FTR: The weed is a gateway drug argument is BS.

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Anyone that argues against legalization on the grounds that weed is a gateway drug is totally full of shit.

Here's the crux of their bullshit: 99+% of all heroin (or other hard drug) addicts started by smoking weed, therefore it's a gateway drug.

Well no fucking shit Sherlock! This is the posterchild example of how statistics can be misused.

The honest assessment of "gateway" status looks at the statistics the other way around. What percentage of people that have smoked weed go on to become heroin addicts? The answer...less than .1%. Conclusion: Sorry, not a gateway drug.

Anyone that argues against legalization on the grounds that weed is a gateway drug is totally full of shit.

Here's the crux of their bullshit: 99+% of all heroin (or other hard drug) addicts started by smoking weed, therefore it's a gateway drug.

Well no fucking shit Sherlock! This is the posterchild example of how statistics can be misused.

The honest assessment of "gateway" status looks at the statistics the other way around. What percentage of people that have smoked weed go on to become heroin addicts? The answer...less than .1%. Conclusion: Sorry, not a gateway drug.

agreed! (that's two in one day... uh oh.) :redface: ;)

"Well no fucking shit Sherlock! This is the posterchild example of how statistics can be misused."

yes, yes, yes, this sort of thing happens ALL the time...drives me nuts!

• Banned
agreed! (that's two in one day... uh oh.) :redface: ;)

"Well no fucking shit Sherlock! This is the posterchild example of how statistics can be misused."

yes, yes, yes, this sort of thing happens ALL the time...drives me nuts!

:eusa_think:

So can I conclude that you've been told to spread around the rep??? :eusa_whistle:

I'm always happy to accept stray rep. It's not a gateway drug for me.

no go for you either... you can have a hug any time tho. ;)

i'll have to do some more reading and find someone to give rep to and then i'll get back to you! i don't like giving neg rep, i only give pos rep.

i only gave mani neg rep cuz he double dog dared me... LOL!

no go for you either... you can have a hug any time tho. ;)

i'll have to do some more reading and find someone to give rep to and then i'll get back to you! i don't like giving neg rep, i only give pos rep.

i only gave mani neg rep cuz he double dog dared me... LOL!

My advice, troll through the back pages and rep people that don't post here anymore.

:rofl:

joking

The reason why weed is considered a gateway drug is because weed users are more likely to become acquainted with people who use and sell other illegal drugs in order to acquire weed. Weed was ranked "17th of 20 for mean physical harm score and 11 for mean dependence score." So weed is not as harmful as other drugs but it’s hypothesized that after using weed, users will look for additional ways to get high hence opening the door to other possible drugs.

I do not think it should be illegal, but the only reason it is, is because the government has not found a way to monopolize it.

Weed was ranked "17th of 20 for mean physical harm score and 11 for mean dependence score."

cite your source because im calling shennanigans.

Also, if you lump chocolate milk in the same catagory as heroin does that mean that yoohoo leads to needles?

Weed was ranked "17th of 20 for mean physical harm score and 11 for mean dependence score."

cite your source because im calling shennanigans.

Also, if you lump chocolate milk in the same catagory as heroin does that mean that yoohoo leads to needles?

Wikipedia "A study[70] published in The Lancet on 24 March 2007 was twenty drugs were assigned a risk from zero to three. Dr. David Nutt et al. asked medical, scientific and legal experts to rate 20 different drugs on nine parameters:

Physical harm (Acute, Chronic, and Intravenous harm)
Dependence (Intensity of pleasure, Psychological dependence, Physical dependence)
Social harms (Intoxication, Other social harms, Health-care costs)
Cannabis was ranked seventeenth of twenty for mean physical harm score and eleventh for mean dependence score. Not shown is the mean social harm score, which rated ninth, in a tie with Amphetamine."

The argument that it is not a gateway drug is just as much BS. It is for some people and not others. Whether or not it leads specifically to heroin use alone is as fallacious as any other argument on the topic. Heroin might arguably be the most addicting drug out there, but it certainly is nowhere near the only other drug out there.

A simple common sense fact, IMO, is this: someone who is willing to experiment with smoking weed to begn with is going to be someone who would be more apt to experiment with something stronger/different simply for no other reason than the individual's willingness to experiment. As compared to someone who is unwilling to so much as take a hit for fear of damaging their brain and turning into a raving maniac. Can you say "not invited" or "designated driver"?:badgrin:

You can no more validate your claim than anyone else can. Where do the statistics come from? How many people actually admit to have smoked weed? How many of those are going to admit to trying something harder if they did? People are still tested for drug use and prior drug use is an automatic disqualifer alone at some levels of employment, so IMO, you are never going to get any REAL numbers on the subject.

One person was on here claiming that weed is actually better than alcohol because it doesn't impair your driving ability/motor skills like alcohol. I'd only pay for that weak shit once. That paranoid twit in the left-hand lane doing 20 with a death grip on the wheel isn't causing any problem at all.:rolleyes:

And we've ALL seen "that guy" at the party sitting immobile on the sofa that can't even speak. Going to let HIM drive? I think not.

Just for your edification manifold ... I have absolutely no problem with the legalization of marijuana. I just thought I'd try out being a contrarian asshole like you.:cool:

Wikipedia "A study[70] published in The Lancet on 24 March 2007 was twenty drugs were assigned a risk from zero to three. Dr. David Nutt et al. asked medical, scientific and legal experts to rate 20 different drugs on nine parameters:

Physical harm (Acute, Chronic, and Intravenous harm)
Dependence (Intensity of pleasure, Psychological dependence, Physical dependence)
Social harms (Intoxication, Other social harms, Health-care costs)
Cannabis was ranked seventeenth of twenty for mean physical harm score and eleventh for mean dependence score. Not shown is the mean social harm score, which rated ninth, in a tie with Amphetamine."

oh well THATS scientific...

:rolleyes:

The truth is, any drug that is taken for anything other than medicinal purposes is a gateway drug. Whether it's sneaking vodka to school or huffing paint or glue, or smoking weed, the very fact that a kid or person is taking the risk in the first place or is pursuing a high shows they have a propensity to taking risks and seeking a high. THEY'RE ALL GATEWAY DRUGS. So of course a kid who smokes dope at a young age is more likely to become addicted to meth, or an alcoholic, or heroin fiend, than a person who never does it...making whatever substance they're abusing or using illegally a GATEWAY DRUG. Glue, paint, alcohol, weed....it doesn't matter.

It's not rocket science.

PS, I got to say, your paranoid doing twenty and "that guy" on the couch had me :rofl:

It's an easy breakdown. That guy on the couch is ALWAYS there. The guy that never has any weed but knows where to get some he can help you smoke is always there. Then there's Mr Deep-Meaningful Philosphical giving a dissertation on the cosmos. There's always the guy bitching about how the joint is rolled no matter who rolled it. Usually a couple or two making out in the corners. The wannabe-drummer's jammin to Boston with a couple of pencils. Someone's trying to bum Visine cuz they have to go home.

Oh, I almost left our the expert on how to smoke from bong who is determined to teach each and every person how to do it correctly.

Miss anyone?

Forum List

Back