Funny Clip showing conservative hypocrisy

Let me answer your question with a question; have you ever been on welfare or food stamps?

If you want to know what is really wrong about welfare, I'll tell you what I think. I think it is stupid that when someone is on welfare (they don't get much), that if they take a part-time job, they lose in welfare the amount that they earn. Basically, they are being told not to better themselves. Most on welfare can't just get a great paying job right away to get off of welfare. They need training, whether it be through education or on the job training, and it takes time. But the way welfare programs are set up, they keep people from trying to better themselves.

I have never personally been on welfare, but I have been involved with several cases.

The most egregious example, though not the only one, with which I am familiar was a young mother recently divorced from an abusive husband. The woman had no family as she an only child whose parents had already died. She had two children ages 2 and 10, one by the husband, the elder from before her marriage. She took public assistance AKA welfare. For a little over three years. When the older daughter could care for the younger (legal restriction in the state of residence set a minimum age for such care) she set out to get a job. She informed her case worker of her intent when she began the job search. When she found a job, she informed her case worker of her hours and pay rate (Can you say minimum wage?) and filled out the appropriate paper work, returning it to her case worker. A month later she had received an "automatic" allotment which paid her utility bill. She went to the welfare office to clear up the problem and pay it herself.
The case worker had not properly filed the paperwork.
A supervisor decided to "make an example" of the "welfare cheat" and took her to court.
The woman lost. She was billed for all the court costs, which were onerous, as well as a heavy (for someone on minimum wage) fine, as well as "punitive" damages equal to triple the original utility bill. The welfare office offered to drop the charge if she would just "quit her job"

I call that a trap of the worst sort.

No matter how you slice it, the statement from Beck's guest:

"I've been on food stamps and welfare. Did anybody help me out? No!" (Craig T. Nelson)

is a really

really

really

stupendously stupid thing to say.

I have never personally been on welfare, but I have been involved with several cases.

The most egregious example, though not the only one, with which I am familiar was a young mother recently divorced from an abusive husband. The woman had no family as she an only child whose parents had already died. She had two children ages 2 and 10, one by the husband, the elder from before her marriage. She took public assistance AKA welfare. For a little over three years. When the older daughter could care for the younger (legal restriction in the state of residence set a minimum age for such care) she set out to get a job. She informed her case worker of her intent when she began the job search. When she found a job, she informed her case worker of her hours and pay rate (Can you say minimum wage?) and filled out the appropriate paper work, returning it to her case worker. A month later she had received an "automatic" allotment which paid her utility bill. She went to the welfare office to clear up the problem and pay it herself.
The case worker had not properly filed the paperwork.
A supervisor decided to "make an example" of the "welfare cheat" and took her to court.
The woman lost. She was billed for all the court costs, which were onerous, as well as a heavy (for someone on minimum wage) fine, as well as "punitive" damages equal to triple the original utility bill. The welfare office offered to drop the charge if she would just "quit her job"

I call that a trap of the worst sort.

and many,want these types to tell them all about what you can and cant do if you get ill.......

Yeah auditor I was on food stamps for a brief period of time in the mid eighties. It sucked to the max it was demeaning as hell and not nearly enough. Damn assholes down at human diservices told us we could get even more help if she'd divorce me. We told them to get screwed. I got more and better help at Neighbor for Neighbor and various churces in the area.

Yeah auditor I was on food stamps for a brief period of time

I got more and better help at Neighbor for Neighbor and various churces in the area.
Exactly. Charity begins at home and the Church. The government is not a charity and should not be in the charity business as they invariably make a mess of it.

Forum List

Back