FU--Virginia

Sorry, simply submitting signatures is not the requirement. Submitting qualified signatures is the requirement.

Under Virginia Code § 24.2-101, a "Qualified Voter" is defined as and has been for years:

1. Someone 18 years old by the date of the vote,

2. A resident of the Commonwealth and of the precinct in which they will vote, and

3. Registered to vote.​

LIS > Code of Virginia > 24.2-101

Virginia didn't keep anyone off the ballot, the candidates did by not following the law.

>>>>

And don't they usually have to be members of the party for which they are nominating a candidate...unless they are an Open Primary state?

Short Answer: No you don't have to be a registered Republican to sign a ballot petition for a member of the Republican Party.

Long Answer: Virginia is not an open primary state, however there is a factor of time-line that comes into play under Virginia Law (§ 24.2-545. Presidential primary, § 24.2-544 Time presidential primaries to be held and completion of duties by officers of election; age qualifications for participation, and § 24.2-416. Closing registration records before elections. ).

§ 24.2-545 requires that a person be a "qualified voter" as described in other state law as already listed. This section also says signers: "who attest that they intend to participate in the primary of the same political party as the candidate for whom the petitions are filed". What it does not say is that a person must be registered with that party when they sign the ballot petition, it only defines an intent at the time of signing to participate in that parties primary ballot. Depending on the campaign, people can still change their mind after signing the petition.

I say that time-line is important for this law because of different dates involved. This year the cutoff date for submission was December 22nd. However registration, and change of party affiliation, does not close until until 28-days prior to the primary election. Super Tuesday is March 6th, which means registration will not close until ~ February 8th.

LIS > Code of Virginia > 24.2-545
LIS > Code of Virginia > 24.2-544
LIS > Code of Virginia > 24.2-416

>>>>

Interesting...thank you. California just made itself an Open Primary state and we are heading into our first Open Primary, which doesn't affect Presidential Primaries. The voters are going to be so confused...

In a huge blow to the Gingrich, Perry, Bachmann, Santorum and Huntsman campaigns, all of them have failed to meet the required 10,000 registered voter signature petition requirement to appear on the Virginia primary ballot taking place March 6, 2011. Mitt Romney and Ron Paul have qualified for the primary. Republican presidential candidates Michele Bachmann, Jon Huntsman and Rick Santorum failed to qualify for the Virginia ballot, according to state GOP officials.
Five GOP candidates fail to qualify for Virginia primary ballot « 2012 Election Central

Four candidates — former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, former House speaker Newt Gingrich, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Rep. Ron Paul (Texas) — turned in thousands of signatures by the deadline.

Bachmann, Huntsman, Santorum not on Va. primary ballot | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Your state is CRAP--when you can eliminate 6 out of 8 GOP candidates--my final word--is FU--& it's no wonder you live next door to Washington D.C.

imagesqtbnANd9GcRZ6d_Ijm18O_zZ6vApchHlqZoPFAJ61o7MsKl-7iqu2G0IevoRTWaZ0r5VtA.jpg

:D

And don't they usually have to be members of the party for which they are nominating a candidate...unless they are an Open Primary state?

Short Answer: No you don't have to be a registered Republican to sign a ballot petition for a member of the Republican Party.

Long Answer: Virginia is not an open primary state, however there is a factor of time-line that comes into play under Virginia Law (§ 24.2-545. Presidential primary, § 24.2-544 Time presidential primaries to be held and completion of duties by officers of election; age qualifications for participation, and § 24.2-416. Closing registration records before elections. ).

§ 24.2-545 requires that a person be a "qualified voter" as described in other state law as already listed. This section also says signers: "who attest that they intend to participate in the primary of the same political party as the candidate for whom the petitions are filed". What it does not say is that a person must be registered with that party when they sign the ballot petition, it only defines an intent at the time of signing to participate in that parties primary ballot. Depending on the campaign, people can still change their mind after signing the petition.

I say that time-line is important for this law because of different dates involved. This year the cutoff date for submission was December 22nd. However registration, and change of party affiliation, does not close until until 28-days prior to the primary election. Super Tuesday is March 6th, which means registration will not close until ~ February 8th.

