Furor Erupts Over Atheist Display At State Capitol

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
We have had this debate over issues of religious displays and celebrations often. It would seem intolerance of another is only recognized in the other. So what to think of this?

Furor Erupts Over Atheist Display At Illinois State Capitol - cbs2chicago.com

"The sign reads: "At the time of the winter solstice, let reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is just myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.""

We have had this debate over issues of religious displays and celebrations often. It would seem intolerance of another is only recognized in the other. So what to think of this?

"The sign reads: "At the time of the winter solstice, let reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is just myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.""

Intolerance? The sign blares intolerance. But then facts never were your strong point. He was wrong to try and take it down, though I agree it should sit away from the Christmas tree.

I am all for free speech, so if you must, by all means, but still think about this, maybe Christmas, or Winter Solstice, (Summer Solstice down here) is a time to say what you believe in, what you love and care about, not argue about why you think other people are wrong to believe in what they love and care about.

If you can not handle that few weeks out of the year than why not just enjoy the shopping sales?

Last edited:
So let me see if i understand you correctly:

Christians, Jews, or any other religion having a public display of their faith is intolerant of others.

Athiests publically insulting everyone is an example of tolerance to you.

Makes perfect sense.

Just so you know, if you want people to be tolerant of what you believe and do, then dont piss them off by going out of your way to insult them.

Let see---If atheism is a religion, and its proponents spread atheism, what message should they say that implies no Gods, Heaven or hell yet is politically correct enough not to anger believers??

I do not know--so let us just stick to no public display of religious beliefs, OK?

There is a big difference between a religious display and a protest sign. Yes, it is a religious issue, but it is a protest that sparked the problem. You atheists need to realize that there is a God, and He is your God as well as ours.

Protesting religion and displaying it are not the same thing. I think there is a place for both, but the atheists need to realize that it works both ways. You guys protest our faith and proclamation of it, but you never seem to just tolerate it. You preach tolerance and hypocritically plaster intolerance all over everything.

While I think I would have tried another approach, I don't think you have anything to complain about since atheists are the ones who are starting all the religious wars everywhere anyway.

There is a big difference between a religious display and a protest sign. Yes, it is a religious issue, but it is a protest that sparked the problem. You atheists need to realize that there is a God, and He is your God as well as ours.

Protesting religion and displaying it are not the same thing. I think there is a place for both, but the atheists need to realize that it works both ways. You guys protest our faith and proclamation of it, but you never seem to just tolerate it. You preach tolerance and hypocritically plaster intolerance all over everything.

While I think I would have tried another approach, I don't think you have anything to complain about since atheists are the ones who are starting all the religious wars everywhere anyway.

There is something that I have always found puzzling--when an one talks of God, what comes to their mind? Is it Magical clouds, A person with many wings? An emotion? An object? A method to live by? A building, An item, an idea?

I always found this question wierd. Is God conscious or unconscious? Did God create the universe or is God apart of the universe? Well, depending on how one approach the question "What is God?" the question of belief/disbelief in a person is determined by the answer to that question..

So when you say "There is a God" what do you really mean--because I have yet to realize your concept of what God is.

There is something that I have always found puzzling--when an one talks of God, what comes to their mind? Is it Magical clouds, A person with many wings? An emotion? An object? A method to live by? A building, An item, an idea?

I always found this question wierd. Is God conscious or unconscious? Did God create the universe or is God apart of the universe? Well, depending on how one approach the question "What is God?" the question of belief/disbelief in a person is determined by the answer to that question..

So when you say "There is a God" what do you really mean--because I have yet to realize your concept of what God is.

God is everything, god is nothing.

Interesting replies. My take on it was if you are going to allow one person the right to post their beliefs then allow all. But I see the contrary position too, if one simply criticizes the other then that is wrong. But is it? And why. Some Christians do not celebrate Christmas, so could they then post a sign saying these other Christians are wrong? Why not and how would that differ from the atheist? ( I'm playing devil advocate here as I actually go to the wonderful services this time of year. We may not believe as you do but we still enjoy the ceremony and song.)

Last edited:
My thought is that I have no problem with their religious display. They had a permit. They displayed it beside a nativity scene. Seems fair that if the birth of our savior is depicted inside the capital that an opposing viewpoint should be afforded the same privilege as long as it is in good taste.

I would, however, not pay any attention to their display.

Immie

What's the big deal? Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because of a Nativity scene or because some atheist feels the need to insult religion with their display.

Last edited:

I suppose that is a fair question. I don't believe man has the words to nail down a real definition of who God is. However, Man did nail down that idea clearly when they nailed Jesus to a cross to pay our debt of sin. (John 3:16) Love seems to fit that part of the definition. Not an emotion, not an idea, Love is the very life that is in God.

We can only use terms thatmankind can relate to, but God is much more. He makes Himself known in the awesomeness of His creation. (Romans 1) Of course some choose not to believe there is anything about God in all that is.

Everything about God is justice, and perfect justice radiates in love. However, mankind cannot see justice as God does, so we cannot use that in the definition.

Perfect in righteousness is God, but man cannot relate because man sees righteousness relative to badness. For man there is no absolute good, or absolute bad. Man has a way of justifying even the most evil things through relative thinking.

God is not my concept of Him, or your concept of Him, ot anyone's concept of Him. God is who He is, and He has made Himself known to everyone even though some refuse to yield to that very present revelation.

We cannot know God completely now. We will know Him when we come into His absolute presence.

I know that is not much for the non-believer, but that is all I have.

Interesting replies. My take on it was if you are going to allow one person the right to post their beliefs than allow all. But I see the contrary position too, if one simply criticizes the other than that is wrong. But is it? And why. Some Christians do not celebrate Christmas, so could they then post a sign saying these other Christians are wrong? Why not and how would that differ from the atheist? ( I'm playing devil advocate here as I actually go to the wonderful services this time of year. We may not believe as you do but we still enjoy the ceremony and song.)

I dont believe i ever said anything is wrong. I believe in free speech.

However, I think its foolish to pretend that people getting upset when others publicaly mock and insult them is somehow intolerant.

Should we be tolerant of intolerant messages? interesting question.

The sign reads: "At the time of the winter solstice, let reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is just myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

You precious, thin-skinned believers need to man up a bit here. The whining is ridiculous. The fool who tried to disturb the sign seems to represent you well. If any of you believers think this is an insult then you need to grow a fucking brain. For the slow, the italicised was an insult. :lol:

Saying there is no such thing as "magic" is hate speech?

Hate speech? i dislike that term. There is too much political baggage with it. Intolerant, mocking, condescending, etc, maybe that be more appropriate.

As for the actual content, well you have a very odd definition of what magic is. To you magic is anything you dont understand.

The sign reads: "At the time of the winter solstice, let reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is just myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

You precious, thin-skinned believers need to man up a bit here. The whining is ridiculous. The fool who tried to disturb the sign seems to represent you well. If any of you believers think this is an insult then you need to grow a fucking brain. For the slow, the italicised was an insult. :lol:

So saying someone's mind is enslaved isnt an insult?

Where was that said/written?

I'd like to add another twist to this argument over whether the atheist has the right to post their sign. Suppose the atheist - just as the Christian would feel - feels that their statement is honest and helpful. After all, would 911 have happened if the 19 idiots puzzled over the statement?

Forum List

Back