FRom Priesthood To Bishops..Women Gain Ground in Christian Religion

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
June 19, 2006 — Bishop Katherine Jefferts Schori is putting a dent in the so-called "stained-glass ceiling" of centuries of male domination within the church.

Over the weekend, she was chosen to be the Episcopal Church's first female presiding bishop by the U.S. arm of the global Anglican Communion.

"I think my election to this position shows that the bishops of this church are able to make decisions without regard to the gender of the person being considered — which is what we're all hoping for across the board," Schori said.

That's not what everyone's hoping for, though. Her election to the nine-year term threatens to split the Episcopal Church in the United States and across the world.

"It breaks my heart. I was born into this church," said Pittsburgh-based Bishop Robert Duncan. "What this church has done is embrace a revolutionary agenda rather than a part of mainstream Christianity."

According to The Associated Press, three Episcopal dioceses are rejecting the vote to nominate Schori, and they have asked the Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams to appoint another Anglican leader.

First Female Catholic Priest to Be Ordained

In the early 1970s as the women's movement gained steam, more females entered the ministry.

Presbyterians, Episcopalians, United Methodists and American Baptists now regularly ordain women. That's a relatively small percentage of American Christians.

Most evangelical denominations and the Catholic Church steadfastly refuse to ordain women.

However, that is changing. In late July, Joan Clark Hauk, a grandmother from Pennsylvania, will be ordained as a Catholic priest, along with seven other women.

It will be the first ceremony of its kind in this country, but one the Vatican will not condone.

Hauk said she wanted the church to "turn away from committing the sin of discriminating against women and blaming it on God."

Schori, a former scientist and amateur pilot, is quietly confident she can win converts.

http://www.newsalerts.com/news/arti...nd-in-christian-organizations.html:us0:688369

I think its interesting that more and more we are focusing on political correctness in religion rather than what the Lord wants.

I think its interesting that more and more we are focusing on political correctness in religion rather than what the Lord wants.
You care to explain what you mean by this?

Didn't that new head Bishop decide to ingore many verses and declare by fiat that homosexual acts are not sinful?

While not being a christian I am unmoved by such a dogma shift, it is interesting to me that they elect a person that simply decides such things because if "feels" right.... Were I christian I doubtless would be uncomfortable with this type of action...

I'm split on the issue of female priests, but I'm definitely completely against any priest who contradicts the Bible because she doesn't like certain parts of it. You know, there have been a couple of times when I wish they didn't have those pesky rules in there about fornication and lieing, but I followed them anyway because I know the biblical rules are there for my own good and that God doesn't make mistakes.

As for female ministers, I've seen them before in both the Methodist Church and the Assemblies of God, but I've also heard a few compelling arguments against it, not least of which being that the man is supposed to be the head of the household, something hard to do if his wife is the head of the church.

Joz said:
You care to explain what you mean by this?

I mean too many religions are concerned more about being progressive and politically correct than even going to the Lord to find out whats right.

This for examples. concerned more about having female Bishops then going to God to find out its correct. You notice in all of these votes by the Congregations that changes things, there is absolutely no mention of them asking the Lord His opinion. I mean if the Lord wants to change something He can, I mean He is God, but I just think its interesting that all these Congregations want to change things on a vote without consulting the Lord.

I mean too many religions are concerned more about being progressive and politically correct than even going to the Lord to find out whats right.

This for examples. concerned more about having female Bishops then going to God to find out its correct. You notice in all of these votes by the Congregations that changes things, there is absolutely no mention of them asking the Lord His opinion. I mean if the Lord wants to change something He can, I mean He is God, but I just think its interesting that all these Congregations want to change things on a vote without consulting the Lord.
As a congregation they should have, But, you don't know what individuals have fervently asked for guidance from God.

Woman can do work that men cannot (and visa versa). This is NOT an entirely bad idea. The thing to do is to work together.

It all goes back to people wanting to change the word of God to suit their morality..... not God's.