LIS > Code of Virginia > 24.2-545
LIS > Code of Virginia > 24.2-544
LIS > Code of Virginia > 24.2-416

>>>>

Interesting...thank you. California just made itself an Open Primary state and we are heading into our first Open Primary, which doesn't affect Presidential Primaries. The voters are going to be so confused...

You are welcome, personally I disagree with "open primaries". MHO is that individuals should have to register a minimum of 30-days prior to a primary and primaries should be closed to non-party registered individuals. Open primaries, again IMHO, open the gates to political sabotage. For example you have a candidate from one party running with no same party opposition, that means unscrupulous individuals can perform political sabotage by voting in the other parties primary and vote against a candidate that would be a major opponent and assist in selecting the other parties weakest candidate.

>>>>

Talk about a FREAKING rigged primary state. Again FU VIRGINIA you SUCK.

Don't you mean that the Virginia Republican Party sucks...since they are the ones that determine how their primary is run.

Primary ballot signature requriements are not determined by the Republican Party, they are a function of Virginia State Law.

>>>>

Correct. I just read about that today. My bad.

Apparently, this law has been in place since 1970 under a Democratic State Congress.

So, oreo must think that this is some sort of conspiracy to keep Newt and Perry off the ballot that was concocted 41 years ago.

Don't you mean that the Virginia Republican Party sucks...since they are the ones that determine how their primary is run.

Primary ballot signature requriements are not determined by the Republican Party, they are a function of Virginia State Law.

>>>>

Correct. I just read about that today. My bad.

Apparently, this law has been in place since 1970 under a Democratic State Congress.

So, oreo must think that this is some sort of conspiracy to keep Newt and Perry off the ballot that was concocted 41 years ago.

Would you have a link to the 1970 date? I think it might be handy to have a something that shows the historical context of the law. You know - since some people think this was rigged for this year to keep Newt off the ballot.

>>>>

I think it's more an issue of the GOP trying to rig the game to get a pre-determined result.

no one is rigging anything.

rigging the game would be if they allowed newtie to slide with regard to rules everyone else complied with.

11 people sought to get on the ballot, only two did...

I'm actually kind of shocked they let Dr. Paul on the ballot. I guess they had to kind of pretend this was going to be a competitive race.

Again, I find it amusing that the very people who want to let stew-bums registered for cigarettes by ACORN vote are the ones who are now defending the sanctity of a registration process.

It's the difference between organization and...well, Newt Gingrich...who doesn't even have fucking phones in his office yet. He wasn't seriously running and the fact that he had a brief stint at the top took him by surprise (not to mention all the people whose memories haven't been destroyed by drugs or alcohol).

Paul-Heads are VERY dedicated and have been doing this a very long time.

The only other candidate, besides Newt, Paul and Romney, that submitted signatures was the Little Dummer boy, Perry. Since Perry has already run such a stellar campaign to date, you really want to put the blame for his foibles on the VA GOP? Really?

You are welcome, personally I disagree with "open primaries". MHO is that individuals should have to register a minimum of 30-days prior to a primary and primaries should be closed to non-party registered individuals. Open primaries, again IMHO, open the gates to political sabotage. For example you have a candidate from one party running with no same party opposition, that means unscrupulous individuals can perform political sabotage by voting in the other parties primary and vote against a candidate that would be a major opponent and assist in selecting the other parties weakest candidate.

>>>>

I've been saying that Californians are going to regret the passage of Prop 14. This is going to be the first test of the new system with a combined Presidential/State Primary.

I think the first time that the top two candidates in a General belong to the same party (which is a possibility in California), people are going to pitch a fit and fall into it.

Our modified Open Primary system was bad enough...this is going to be a nightmare.

What ever happened to the party of responsibility?

You know the rules years in advance and then when you can't meet a measly 10,000 signatures you blame Virginia

50 people getting 200 signatures is not that hard in a state the size of Virginia. What? Are you looking for a free ride?

You know the rules years in advance and then when you can't meet a measly 10,000 signatures you blame Virginia

50 people getting 200 signatures is not that hard in a state the size of Virginia. What? Are you looking for a free ride?
Make it 50 x 300.

Buffer for invalids.

Like the smart candidates do.

Premise: Newt started surging in the Polls around the beginning of December. A recent poll had him leading over Romney in the Virginia.

Premise: IIRC, there are something like 40+ shopping malls spread around Virginia.

Premise: December is the busiest shopping month of the year.

