FTC: What are Firefox Addons?

One Size Doesn’t Fit All

Everybody uses the Web differently, so why should your browser be exactly like the next person’s? Firefox has more than 6,000 add-ons to help you customize it to your exact needs, plus thousands of Personas to instantly change the way it looks.

View all personalization features.
Learn more about Firefox personalization.

Firefox Browser | Upgrade to the latest version of Firefox | Free Download

• Banned
I use I.E., for Research mostly, Fire Fox for Stealth, and Google Chrome for here.

Many websites plant tracking cookies in your browser. These tracking cookies follow and report all your searches, etc. For example, have you noticed that after you do a google search for something, suddenly the ads you see on USMB are for products related to your search.
Not if you set Firefox up correctly

Even IE is beginning to explore 'privacy mode'
I use Safari.
I have a program called MacScan that I use to remove the tracking cookies and spyware. It reports all the sites that planted tracking cookies when you visited, like "townhall.com."

Many websites plant tracking cookies in your browser. These tracking cookies follow and report all your searches, etc. For example, have you noticed that after you do a google search for something, suddenly the ads you see on USMB are for products related to your search.

And I have a cookie manager that spits all of them right back out. I do not need the government to hold my hand, or to wipe my ass. If you do, tough.

What adds?
At the top of each page there are 2 banner "ads by google."

Not on my page, nor are there any adds along the right column, or the bottom of the page.

I use Safari.
I have a program called MacScan that I use to remove the tracking cookies and spyware. It reports all the sites that planted tracking cookies when you visited, like "townhall.com."

Safari, like Firefox, can be customized.

Safari Add-ons

And I have a cookie manager that spits all of them right back out. I do not need the government to hold my hand, or to wipe my ass. If you do, tough.
This may come as news to you, but everyone who uses a computer is not a geek, especially the elderly.

I use Safari.

Safari Add-ons
None of those add-ons block tracking cookies. That's why I use MacScan which regularly updates its cookie blacklist and spyware definitions.

I use Safari.

Safari Add-ons
None of those add-ons block tracking cookies. That's why I use MacScan which regularly updates its cookie blacklist and spyware definitions.

This does.

Safari Cookies :: Safari Add-ons

You have a whitelist that only allows cookies from the sites you OK.

If you want to block Google from tracking you across the net they are kind enough to tell you how.

Opting out permanently: Browser Instructions - Advertising Cookie Opt-out Plugin

Safari Add-ons

This does.

If you want to block Google from tracking you across the net they are kind enough to tell you how.

Opting out permanently: Browser Instructions - Advertising Cookie Opt-out Plugin
Thanks, I'm trying "Safari cookies" now and I'll check it with MacScan to see if any tracking cookies get past it.

As far as the Google tracking opt-out, I have my security set as they recommend and yet google still tries to track me.

Instructions for Safari
While we don't yet have a Safari version of the Google advertising cookie opt-out plugin, Safari is set by default to block all third-party cookies. If you have not changed those settings, this option effectively accomplishes the same thing as setting the opt-out cookie. To confirm that Safari is set up to block third-party cookies, do the following:
From Safari, select "Safari" in the menu bar, and then select "Preferences"
In the Preferences Dialog Box, select the "Security" tab
Make sure the "Accept cookies:" setting is set to "Only from sites you navigate to". You can also set this option to "Never", but this will prevent many web sites that rely on cookies from working.

This does.

Thanks, I'm trying "Safari cookies" now and I'll check it with MacScan to see if any tracking cookies get past it.

As far as the Google tracking opt-out, I have my security set as they recommend and yet google still tries to track me.

Instructions for Safari
While we don't yet have a Safari version of the Google advertising cookie opt-out plugin, Safari is set by default to block all third-party cookies. If you have not changed those settings, this option effectively accomplishes the same thing as setting the opt-out cookie. To confirm that Safari is set up to block third-party cookies, do the following:
From Safari, select "Safari" in the menu bar, and then select "Preferences"
In the Preferences Dialog Box, select the "Security" tab
Make sure the "Accept cookies:" setting is set to "Only from sites you navigate to". You can also set this option to "Never", but this will prevent many web sites that rely on cookies from working.

Attempting and succeeding are two different things.

Forum List

Back