations we have been having? This stuff is likely to be producing electricity for you in the next ten years. What this does to the cost of manufactoring as factories and companies will be relieved of huge energy bills. Makes pollutant energy obsolete. Allows those materials to be used in construction materials instead. It cures a great deal of the arguments we are having! I wonder what unforseen arguments it will create? I hope you all weigh in.
Helium-3 is why we need a permanent presence on the Moon, the theory is that the surface is covered with it.
It probably is, but first we need a market for it. Than't won't happen until the perfect fusion.
It is not a question of lack of tech at this point it is a question of scaling. There is no known issue with scaling it to commercial levels at this time. How ever we have thought this before when scaling other tech and then we go and do it and discover these issues. I am very excited but we wil not know if there is no issues with scaling unti we actually do it. We are in this process right now. It will be five years till the first large reactors are made and put into testing. My fingers are crossed. This could be a real game changer as to what humans can actually achieve. I do not know how old you are but if you are younger than me there is a real possibilty that fusion will be online and astroid mining will be a norm in your life time.
MIT and Rockwell are working on smaller reactors that use superconductors to create the magnetic bottle. They won't need to be "scaled." Still, until this technology is perfected, there's no market for Helium 3.

MIT Achieves Breakthrough in Nuclear Fusion - Helium-3 Nuclear Fusion Increases Ion Energy

What does this do to some of the conversations we have been having? This stuff is likely to be producing electricity for you in the next ten years. What this does to the cost of manufactoring as factories and companies will be relieved of huge energy bills. Makes pollutant energy obsolete. Allows those materials to be used in construction materials instead. It cures a great deal of the arguments we are having! I wonder what unforseen arguments it will create? I hope you all weigh in.
Helium-3 is why we need a permanent presence on the Moon, the theory is that the surface is covered with it.
It probably is, but first we need a market for it. Than't won't happen until the perfect fusion.
It is not a question of lack of tech at this point it is a question of scaling. There is no known issue with scaling it to commercial levels at this time. How ever we have thought this before when scaling other tech and then we go and do it and discover these issues. I am very excited but we wil not know if there is no issues with scaling unti we actually do it. We are in this process right now. It will be five years till the first large reactors are made and put into testing. My fingers are crossed. This could be a real game changer as to what humans can actually achieve. I do not know how old you are but if you are younger than me there is a real possibilty that fusion will be online and astroid mining will be a norm in your life time.
MIT and Rockwell are working on smaller reactors that use superconductors to create the magnetic bottle. They won't need to be "scaled." Still, until this technology is perfected, there's no market for Helium 3.
We will know how close they are pretty soon. If not in our life time our grand children. We are also creating utra strong ultra light building materials that will be able to be moved with much less energy even with current tech to hold us over until fusion is there. These things give me a great deal of hope.

We will know how close they are pretty soon. If not in our life time our grand children. We are also creating utra strong ultra light building materials that will be able to be moved with much less energy even with current tech to hold us over until fusion is there. These things give me a great deal of hope.
It's already getting to the point where air resistance is the critical factor when it comes to gas mileage. Lighter materials won't help much.

It's already getting to the point where air resistance is the critical factor when it comes to gas mileage. Lighter materials won't help much.
There is research in that area also where they are creating magnetic fields around moving vehicle to cut that down also. We are not as far advanced in that tech as the other discussed but we also recently are making leaps and bounds in AI design that is evidently very good at predicting out comes of experiments with out actually running them in reality. It is possible we could be on the verge of discoveries you and I can not even imagine at this point. Excting time to be alive. The fight is not over but we have real reason to be very excited.

Forum List

Back