Funding NPR

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
. National Public Radio: The House voted to entirely defund public radio, but Democrats in the Senate are standing firm to protect “A Prairie Home Companion.” If the programming is so wonderful, why can’t it compete in the marketplace

One must wonder whether the same Democrats would be in favour of passing a bill that would give public funding to, say, Fox News.

I agree. The Left is hypocritical. And like you, I want government out of media.

Too late though.

We have a fully monopolized media market where 10 mega-corps own all the major outlets. Those corporations pour billions into Washington, i.e., the state has become a reflex of business. There is no difference between the Vice President and the CEO of Halliburton, or the Federal Reserve and the CEO of Goldman.

None of the major media outlets offered a counterpoint on the eve of the Iraq War because they are fully integrated into the corporatist state - where concentrated capital owns the monopoly power of Big Brother.

The NPR thing is silly. It distracts people from the corporate ownership of American opinion- it creates the impression that capital is under siege from the state controlled media.

Noam Chomsky is not as far to the Left as FOX is to the Right, yet Noam Chomsky is not allowed to speak on any mainstream media outlet, including NPR.

If you get rid of NPR tomorrow, the only thing you will lose is a few monotone voices talking about cake recipes. If they represent the revolutionary Left, than we've come a long way from the student radicals of the 60's.

The fact that the Rightwing punditry has been able to obscure the difference between NPR and Karl Marx tells you everything you need to know about who owns media and controls opinion.

Last edited:
. National Public Radio: The House voted to entirely defund public radio, but Democrats in the Senate are standing firm to protect “A Prairie Home Companion.” If the programming is so wonderful, why can’t it compete in the marketplace

One must wonder whether the same Democrats would be in favour of passing a bill that would give public funding to, say, Fox News.

I most certainly would.

The moment that you convince the stockholders of FOX to become a NOT FOR PROFIT corporation, I'd support public funding for it.

Think you can do that?

I most certainly would.

The moment that you convince the stockholders of FOX to become a NOT FOR PROFIT corporation, I'd support public funding for it.

Think you can do that?

You just proved that you are a sheeple.

Forum List

Back