Funerary Observance Forum

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
I don't know if that's a real term but I like it.

To get us started....

I am currently enamored of the Irish Wake. I mean, what better way to pay tribute to the dead than to get really drunk, raucous, and abusive?

There is a rumor that the Irish Wake sprung from the necessity of hanging out with the dead person for a couple of days to make sure they were really dead, and not just languishing due to a good bout of lead poisoning, brought on by drinking waaay too much booze out of pewter mugs...

The Irish Wake: Irish Wakes, Funeral Customs and Traditions

Throwing up on the dead is frowned upon, however.

But it's okay to throw up on each other, or yourself.

Tripping over the casket and knocking the corpse on the floor is also frowned upon, but if everybody is drunk enough, nobody will remember who did it.

I think when the Pope dies they tap him on the noggin with a silver hammer 3 times and call his name. If he doesn't respond, then he's dead. Shouldn't this work for the Irish too???????:confused:

If it doesn't, it should...

Alcohol is not advised for certain rituals, however....

The Sky burial, for example, where Buddhist monks dissect the deceased and feed them to the vultures (sometimes they skip the dissecting, but you wouldn't want to be drunk just in case you are called upon to chop up someone):

"
In most accounts, vultures are given the whole body. When only the bones remained, they are broken up with mallets, ground with tsampa (barley flour with tea and yak butter or milk), and given to crows and hawks that have waited until the vultures had departed.
In several accounts, the flesh was stripped from the bones and given to vultures without further preparation; the bones then were broken up with sledgehammers, and usually mixed with tsampa before being given to the vultures. Many rogyapa first feed the bones and cartilage to the vultures, keeping the best flesh until last. After having had their fill of good quality meat, the birds usually fly away - leaving the bones and less favored bits.
In one account, the leading rogyapa cut off the limbs and hacked the body to pieces, handing each part to his assistants, who used rocks to pound the flesh and bones together to a pulp, which they mixed with tsampa before the vultures were summoned to eat."

Sky burial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think they are toasty but I wouldn't eat a marshmallow roasted over one.

I think...no tongues.

Unless you're talking about tongue sammiches at the wake.

If it doesn't, it should...

Alcohol is not advised for certain rituals, however....

The Sky burial, for example, where Buddhist monks dissect the deceased and feed them to the vultures (sometimes they skip the dissecting, but you wouldn't want to be drunk just in case you are called upon to chop up someone):

"
In most accounts, vultures are given the whole body. When only the bones remained, they are broken up with mallets, ground with tsampa (barley flour with tea and yak butter or milk), and given to crows and hawks that have waited until the vultures had departed.
In several accounts, the flesh was stripped from the bones and given to vultures without further preparation; the bones then were broken up with sledgehammers, and usually mixed with tsampa before being given to the vultures. Many rogyapa first feed the bones and cartilage to the vultures, keeping the best flesh until last. After having had their fill of good quality meat, the birds usually fly away - leaving the bones and less favored bits.
In one account, the leading rogyapa cut off the limbs and hacked the body to pieces, handing each part to his assistants, who used rocks to pound the flesh and bones together to a pulp, which they mixed with tsampa before the vultures were summoned to eat."

Sky burial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That rather resembles "grokking" aka Valentine Michael Smith, except people got to eat the goodies....or Martians, if you happen to be in that vicinity.

Eat..the goodies?

Could I move you for a link? This bears investigation...

I think...no tongues.

Unless you're talking about tongue sammiches at the wake.

Whose tongue in those sammiches? Would that be what those monks be eatin'?

You tell me...

IMG_0015.jpg

I don't know if that's a real term but I like it.

To get us started....

I am currently enamored of the Irish Wake. I mean, what better way to pay tribute to the dead than to get really drunk, raucous, and abusive?

There is a rumor that the Irish Wake sprung from the necessity of hanging out with the dead person for a couple of days to make sure they were really dead, and not just languishing due to a good bout of lead poisoning, brought on by drinking waaay too much booze out of pewter mugs...

The Irish Wake: Irish Wakes, Funeral Customs and Traditions

you'd make an excellent guest of honor

Forum List

Back