Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Links at site. ABC isn't exactly a right wing messenger:

http://instapundit.com/archives/025148.php

August 26, 2005

HERE'S AN ABC REPORT ON THE PR MACHINE BEHIND CINDY SHEEHAN:

ABC7 Looks At The Financing Of 'Camp Casey'
By Mark Matthews
With the President back at his Crawford ranch, the anti-war protest right outside his ranch is getting a lot more media attention. ABC7 looks at who is financing the operation and who's providing on-the-ground support.

The camp at Crawford is full of Cindy Sheehan supporters, people from all walks of life. But off to the side are a small group of professionals, skilled in politics and public relations who are marketing her message. . . .
Leading the group is Fenton Communications employee Michele Mulkey, based in San Francisco. Fenton specializes in public relations for liberal non profits.

Their bills are being paid by True Majority, a non-profit set up by Ben Cohen, of Ben and Jerry's ice cream fame.

Ben Cohen: "People are willing to listen to her and we want to do as much as we can to make her voice heard."

Cohen's liberal group has teamed up with Berkeley-based moveon.org, an anti-Bush group co-founded by Joan Blades.

I can't say I'm surprised: the "grassroots" antiwar movement keeps turning out to be MoveOn/A.N.S.W.E.R. astroturf. But I bet that if a GOP group were to send servicemen's families to picket Democrats it would be getting more play. And more negative play.

UPDATE: Reader Don Fishback thinks this is just a smokescreen:

You have to wonder if Karl Rove is the one who is REALLY behind Cindy Sheehan. Look at what he has accomplished and hopes to accomplish with her help:

First, his name is completely off the radar screen. Valerie Plame? Who is she?

Second, liberal interest groups are getting their hopes up once again, as they have after every so-called Bush implosion. Hardcore Democrats feel liberated and are actively supporting Sheehan, who contemporaneously says things like "AFGHANISTAN was a mistake" and "Get Israel out of Palestine." It's as if the hardcore leftists are so emboldened that even Howard Dean isn't enough for them!

But most of all, he's set an awful sweet trap for some bigger catch. I am sure that he was hoping that some potential Democrat presidential candidates showed up in Crawford. Well, at least someone besides Sharpton. Alas, it looks like he's going to have to wait until her entourage gets to Washington.

It's as if Rove has set the Democrats up with a Kobayashi Maru. If a major Dem goes to Cindy's side, they're doomed as a national candidate. No one in Tennessee or Indiana is going to support someone who agrees with the policy that Afghanistan was a mistake. But if they don't, as Kaus points out, they'll never get nominated by the emboldened left-wing base.

Evil Genius indeed.

Hmm. Is Karl Rove that smart? Are Democratic activists that gullible?

ANOTHER UPDATE: Maybe so.
posted at 01:19 PM by Glenn Reynolds

dilloduck said:
Another name to look out for here is Lisa Fithian----heard he name on mentioned Fox tonight as a primary instigator involved in Sheehan taking her "cause" to Crawford.

I googled her name and found a lot of prior lib crap with her name all over it.
http://it.news.yahoo.com/050811/38/3cca6.html

Yep, right you are. First Google hit. Links at site:

http://www.timeswatch.org/articles/2003/1118.asp#3
A Press Release for Left-Wing Disruptors

Left-wing anti-globalization activists in 1999 wrecked the World Trade Organization meeting in Seattle. Now they're gearing up for a repeat in Miami (site of the Free Trade Area of the Americas meeting) and the Times helps by running "Them Against the World, Part 2," a glowing profile of anti-globalization activist Lisa Fithian by sympathetic contributing writer Austin Bunn.

Bunn writes: "When, like Fithian, you have been arrested some 30 times, the police become less of a fearful authority than antagonists in a battle you just can't wait to begin....Her intention is to scout the city--to understand the layout, to meet with every local activist group willing to meet with her and to plan how to 'derail' the negotiations....Fithian will join them, but she doesn't care too much about the march. It doesn't need her. It needs numbers. Direct action--to physically 'shut it down'--is her calling. Blocking the Miami airport, preventing delegates from getting inside the conference center, ripping a hole in the protective fence--these things need her. Anticorporate globalization protests like this one will attract everyone from agitprop puppeteers to Quakers to rowdy anarchists who would love to see a Starbucks on fire. Fithian stands in a willful, but not reckless, middle ground. She is peace-oriented but not passive. Destruction of 'illegitimate' barriers is fine with her as long as it's nonviolent (a line that can be hazy) and not a senseless publicity stunt (also hazy). So you don't go to Fithian when you want to carry a placard. You go to her when you want to make sure there are enough bolt cutters to go around."

Bunn has the nerve to compare this kind of violence-inducing and violence-accepting behavior to the civil rights movement: "The tradition of direct action is civil disobedience staged at the 'point of power': civil rights era sit-ins on segregated Woolworth's stools or Act Up 'die-ins' during speeches by Food and Drug Administration officials."

It's sadly no surprise the Times gives such a positive portrayal of this sort of left-wing disruption. In the past the Times has gone even further, most notoriously in "No Regrets for a Love of Explosives," a fond look at Bill Ayers of the U.S. terrorist group the Weathermen, which appeared in the papers Arts section the morning of Sept. 11, 2001 (though hardly anyone in Manhattan got to the Arts page that day).

For more on Lisa Fithian, anti-globalization activist and left-wing heroine, click here.

dilloduck said:
"left-wing heroine"---oxymoron

This woman is just pure evil.

Oh shit---I just heard where Sheehan is coming HERE TODAY before going to Houston. She plans to rally at city hall at 5:30 downtown which is packed at that time any way but I'm sure the MSM will include them in part of her supporters count. Sorry gang but I ain't doing this one--WAYYYY to many liberal idiots to deal with.

This is going to be like a tropical depression moving through warm water and bound to give her a boost. Delays' home territory is next but I think she will get a much needed cooling off down there.

dilloduck said:
Oh shit---I just heard where Sheehan is coming HERE TODAY before going to Houston. She plans to rally at city hall at 5:30 downtown which is packed at that time any way but I'm sure the MSM will include them in part of her supporters count. Sorry gang but I ain't doing this one--WAYYYY to many liberal idiots to deal with.

This is going to be like a tropical depression moving through warm water and bound to give her a boost. Delays' home territory is next but I think she will get a much needed cooling off down there.
i hope your right, and she loses steam in delay country...tired of hearing about her. she gave up any pretense of being a "grieving" mother when she hooked up with the likes of moveon.org.

dilloduck said:

She has got to be pretty dumb if she is going to think anyone is going to be listening to her political whinings when we have people to save.

She has got to be pretty dumb if she is going to think anyone is going to be listening to her political whinings when we have people to save.

Damn--I'm afraid if we are going to predict her actions by her intellect, she'll wind up in New Orleans..

Forum List

Back