From what I have been reading lately, justice system stinks !

I have been caught in this unjustice system once for a supposed crime that wasn't a crime (unlawful possession of a weapon). Luckily, it was caught before I had a trial because I was facing a mandatory 10 year prison sentence. I have no confidence in the police or the judges anymore. And I feel sorry for any innocent person that has to face them.

The system is screwed up, more innocent people are put to death than actual criminals serve their time. Most judges use their opinions over the actual law and the cops can't really get the real criminals without getting sued.

If you're an ordinary person rather than a career criminal, I hope you never get tangled up with the criminal justice system especially if you are innocent. Remember, never, ever speak to the police, say absolutely nothing. It doesn't matter if you think you're innocent, don't volunteer any information and get a lawyer immediately. I'm serious and not kidding in any way.

The system is screwed up, more innocent people are put to death than actual criminals serve their time. Most judges use their opinions over the actual law and the cops can't really get the real criminals without getting sued.

Straight up lie. Provide evidence any innocent people have been put to death, much less more then serve any time.

Straight up lie. Provide evidence any innocent people have been put to death, much less more then serve any time.

Um ... really, you can't be that uneducated.

Bored so may as well post some of the examples:

The latest news on criminal justice, wrongful convictions, justice reform - Justice NewsLadder
Death penalty wrongful conviction count up - Religion
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/opinion/02moran.html
Death Penalty Issues | DNA Exoneration | Wrongful Convictions | Innocence Project
Duke Magazine-Overturning Wrongful Convictions-Jul/Aug 2002
DNA exonerations put heat on Texas county - Crime & courts- msnbc.com
The Truth About Wrongful Conviction

Though it's hard because the US doesn't track the actual statistics so you have to count the number of cases yourself. Also, it's hard to filter through all the biased bull from both sides. I actually know three people wrongfully convicted in person, one for statutory rape (before they allowed for DNA evidence in court), one for drug trafficking (though they could have gotten her for public intoxication), and a final was for shoplifting (but the store had more to do with that one). While the shop lifting one is something I have to take her word for ... the others I know were wrongful convictions. But these articles focus more on worse cases (death penalty victims) I feel more sorry for those wrongfully convicted of sex crimes because they have to live with ruined lives in a "witch hunt" society.

The latest news on criminal justice, wrongful convictions, justice reform - Justice NewsLadder
Death Penalty Issues | DNA Exoneration | Wrongful Convictions | Innocence Project

Though it's hard because the US doesn't track the actual statistics so you have to count the number of cases yourself. Also, it's hard to filter through all the biased bull from both sides. I actually know three people wrongfully convicted in person, one for statutory rape (before they allowed for DNA evidence in court), one for drug trafficking (though they could have gotten her for public intoxication), and a final was for shoplifting (but the store had more to do with that one). While the shop lifting one is something I have to take her word for ... the others I know were wrongful convictions. But these articles focus more on worse cases (death penalty victims) I feel more sorry for those wrongfully convicted of sex crimes because they have to live with ruined lives in a "witch hunt" society.

YOUR CLAIM WAS people were put to DEATH in greater numbers then those serving time that are guilty. These prove none of that.

Ohh and by the way dumb shit, finding out people were wrongly convicted and then RELEASING them proves the system works.

Ohh and by the way dumb shit, finding out people were wrongly convicted and then RELEASING them proves the system works.

They're not just released; most of the time they are paid millions of bux restitution money, the bill laid upon the people. Maybe that is why some of the States are so far in debt.

Upon what do you base all this profound knowledge of the US Court system?

Have you ever worked in the system? Is this personal knowledge or something you read or heard somewhere? Inquiring minds want to know!

If you're an ordinary person rather than a career criminal, I hope you never get tangled up with the criminal justice system especially if you are innocent. Remember, never, ever speak to the police, say absolutely nothing. It doesn't matter if you think you're innocent, don't volunteer any information and get a lawyer immediately. I'm serious and not kidding in any way.

I hate to say it, but that's actually pretty good advice.

Since I've actually had experience defending the criminals, I think I have something to add on the topic.

