From What I'm Observing Seems Like RWers Equate Conservative w/RW Christianity

As I'm reading the various posts and threads on here, and recollecting what I've read elsewhere (hint: I Lost My Sanity) and what I'm seeing the RW say in the "lame stream media."

Many "conservatives" seem to equate conservative with right wing fundamentalist christianity.

So much so that there is an internal war that has begun where the RW Christian Fundamentalist are either leaving on their own or being asked to leave if they can't tone down or out their RW fundamentalist Christianity w/their one-issue social-issue voting.

With that said, those who are equating the two, are simply flat-out wrong.

Actually, what do you consider "conservative" to mean anyway. What does conservative mean to you USMB?

Let me share Marc. As a person who still considers himself a "conservative" but NOT a right winger.

What I THINK a conservative (me) is:

- Thinks government is solely for military, police, fire, roads, schools, sewer. Thats about it.
- Is ok with a modest social safety net if we have the ability, which we do
- Believes weed should be legal. Cops and minor criminals DIE over it. Not worth it.
- Believes gay marriage should be legal. Because it's none of my damn business really, let 'em be.
- Believes in a flat tax. Fair is fair. But also believes EVERY citizen should recieve a one time, 2- year tax exemption, for hard times, for ages 30+ only. So 1 time in your life, you can pay 0 taxes for a 24 month span.
- Believes fighting a war should be reserved for countries that directly attack us. The rest of defense should be spent securing our homeland.
- Believes poverty stricken black communities are still not out of the post slavery nightmare that has lasted 150 years. AND, its not the fault of any living white person, but those conditions have just never changed much. Not that we should drop billions of free cash in there. But...to recognize that problem exists, and maybe suggest some ideas.
- That we should CONSERVE the environment, within reason, not just for economic reasons, but because I simply love animals and believe we share this Earth with billions of other different creatures of God, and it's their world too.

What I think far right wingers think conservative means:

- That the govt should always fund the military to no limit.
- That cops, firemen and teachers are sub-standard members of society, who work directly for them, literally.
- That if you fall on hard times, its not only your fault and only your fault, but it's because you are lazy or dumb or evil. Not just that maybe you had bad luck.
- That the govt should regulate all drugs, what kind of sex you can have and who you can marry.
- That every human is born in the USA with an equal starting point, and thus, if you dont make it, fuck you, you had your chance.

The right wing didn't always stand for this.

But there has been a massive shift lately. And I left it.

My views dont necessarily line up with the left wing, which is why I dont vote Democrat right now. But they surely aren't GOP views any longer.
You say you aren't a dem, but that's essentially what we believe and stand for.

Not sure why or how you're not getting that message.

Well, here is why:

- I was really turned off by the war protests of 2002-2008. I believed a strong reaction to 9-11 was the right thing. That I didn't like.
- Im anti-union. I worked in one with Atlanta PD. Unions aren't good, not for modern society. They once were great, but now with the Dept of Labor, OSHA, etc, we dont need them. More harm than good.
- As a very pro-police guy, there is still a large anti-cop element on the left.

Thats really it. Im closer to the Dems than GOP by far now, but, cant quite make the complete move.

Another tribalist. Do you think America can survive by dividing us along lines of race and creed and having us chuck spears at one another?

You mean like the "Makers" vs "Takers" civil war the right is trying to spark?

Hey, wasnt it YOU who suggested this week we should fire anyone who......how did you word it.........."even looks like they voted for Obama"? Not sure how you determine what an Obama voter "looks" like, but that certainly would be divisive and chucking spears at fellow citizens.

Hypocrite.:lol:
Being that blacks voted 93% for Obama, you know all blacks are screwed under his company's administration.

Well, for that dumbass to fire anyone who "looks" like he voted for Obama, he'd have to base it off either race or gender.

And if he does that, it's an EOE violation, and he'll get his ass sued.

But, he's the type whose bark is far worse than his nibble.

Another tribalist. Do you think America can survive by dividing us along lines of race and creed and having us chuck spears at one another?

Hey, wasnt it YOU who suggested this week we should fire anyone who......how did you word it.........."even looks like they voted for Obama"? Not sure how you determine what an Obama voter "looks" like, but that certainly would be divisive and chucking spears at fellow citizens.

Being that blacks voted 93% for Obama, you know all blacks are screwed under his company's administration.