Requirement: 10,000 signatures (with 400 each from 11 Congressional Districts).

Why weren't volunteers stationed at each mall entrance? Hell you'd have had the required number of signatures (plus some) with the minimum district spread in one weekend.

Then to blame the State of Virginia for the failure of his own campaign. :naughty:

>>>>

It's the difference between organization and...well, Newt Gingrich...who doesn't even have fucking phones in his office yet. He wasn't seriously running and the fact that he had a brief stint at the top took him by surprise (not to mention all the people whose memories haven't been destroyed by drugs or alcohol).

The only other candidate, besides Newt, Paul and Romney, that submitted signatures was the Little Dummer boy, Perry. Since Perry has already run such a stellar campaign to date, you really want to put the blame for his foibles on the VA GOP? Really?

I would put that on them, yeah. Seriously, I have to wonder why they are putting up so many hurdles, to be honest.

You know, I think it's kind of funny that the people defending the GOP loudest here are Democrats.

I mean, it's almost like you want Romney to be the nominee, even though you claim he is the only 'serious' contender who stands a chance against Hussien.

Premise: Newt started surging in the Polls around the beginning of December. A recent poll had him leading over Romney in the Virginia.

Premise: IIRC, there are something like 40+ shopping malls spread around Virginia.

Why weren't volunteers stationed at each mall entrance? Hell you'd have had the required number of signatures (plus some) with the minimum district spread in one weekend.

Then to blame the State of Virginia for the failure of his own campaign. :naughty:

>>>>

Or they thought- "We got 20% more than the law requires, that should be enough."

I think they didn't anticipate the desperation the national GOP has to get Romney nominated over the wishes of 75% of the Republican electorate.

>>>>

Or they thought- "We got 20% more than the law requires, that should be enough."

I think they didn't anticipate the desperation the national GOP has to get Romney nominated over the wishes of 75% of the Republican electorate.

Actually they submitted less valid signatures then were required. If he had submitted 20% more qualified signatures than required he would be on the ballot.

Virginia law requires the submission of 10,000 (with 400 from each district) signatures of qualified voters. He could have submitted 1,000,000 signatures - but if he didn't have the 400 required from each district, they would be immaterial.

Why do people keep ignoring the 400 from each district requirement? If a major portion of signatures were gathered at the last minute from DC area rallies, then it's logical to assume they would have have had difficulty meeting the other part of the requirement.

BTW - 11,050 signatures is 10.5% over the 10,000 signature number (irregardless of how many of them were qualified signatures.).

>>>>

Last edited:
Look, you are not running for school board, you want to be President of the United States.

You are not even organized enough to get 10,000 valid signatures?

Typical Republicans.....blame the system for your own laziness and incompetence

I would put that on them, yeah. Seriously, I have to wonder why they are putting up so many hurdles, to be honest.

You know, I think it's kind of funny that the people defending the GOP loudest here are Democrats.

I mean, it's almost like you want Romney to be the nominee, even though you claim he is the only 'serious' contender who stands a chance against Hussien.
Or some people really care about following election rules, no matter the candidate.

I'm sure that never occurred to you.

It's not about offense or defense, it's about not being able to see the facts beyond your hate of Romney.

I'm speaking to you as a far left liberal loon that wants President Obama to have a 2nd term in office. Romeney is the only candidate in your field that even concerns me a little bit and that isn't very much.

Gingrich is dropping in the polls because people are waking up and saying "oh yeah, that guy". Perry is dead because he is a dope. None of the other candidates even submitted any signatures.

Democrats aren't "defending Romeney" by pointing out that your conspiracy theory doesn't hold water...they are just being Democrats.

Actually they submitted less valid signatures then were required. If he had submitted 20% more qualified signatures than required he would be on the ballot.

Virginia law requires the submission of 10,000 (with 400 from each district) signatures of qualified voters. He could have submitted 1,000,000 signatures - but if he didn't have the 400 required from each district, they would be immaterial.

Why do people keep ignoring the 400 from each district requirement? If a major portion of signatures were gathered at the last minute from DC area rallies, then it's logical to assume they would have have had difficulty meeting the other part of the requirement.

>>>>

Probably because its a ridiculous requirement. Trying to rustle up 400 Republicans in a DC exburb district where they are just waiting for their welfare check is a difficult requirement.

Forum List

Back