Hobbit said:
....... but I've also heard a few compelling arguments against it, not least of which being that the man is supposed to be the head of the household, something hard to do if his wife is the head of the church.
How so?

Hobbit said:
I'm split on the issue of female priests, but I'm definitely completely against any priest who contradicts the Bible because she doesn't like certain parts of it. You know, there have been a couple of times when I wish they didn't have those pesky rules in there about fornication and lieing, but I followed them anyway because I know the biblical rules are there for my own good and that God doesn't make mistakes.

As for female ministers, I've seen them before in both the Methodist Church and the Assemblies of God, but I've also heard a few compelling arguments against it, not least of which being that the man is supposed to be the head of the household, something hard to do if his wife is the head of the church.

In the Catholic church, women do play very important roles as nuns, administrators, school principals....They hold PHD's in psychology, business, and theology. Most importantly they devote their lives to Christ and the church. What more could they possibly want? Pride is a funny thing but it doesn't come from God...

Bonnie said:
In the Catholic church, women do play very important roles as nuns, administrators, school principals....They hold PHD's in psychology, business, and theology. Most importantly they devote their lives to Christ and the church. What more could they possibly want? Pride is a funny thing but it doesn't come from God...
Even more:

http://www.catholicnews.com/jpii/stories/story12.htm
Pope John Paul II looked closely at role of women in church

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- In authoritative theological documents and in heartfelt pastoral letters, Pope John Paul II looked at the role of women in the church and in the world more closely than any other pope in modern history.

On topics as diverse as the priesthood, motherhood, abortion, work, religious life and peacemaking, women were a recurring and often controversial subject for Pope John Paul.

During his more than 26-year pontificate, as women consolidated their place in some of the highest echelons of temporal power, the pope and the Catholic Church were the objects of continuous criticism about the status of women in the church.

The issue of women and the priesthood generated discussion and dissent within the Catholic Church and became a major ecumenical stumbling block when some churches in the Anglican Communion began ordaining women.

Nevertheless, during Pope John Paul's pontificate, women took over pastoral and administrative duties in priestless parishes, they were appointed chancellors of dioceses around the world, and they began swelling the ranks of "experts" at Vatican synods and symposiums. In 2004, for the first time, the pope appointed two women theologians to the prestigious International Theological Commission and named a Harvard University law professor, Mary Ann Glendon, to be president of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences.

While defending women's rights and their "equal dignity" with men, the pope also highlighted the ways women are and should be different from men.

Women and men have complementary natures, he taught, and their "diversity of roles" in the church and in the family are a reflection of that reality.

The pope's teaching on complementarity formed the basis for a 2004 document by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith on male-female collaboration in the church and society. Describing discrimination against women and male-female rivalry as results of sin, the document said the differences between the sexes are part of God's plan for creation -- not social constructs -- and that church and society benefit when the gifts of both are recognized.

While decrying discrimination against women and urging their promotion in all spheres of community and social life, the pope unequivocally reaffirmed the teaching that the church cannot ordain them to the priesthood.

The basic elements of his teaching on women are found in his 1988 apostolic letter, "Mulieris Dignitatem" ("The Dignity of Women"), his 1994 apostolic letter, "On Reserving Priestly Ordination to Men Alone," and his 1995 "Letter to Women."

But his thoughts on women also could be found in significant segments of his weekly general audience series on sexuality and on the structure of the church, his 1988 apostolic exhortation on the laity, his 1995 message for World Peace Day, and his messages to the leaders of the U.N. conferences on population and on women.

Even one of his annual heart-to-heart letters to the world's priests dwelt on the topic of women, particularly on the importance of women -- mothers, sisters and friends -- in the lives of priests.

The starting point of "Mulieris Dignitatem" was what Scripture had to say about women, especially Eve and Mary, and Christ's attitude toward women in the New Testament.

In the letter, the pope argued against outdated cultural views that God meant women to be subject to men. Both were created in God's image and likeness with equal dignity, he said.

