Fucking rabbits are eating my tomato plants

Try a pepper spray... they have it at home depot.
Or go cheaper and just buy a big bottle of Cayanne pepper powder, sprinkle it on the ground heavy. But not right next to the plants. Do it after every rain. It'll be cheaper.

You could have looked this up yourself dude.

Install commercial wire tomato cages around each tomato plant as soon as you plant it. If you're growing bush tomatoes, you can use the shorter cages. For taller tomato vines, choose cages that are at least 5 feet high.

Wrap the bottom half of your tomato cages in chicken wire. This will help keep foraging animals, such as geese, rabbits and chickens, from pecking through the narrow cage wires.

Read more: How to Keep Animals Away From My Tomato Plants | eHow.com How to Keep Animals Away From My Tomato Plants | eHow.com

I fenced part of it in last year to keep them out after a friend gave me some orange construction fence he stole from work. They hop it sometimes too.. I chased one out of there about a week ago.

The tomatoes are in another plot though and I don't waste money on shit like cages and a bunch of other crap you don't need. I might end up spending $20 total on putting the entire garden in, probably less and I'll get hundreds of dollars worth of food out of it. After I get some shelves put in here like I had at my old place to hold a couple 4ft fluorescent lights and growing my own starts I won't be hardly spending anything on it..

I just threw a bunch of diluted piss water on the garden, that should keep them away plus it fertilizes at the same time. Problem solved hopefully, I'll let you know tomorrow if they ate anymore of my tomatoes.

I left a couple big patches of lettuce and spinach for them to munch on and they're ignoring that and eating my fucking tomato plants... All that was left of a couple were the stem.

Anyone got any ideas on how to deal with these rabbits... poisoned hamburger, land mines, what's a good way to get rid of these bastards. I noticed there were baby rabbits around when I mowed for the first time this year and now I regret not chopping their bastard offspring up with the mower.

Yes. Lay a fence by inserting 4' deep concrete slabs held together in h-beams with insets for attaching 7' high stainless steel rods with hardware cloth from slab to top. What the rabbits won't get, the deer won't get, either. If you want full garden protection, mesh the top to keep the birds out over beams suspended from the 7' high poles by steel beams.

When you have to set up an armed camp, it appears to me that it would simpler, and more cost-effective, to buy these items at the store.

One thing we do here...the bunnies and the deer don't like strong-smelling herbs. And, fresh herbs are always pleasant for cooking. If they're eating the other stuff, plant stuff they don't eat. Sage, oregano, thyme, basil, chives, etc...most rabbits won't eat that stuff.
Which reminds me, the clever British don't plant lavender all the way around their gardens for nothing, although they are pretty at certain times of the year.

I just threw a bunch of diluted piss water on the garden, that should keep them away plus it fertilizes at the same time. Problem solved hopefully, I'll let you know tomorrow if they ate anymore of my tomatoes.

I've heard that works...dog and cat piss, as well. I've also occasionally poured a line of used cat litter (poop removed) around the line of my garden. You do have to keep refreshing it on a regular basis, though, particularly if you get a lot of hard rain.

Dried blood along with the fence everybody is suggesting should help the situation.

Dried Blood Repellent for Deer and Rabbits | ThriftyFun

Dried Blood Repellent for Deer and Rabbits

Dried blood should be available at your local garden store. It is a biproduct of cattle beef processing. It comes in a powdered form and is effective for discouraging deer and rabbits from eating your plants.
Ingredients:
• 1 tablespoon dried blood
• 2 gallons warm water

Direcctions:

In a large bucket, combine dried blood and water until dried blood is disolved. Apply using a spray bottle or garden sprayer.

Caution: Use this solution sparingly. The nitrogen in the dried blood may burn your plants if it gets too concentrated. You can also try sprinkling a little dried blood mixed with bonemeal around threatened plants.

Sources: Rodale's Book of Practical Forumulas

Dried blood along with the fence everybody is suggesting should help the situation.

Dried Blood Repellent for Deer and Rabbits | ThriftyFun

Dried Blood Repellent for Deer and Rabbits

Dried blood should be available at your local garden store. It is a biproduct of cattle beef processing. It comes in a powdered form and is effective for discouraging deer and rabbits from eating your plants.
Ingredients:
• 1 tablespoon dried blood
• 2 gallons warm water

Direcctions:

In a large bucket, combine dried blood and water until dried blood is disolved. Apply using a spray bottle or garden sprayer.

Caution: Use this solution sparingly. The nitrogen in the dried blood may burn your plants if it gets too concentrated. You can also try sprinkling a little dried blood mixed with bonemeal around threatened plants.

Sources: Rodale's Book of Practical Forumulas

Yeah, I use blood meal.

They're leaving the bigger tomato plants alone (for now) it looks like, they've chomped a few though, mostly around when I first posted this. I've been throwing copious amounts of piss water around the garden and putting cardboard barriers around some of the tomato cages.

Thanks for the tips!

I've thought of the ultimate solution, I need to cage those bunnies up and let them create rabbit poop to fertilize the garden with.

That would be good restitution for sure, but I think an overnight soak in sprite, and a swim in the frying pan sounds better.

I've thought of the ultimate solution, I need to cage those bunnies up and let them create rabbit poop to fertilize the garden with.

That would be good restitution for sure, but I think an overnight soak in sprite, and a swim in the frying pan sounds better.

Please...:eusa_hand: Crockpot I tell ya!

Hasenpfeffer
Hasenpfeffer (Rabbit Stew) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Grandma used to make this when I was little. Not the same recipe but twas a fine meal indeed!

You could have looked this up yourself dude.

Install commercial wire tomato cages around each tomato plant as soon as you plant it. If you're growing bush tomatoes, you can use the shorter cages. For taller tomato vines, choose cages that are at least 5 feet high.

Wrap the bottom half of your tomato cages in chicken wire. This will help keep foraging animals, such as geese, rabbits and chickens, from pecking through the narrow cage wires.

Read more: How to Keep Animals Away From My Tomato Plants | eHow.com How to Keep Animals Away From My Tomato Plants | eHow.com

This has worked for us too.

Cats don't work, blood meal doesn't work, so-called bird mesh doesn't work. Really, not much works. Problem is, if we feed them, they will come. You just have to be smarter than they are.

I remember my dad saying, '...a row for them and a row for us, a row for them and a row for us ...' but, "they" will always take more than their fair share.

yea, rabbits are tasty.

however, the fucking birds keep eating my motherfucking strawberries!

BTW, in all states, it is illegal to shoot most wildlife without a license. And, under the Migratory Bird Treat Act of 1918 makes it illegal to shoot migratory birds.

And, almost all birds are "migratory".

You might want to read the act.

Forum List

Back