Fucking rabbits are eating my tomato plants

I left a couple big patches of lettuce and spinach for them to munch on and they're ignoring that and eating my fucking tomato plants... All that was left of a couple were the stem.

Anyone got any ideas on how to deal with these rabbits... poisoned hamburger, land mines, what's a good way to get rid of these bastards. I noticed there were baby rabbits around when I mowed for the first time this year and now I regret not chopping their bastard offspring up with the mower.

Tight mesh fencing. You have bury about 3-4 inches of it or they will burrow underneath to get in. On a related note, these critters enjoy the sprouts. Next time, keep them housed until they are around 6 inches tall or more. The fence, is by far the easiest path to keep them out of your garden.

I left a couple big patches of lettuce and spinach for them to munch on and they're ignoring that and eating my fucking tomato plants... All that was left of a couple were the stem.

Anyone got any ideas on how to deal with these rabbits... poisoned hamburger, land mines, what's a good way to get rid of these bastards. I noticed there were baby rabbits around when I mowed for the first time this year and now I regret not chopping their bastard offspring up with the mower.

Poison is a bad idea as it kills indiscriminately when left in the open. I would recommend a simple .22lr rifle and a good recipe for hasenpfeffer. If you're on your own land, you may not have to wait for hunting season to be legal, depends on the state. In the mean time, have you tried fencing?

One strand of electric fence about 8 inches off the ground.
But you will need to abandon your garden for a while if a skunk gets into it.

You could have looked this up yourself dude.

Install commercial wire tomato cages around each tomato plant as soon as you plant it. If you're growing bush tomatoes, you can use the shorter cages. For taller tomato vines, choose cages that are at least 5 feet high.

Wrap the bottom half of your tomato cages in chicken wire. This will help keep foraging animals, such as geese, rabbits and chickens, from pecking through the narrow cage wires.

Read more: How to Keep Animals Away From My Tomato Plants | eHow.com How to Keep Animals Away From My Tomato Plants | eHow.com

Eating and fucking? sound like redneck rabbits. they wouldn't be drinking Miller Lite as well?

Dig a fucking 16 inch deep by 12 inch wide footer.
Build a chicken shit frame out of.....whatever..... and cover it with some kind of screen.
If the wabbitz don't fuck your unprotected stuff up the birds will.
Better yet. Buy a real Bulldog.
Laura kennels dawt kawm.

Adopt some patrol cats. Mine are trained killers and have been decimating the local bunny population for years. They also go after snakes, moles, mice, lizards, toads, frogs, etc. Unfortunately, we haven't figured out a way to keep them from dragging the lizards and snakes into the house. So, it's not a perfect plan.

Last edited:
I have only seen a couple of rabbits since moving here. But I have seen foxes, and foxes eat rabbits. ;)

Yes. Lay a fence by inserting 4' deep concrete slabs held together in h-beams with insets for attaching 7' high stainless steel rods with hardware cloth from slab to top. What the rabbits won't get, the deer won't get, either. If you want full garden protection, mesh the top to keep the birds out over beams suspended from the 7' high poles by steel beams.

Yes. Lay a fence by inserting 4' deep concrete slabs held together in h-beams with insets for attaching 7' high stainless steel rods with hardware cloth from slab to top. What the rabbits won't get, the deer won't get, either. If you want full garden protection, mesh the top to keep the birds out over beams suspended from the 7' high poles by steel beams.

When you have to set up an armed camp, it appears to me that it would simpler, and more cost-effective, to buy these items at the store.

One thing we do here...the bunnies and the deer don't like strong-smelling herbs. And, fresh herbs are always pleasant for cooking. If they're eating the other stuff, plant stuff they don't eat. Sage, oregano, thyme, basil, chives, etc...most rabbits won't eat that stuff.

I've heard planting rings of marigolds around them will help keep em away. Supposedly they don't like em. Tightly packed though.

Forum List

Back