Fully dressed and preserved 350-year-old corpse of French noblewoman found

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
French archaeologists have uncovered the well-preserved body of a noblewoman who died 350 years ago – along with the clothes in which she was buried, including her cap and shoes, still intact.

The corpse of Louise de Quengo, a widow from an aristocratic family from Brittany, was discovered in an hermetically sealed lead coffin placed in a stone tomb at a convent chapel in the western city of Rennes.

Four other lead coffins dating from the 17th century were also found at the site of the Saint-Joseph chapel, as well as 800 other graves containing skeletons.

Researchers expected to find little but dust and bones when they opened the fifth coffin and were astonished to discover the nearly intact body of De Quengo, Lady of Brefeillac, who died in 1656, some time in her 60s. They were able to identify the 1.45 m (5ft) body because of inscriptions on a relic containing the heart of her husband, Toussaint de Perrien, Knight of Brefeillac, who died in 1649.
Fully dressed and preserved 350-year-old corpse of French noblewoman found World news The Guardian

I had no idea that a relic containing the heart of a loved one was a thing.

French archaeologists have uncovered the well-preserved body of a noblewoman who died 350 years ago – along with the clothes in which she was buried, including her cap and shoes, still intact.

The corpse of Louise de Quengo, a widow from an aristocratic family from Brittany, was discovered in an hermetically sealed lead coffin placed in a stone tomb at a convent chapel in the western city of Rennes.

Four other lead coffins dating from the 17th century were also found at the site of the Saint-Joseph chapel, as well as 800 other graves containing skeletons.

Researchers expected to find little but dust and bones when they opened the fifth coffin and were astonished to discover the nearly intact body of De Quengo, Lady of Brefeillac, who died in 1656, some time in her 60s. They were able to identify the 1.45 m (5ft) body because of inscriptions on a relic containing the heart of her husband, Toussaint de Perrien, Knight of Brefeillac, who died in 1649.
Fully dressed and preserved 350-year-old corpse of French noblewoman found World news The Guardian

I had no idea that a relic containing the heart of a loved one was a thing.

the-mummy-1999-the-mummy-movies-4380395-960-536.jpg

"Is she supposed to look that...Juicy?" :)

Why are we so preoccupied with disturbing the dead? :dunno:

It's funny that you say that. A little something nagged at me. I seem to have no problem with open graves but it is rather disturbing to open a coffin that was carefully sealed. Of course, I live in a society that has no problem building on cemeteries, charging over $22,000 to bury someone and crematories that stack bodies.10th anniversary of bodies discovered at Tri-State Crematory in Noble Georgia Local News Times Free Press
Yep, no longer can we say that you can take something away after you pry it from "my cold dead hand". They surely will.

Different cultures have a different view of death, funeral rituals and afterlife: ancestor veneration.

Prior to Christianity. and even during early Christianity, Romans and Italians would go to "cemeteries" and have picnics. The tombs and graves were not a curiosity but very much a part of normal everyday life. That I got from Peter Brown. Inside everyone's home was a space set aside for your ancestors.

Native Americans are a whole different ball game. No pictures and you don't go looking/digging for a specific grave........like Tecumseh.

Back in 1996, Bubba Bill Cinton was criticized by Peruvian anthropologist Sonya Guhllen for making crude remarks during an exhibition of the 500 year old frozen mummy dubbed the "ice princess". Guillen accused president Clinton of having "a lack of respect". I bet a lot of living women had the same opinion.

They won't mind ;)
This museum re-buried the remains of Native Americans. I visited before that time, and took a photo. I later dug a hole in the back yard, burned the photo, and buried the ashes out of respect.

Discover Dickson Mounds Museum
You must be outraged that there will be mining of sacred Apache land.

Arizona s McCain and Flake swap Apache Holy Land to foreign mining company- Contact Congress

They won't mind ;)
This museum re-buried the remains of Native Americans. I visited before that time, and took a photo. I later dug a hole in the back yard, burned the photo, and buried the ashes out of respect.

You must be outraged that there will be mining of sacred Apache land.

Arizona s McCain and Flake swap Apache Holy Land to foreign mining company- Contact Congress
You must be a jag off. :fu:

They won't mind ;)

If that makes you happy it's fine, but the dead people can't appreciate your sentiment, they are gone, there is nothing there :)

Forum List

Back