Look, innocent people probably get put away. Statistically, it is a very small number. The US system is very generous. Here you start with a presumption of innocence even if the evidence is stacked against you. That's a pretty good head start. We use an adversarial system to seek the truth. Lawyers are pitted against each other and motivated by many things not the least of which is ego. It is not a perfect system. You cannot have perfect information in any case, whether it is tried here under our rules or elsewhere under their rules. Bottom line, you cannot have "perfect justice." It just doesn't exist.

Having said all that, my experience tells me a few things about my former clients:
1) 90% of them, if they were not guilty of the thing I was defending them on, had committed another crime they got away with.

2) Far more guilty people go free than innocents go to jail.

3) If you increase the burden on the "persecutor" to prove guilty (and thereby reduce the number of innocents going to jail), you will have far more criminals getting put right back on the street.

It's easy to say, "I'd rather have 100 guilty people go free, than 1 innocent go to jail." But, the truth is it would 1000s of guilty going free to 1 innocent being imprisoned. And, let one of those 1000s brutally rape and murder someone you care about and see if you still like increasing the burden.

YOUR CLAIM WAS people were put to DEATH in greater numbers then those serving time that are guilty. These prove none of that.

Somehow, I think the fact that the innocent were jailed in the first place proves the system doesn't work. How many innocent never get the chance to prove their case. Many of those innocent people who are released are released because organizations take on their case and provide the proof to the justice system. Worse, even then, when they are proved innocent, they are often not released immediately. The prosecutors do everything in their power to keep them in jail as long as possible because releasing an innocent person on their watch goes on their record.

Particularly if you're a kid. Cops intimidate and coerce kids all the time into saying things that just aren't true, and then the parents can't unravel or afford the mess.

It's nauseating, but not a symptom so much of a messed up justice system as it is of asshole cop culture.

Somehow, I think the fact that the innocent were jailed in the first place proves the system doesn't work. How many innocent never get the chance to prove their case. Many of those innocent people who are released are released because organizations take on their case and provide the proof to the justice system. Worse, even then, when they are proved innocent, they are often not released immediately. The prosecutors do everything in their power to keep them in jail as long as possible because releasing an innocent person on their watch goes on their record.

I'm not sure that you can ever reach a standard where NO innocent people ever get convicted. The system relies on people to run it and people aren't perfect. That doesn't mean we should stop striving. Nor does it mean that our justice system is worse than others.

As a side note, we don't prove people innocent, we prove them not guilty. It really is significantly different.

I'm not sure that you can ever reach a standard where NO innocent people ever get convicted. The system relies on people to run it and people aren't perfect. That doesn't mean we should stop striving. Nor does it mean that our justice system is worse than others.

As a side note, we don't prove people innocent, we prove them not guilty. It really is significantly different.

Actually, my gripe (being of the "I don't really care" about the death penalty crowd) is that we do need to use many of the sciences available everywhere that are still widely ignored. If someone did ever harm me I would want justice, not having to worry too much about the wrong person getting it, I want the right person persecuted otherwise it's just wouldn't be worth it. There are many ways to decrease the number of innocent people prosecuted but still many courts will ignore a ton of evidence. Some still deny DNA evidence, even in this day. As for criminals NOT serving there time, I know a LOT personally (I don't like them so I don't know them that well) who have gotten out on technicalities or by finding a loophole (like rehabilitation programs) only to get back out on our tax dollars and commit more crime, while innocent people have to sit in jail/prison until the case can be reheard, and many more will never get their lives back just because the evidence no longer exists (such as the statutory rape incident which is more common than you seem to think). Now rape cases have the benefit of DNA evidence in most courts to ensure that almost all cases are at least a person who actually had sex with them, but it is still impossible to protect them completely from false rape charges. Junkies and drunks are let out with slaps on the wrist just for joining a program (all funded by tax dollars) and the programs rarely work. The wealthy can just buy their way out of jail. It's just a mess right now and people denying that it can be fixed are fooling themselves.

It's probably not the best idea to identify yourself as someone who knows a lot of criminals.....

but oddly, I sort of half-assed agree with you.

Forum List

Back