FTC Suspects Chuck E. Cheese of Marketing to Children

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The eagle-eyed regulators at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) have a sneaking suspicion that a company offering disgusting pizza, animatronic human-sized mice, and a ball pit may be trying to appeal to children. Or rather, their marketing (the slogan was "Chuck E. Cheese: Where a Kid Can Be a Kid!" last time I checked) may inappropriately appeal to children.

But Chuck E. Cheese is one of 44 marketers who received an "order to file special report" three years ago. The chain, or rather its parents company CEC Entertainment, has now been subpoenaed so that the commission can check up on how that whole voluntary industry self-regulation thing is going. The FTC is just trying to be "supportive" of those self-regulation efforts, you see. Other companies caught in the net include Yum Brands, Wendy's, Sunkist, Red Bull, and Chiquita.

From layman's prespective it's not entirely clear how much self-regulation would satisfy the FTC in the case of the animatronic mouse, since the whole model of Chuck E. Cheese seems to be built on getting kids to whine and complain until their parents take them there—along with 10 of their closest friends—for an afternoon of plastic and cheese fueled mania.

FTC Suspects Chuck E. Cheese of Marketing to Children - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Out of control bureaucrats trying to justify their own jobs. Yes Virginia - Chuck E. Cheese Markets to Children. Tough mouse shit.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh its been 20 years since i have been in one...here hoping for another 20....

how could you market that mess to adults?

and what about toys r us? i hear they are mostly for little ones....

Kids are having a good time.

And they do have salads.

But the pizza requires internal organs of stainless steel.

And the ball pit, where my kids liked to hang out, was on the opposite side from the animontronic mice.

you do a favor for the kid, when they grow up the kids might indulge you.

We had a party or two for the kids when they were little. I hated the noise, but my kids loved it.

Hey - why was this moved to "Humor" It may seem like a complete joke, but it is not. Hell - half of govt antics could be considered comedy. But most of us aint laughing.

We had a party or two for the kids when they were little. I hated the noise, but my kids loved it.

Hey - why was this moved to "Humor" It may seem like a complete joke, but it is not. Hell - half of govt antics could be considered comedy. But most of us aint laughing.

I'm wondering that myself. We need a sub-forum: Bureaucrats Gone Wild.
Wait, we already have one, Politics. Silly me.

Forum List

Back