Fury

Sgt_Gath

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2014

Fury

Now.... This. This was one Hell of a movie.

Frankly, it's almost kind of hard to describe. The trailer tries to sell it as being a simple action movie.

The reality is that, for the first half of its running time at least, this film was probably one the single most bleak, gruesome, and depressing films about war I had ever seen.

It was at least on par with Saving Private Ryan in terms of blood, gore, and horrifying imagery. The tone, however, was more akin to something like Apocalypse Now on crack cocaine.

In typical "Heart of Darkness" fashion, it carries you from one disturbing and hopeless set-piece to another, never allowing a single spot of hope. Characters die, almost without the movie even taking note of it, and anyone who seems to be "good" or "uncorrupted" (with one notable exception) can be reliably counted upon to die horribly within a few minutes of being introduced.

And then... Then you get to the last 30 minutes... And the film basically turns into 300 in a tank.
icon_lol.gif

This was a bit jarring in terms of mood, and it's ultimate outcome was predictable, to say the least. However, it was still exciting and well done in its own right. It was honestly a bit like the ending to the Wild Bunch.

Frankly, I'm not really sure how I feel about that.

On the one hand, the sudden mood shift keeps the film from being as powerful as it could have been. This is something of a shame.

On the other, however, I can't even imagine how I would've felt walking out of the theater if the entire film had been as soul-crushingly bleak and inhuman as the first half. The director probably did us all a favor.
icon_lol.gif

Overall: I'd give this one an 9 out of 10.

Last edited:
We didn't have crack cocaine over in Apocalypse Now. We had pretty much everything else though. So I guess what you're saying is that this is sort of a war movie...more or less?

Yes, and a particularly gritty and shocking one at that. lol

Forum List

Back