Women have been subjugated because human beings are sinful, he said, and "the situations in which the woman remains disadvantaged or discriminated against by the fact of being a woman" are the continuing consequences of sin.

The fact that God chose a woman, the Virgin Mary, to play such an important role in the world's salvation leaves little doubt about the God-given dignity of women, the pope wrote.

In his 1994 apostolic letter on ordination, Pope John Paul said the church's ban on women priests is definitive and not open to debate among Catholics.

The all-male priesthood, he wrote, does not represent discrimination against women, but fidelity to Christ's actions and his plan for the church.

The pope's document reaffirmed the basis for ordaining only men: Christ chose only men to be his Apostles, it has been the constant practice of the Catholic and Orthodox churches, and the magisterium's teaching on the matter has been consistent.

Pope John Paul took his teaching directly to the world's women in a 1995 letter in which he thanked them for all they have done, apologized for the church's failure to always recognize their contributions and condemned the "long and degrading history" of sexual violence against women.

Evaluating the women's liberation movement as being generally positive, the pope called for changes to make women's equality a reality in the world. He called for equal pay for equal work, protection for working mothers and fairness in career advancement.

But he also mentioned a growing concern in his thinking and teaching: a belief that modern societies were denigrating motherhood and penalizing women who chose to have children.

While the pope carefully avoided discussing women exclusively in terms of their possible roles as virgins or mothers, he exalted the virtues of both.

He repeatedly pointed to women's potential as bearers of life as part of the "feminine genius" that the world so desperately needs as it struggles against the "culture of death" marked by war, abortion and euthanasia.

Perhaps the most poignant example of the pope's trust in women's sensitivity to life was a 1993 letter to an archbishop in war-ravaged Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Denouncing the widespread practice of ethnically motivated rape during the war, the pope also pleaded with the victims, their families and their communities to welcome and love any babies conceived as a result of rape.

"The unborn, having no responsibility for the deplorable act that occurred, is innocent and therefore cannot in any way be considered an aggressor," the pope wrote.

"The whole community must draw close to these women who have been so painfully offended and to their families, to help them transform an act of violence into an act of love and welcome," he said.

The family, in its natural role as a "sanctuary of life and love," is the place to start rebuilding societies torn apart by violence, Pope John Paul taught.

The fact that God chose a woman, the Virgin Mary, to play such an important role in the world's salvation leaves little doubt about the God-given dignity of women, the pope wrote.

In his 1994 apostolic letter on ordination, Pope John Paul said the church's ban on women priests is definitive and not open to debate among Catholics.

The all-male priesthood, he wrote, does not represent discrimination against women, but fidelity to Christ's actions and his plan for the church.

The pope's document reaffirmed the basis for ordaining only men: Christ chose only men to be his Apostles, it has been the constant practice of the Catholic and Orthodox churches, and the magisterium's teaching on the matter has been consistent.

kathianne, that right there I believe, says it perfectly.

I can't speak for other Christian demoninations as I don't know their doctrine, if they are allowing women ministers/priests I have to assume it's within their church teachings to do so.

Bonnie said:
kathianne, that right there I believe, says it perfectly.

I can't speak for other Christian demoninations as I don't know their doctrine, if they are allowing women ministers/priests I have to assume it's within their church teachings to do so.
Exactly. I know several former nuns that think this was so wrong. I disagree with them. I think there are purposes and gifts in all of us, just some are different.

As for any other church; their church, their rules. Doesn't bother me, at all.

Kathianne said:
.....I think there are purposes and gifts in all of us, just some are different.
Bonnie said:
....if they are allowing women ministers/priests I have to assume it's within their church teachings to do so.

There IS Bible precedence to all this. NO where does it ever mention that a woman cannot serve God in this capacity.

Joz said:
There IS Bible precedence to all this. NO where does it ever mention that a woman cannot serve God in this capacity.

I believe you Joz, I trust that most Christians take their teachings very seriously. :):beer:

Forum List

Back