As people such as yourself and other tribalists such as rdean et al rave about how the blacks and hispanics have ganged up to take whitey down, how do you think that might bode for Black unemployment which is currently 14.4% and growing rapidly, as well as Hispanic unemployment which is 11%?

As people such as yourself and other tribalists such as rdean et al rave about how the blacks and hispanics have ganged up to take whitey down, how do you think that might bode for Black unemployment which is currently 14.4% and growing rapidly, as well as Hispanic unemployment which is 11%?

True. Thats gonna be hell on the poor communities. Gangs and drugs are gonna fill that void. Could get violent real quick, could spread to the burbs.

Better hope your local mayor has kept his PD well trained, staffed and morale is good. Unfortunately, most have spent the last 4 years tearing all that apart.

So......yeah,....this should be fun to watch.

What's funny is I heard all this same stuff four year's ago the Republican party was doomed it was dead blah, blah,blah, blah then two year's later they took the house from the Democrats and greatly reduced their advantage in the Senate two year's after that yes Obama keep the White house the Republicans keep the House and the Democrats only got a slight gain in the Senate so all of what we are seeing now in regards to the Republican party is just S.S.D Y.

Well, here is why:

- I was really turned off by the war protests of 2002-2008. I believed a strong reaction to 9-11 was the right thing. That I didn't like.
- Im anti-union. I worked in one with Atlanta PD. Unions aren't good, not for modern society. They once were great, but now with the Dept of Labor, OSHA, etc, we dont need them. More harm than good.
- As a very pro-police guy, there is still a large anti-cop element on the left.

Thats really it. Im closer to the Dems than GOP by far now, but, cant quite make the complete move.
Make the jump dude...you're practically already there.

We could use more sensible people like yourself who's able to better communicate with the right.

BTW, the "anti-cop" element stems from cop abuse. You should really come down hard on police abuse. They wield A LOT of power and people don't like to see that abused. I sometimes fall into ant-cop side. They are often a problem and not a solution. I vascilate on that matter. Sometimes I realize they're good, sometimes I realize they're evil. You must understand this.

Unions...they still have their place, don't mind them being adjusted for today, but within reason...can't have Big Corpa running roughshod...that wouldn't be good either. There needs to be a balance. I believe you can also understand this.

The war protests were ABSOLUTELY the RIGHT thing to do, if you were for that war and/or against the protest then I'll have to lump you back into the crazy group. Bush was wrong, wrong, wrong! The whole world knows that fact now. He was wrong. Plain and simple. Not to mention WASTED money like I don't know what....and countless lives. You should DETEST those 2 unnecessary wars.

What's funny is I heard all this same stuff four year's ago the Republican party was doomed it was dead blah, blah,blah, blah then two year's later they took the house from the Democrats and greatly reduced their advantage in the Senate two year's after that yes Obama keep the White house the Republicans keep the House and the Democrats only got a slight gain in the Senate so all of what we are seeing now in regards to the Republican party is just S.S.D Y.
Yeah, but guess what...all the damn teabaggers are OUT!!!

....and STAY OUT!!!

KickButt.gif

Well, here is why:

bullshit.....in many unfair terminations the Dept of Labor doesnt do shit....ESPECIALLY in Govt work.....and OSHA aint much better in investigating safety violations in the Govt.....

Well, here is why:

We could use more sensible people like yourself who's able to better communicate with the right.

BTW, the "anti-cop" element stems from cop abuse. You should really come down hard on police abuse. They wield A LOT of power and people don't like to see that abused. I sometimes fall into ant-cop side. They are often a problem and not a solution. I vascilate on that matter. Sometimes I realize they're good, sometimes I realize they're evil. You must understand this.

Unions...they still have their place, don't mind them being adjusted for today, but within reason...can't have Big Corpa running roughshod...that wouldn't be good either. There needs to be a balance. I believe you can also understand this.

The war protests were ABSOLUTELY the RIGHT thing to do, if you were for that war and/or against the protest then I'll have to lump you back into the crazy group. Bush was wrong, wrong, wrong! The whole world knows that fact now. He was wrong. Plain and simple. Not to mention WASTED money like I don't know what....and countless lives. You should DETEST those 2 unnecessary wars.

going into Afghanistan was not the thing to do?....

Well, here is why:

going into Afghanistan was not the thing to do?....
What did it accomplish?

