Funerary Observance Forum

Bookplate-2.jpg

I think when the Pope dies they tap him on the noggin with a silver hammer 3 times and call his name. If he doesn't respond, then he's dead. Shouldn't this work for the Irish too???????:confused:

yes, they do and that knock and calling his name is a derivation of the old Roman practice of calling the apparent deads name 3 times to ensure ...hes dead;) They added the hammer thing much later on ala papal practices I believe.

I don't know if that's a real term but I like it.

To get us started....

I am currently enamored of the Irish Wake. I mean, what better way to pay tribute to the dead than to get really drunk, raucous, and abusive?

There is a rumor that the Irish Wake sprung from the necessity of hanging out with the dead person for a couple of days to make sure they were really dead, and not just languishing due to a good bout of lead poisoning, brought on by drinking waaay too much booze out of pewter mugs...

The Irish Wake: Irish Wakes, Funeral Customs and Traditions

Jewish funeral with a twist. Put me in the ground within 24 hours of death and then party for a week on my behalf. Sammiches,ribs,hot dogs,hamburgers,fried chicken, pizza, beer, ganja, whiskey etc. just sit and get shit faced for a week with frequent toasts to me.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back