Back to the OP, I think that any political party that for whatever reason implements religion into their political views is ultimately flawed and wrong. It violates separation of church and state and freedom from religion.

...I now expect a post calling me a fuckhead and explaining why I'm wrong.

Back to the OP, I think that any political party that for whatever reason implements religion into their political views is ultimately flawed and wrong. It violates separation of church and state and freedom from religion.

Actually, I'll correct you right there.

It doesn't state freedom FROM religion, that's a hard LW distortion, it states freedom OF religion. Two VASTLY different things/meanings.

With that said, the hard RW has taken the religion thing a bit overboard, to put it nicely.

As I'm reading the various posts and threads on here, and recollecting what I've read elsewhere (hint: I Lost My Sanity) and what I'm seeing the RW say in the "lame stream media."

Many "conservatives" seem to equate conservative with right wing fundamentalist christianity.

So much so that there is an internal war that has begun where the RW Christian Fundamentalist are either leaving on their own or being asked to leave if they can't tone down or out their RW fundamentalist Christianity w/their one-issue social-issue voting.

Actually, what do you consider "conservative" to mean anyway. What does conservative mean to you USMB?

So do some progressives, what's your point?

It doesn't state freedom FROM religion, that's a hard LW distortion, it states freedom OF religion. Two VASTLY different things/meanings.

With that said, the hard RW has taken the religion thing a bit overboard, to put it nicely.

Haha, it was an intentional misquote.
My perfect America lacks religion of any sort.

You’re correct in that such a political party attempts to codify into secular law its religious dogma.

Haha, it was an intentional misquote.
My perfect America lacks religion of any sort.
As a Christian, I believe that b/c gave God Himself gave man freedom to CHOOSE right or wrong, the CHOICE to obey him or follow man's folly, aka Satan, I don't get myself twisted into knots about people choosing to do what they want. It's their life, they'll have to account to God.

I don't force my beliefs on anyone. Now if someone wants to be shown who God is, or why He is, I'll be more than happy, but it's not my place to impose it.

Take you for instance, seems like you're an atheist. Does it offend me? Nope. Does it fascinate me, yeah...kinda. But that's about it.

What does offend me, however, is how the RW has taken Christianity and distorted it, cheapened it and gave it a very bad name in the public, especially to people like you. Which makes the job of winning precious souls to Christ that much more difficult.

Last edited:
You’re correct in that such a political party attempts to codify into secular law its religious dogma.
And why, why, why would anyone try to force religious dogma down anyone's throat?

As a Christian, I believe that b/c gave God Himself gave man freedom to CHOOSE right or wrong, the CHOICE to obey him or follow man's folly, aka Satan, I don't get myself twisted into knots about people choosing to do what they want. It's their life, they'll have to account to God.

I don't force my beliefs on anyone. Now if someone wants to be shown who God is, or why He is, I'll be more than happy, but it's not my place to impose it.

Take you for instance, seems like you're an atheist. Does it offend me? Nope. Does it fascinate me, yeah...kinda. But that's about it.

I've walked that walk, my friend. I don't hold the hardcore hate that many atheists do for religion. I just woke up one day and realized that God was completely irrelevant in my life. It became a personal choice to walk away from my church, and yes, it was a hard one: I lost a lot of friends and my father basically disowned me for it.

I don't criticize people for their faith. I think faith is a beautiful thing. I just shifted my faith from a deity to humanity itself, to what we can accomplish, to what we can achieve.

And why, why, why would anyone try to force religious dogma down anyone's throat?

I've walked that walk, my friend. I don't hold the hardcore hate that many atheists do for religion. I just woke up one day and realized that God was completely irrelevant in my life. It became a personal choice to walk away from my church, and yes, it was a hard one: I lost a lot of friends and my father basically disowned me for it.

I don't criticize people for their faith. I think faith is a beautiful thing. I just shifted my faith from a deity to humanity itself, to what we can accomplish, to what we can achieve.
Well, I pray for people like you. In my experience, those that walk away from the church is almost always as a result of some hurt by a fellow member or leader in the church, often by witnessing a terrible case of hypocrisy.

I've been in the world myself, after being raised in a Christian home. I get it.

However, I've come to see God myself and learning to love and respect Him more and more...it's not an easy road.

Conservative means many different thing to different people as is so clearly evidenced by the posts right here on USMB

For some Conservative means nationalism and fiscal conservatism.

For others it means hating minorities and non-christians.

Forum List

Back