from Haaretz: Obama, the first U.S. president to tell AIPAC the truth

May 22, 2011
from Haaretz

Obama, the first U.S. president to tell AIPAC the truth

Obama did not go to the AIPAC conference to iron out differences between him and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. He went there to settle misunderstandings with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

By Akiva Eldar

Appearing before the annual conference of AIPAC, the American pro-Israel lobby, is what all candidates for president of the United States dream about. It's their big chance to attract the Jewish vote and Jewish contributions. It's the setting where they can reap the benefits of declarations of loyalty to Israel, elegantly bypassing anything that might rile supporters. That's where, 16 years ago, Republican candidate Bob Dole announced a legislative initiative, at an inopportune moment, to move the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, in one of the low points in the peace process.

No American president or presidential candidate has ever told this large Jewish audience of supporters of Israel the truth. Until yesterday, that is. Obama did not go to the AIPAC conference to iron out differences between him and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. He went there to settle misunderstandings with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

Obama's explanation regarding his statement last week at the State Department regarding borders, meaning the 1967 borders with mutually agreed-upon swaps, has been acceptable to the Palestinian side for some time. Any diplomat trainee at the Israeli Foreign Ministry would know that not only would Palestinians never agree to have the Israeli army stationed for decades along the Jordan River, but neither would the Americans support Netanyahu's demand that the IDF control Palestinian territory.

It is not coincidental that seasoned Palestinian adviser Saeb Erekat quickly announced yesterday that if Netanyahu were to accept that principle, the path to negotiations would be open and Israel would be able to spare itself and Obama the headache of a vote at the United Nations in September on recognition of a Palestinian state.

Obama fed Netanyahu a heaping portion of Passover bitter herbs garnished with sweet apple haroset. He did not try to make nice. After long deliberations, the die was cast at the White House. Plans would no longer be tailor-made for the government of hour in Israel, as America's perennial Middle East adviser Dennis Ross was known to do.

Yesterday came the turn of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who has learned a thing or two about Netanyahu's maneuvers. Precisely in the run-up to a tough election year, Obama decided to adopt the approach of the secretary of state, to take off the kid gloves and show the true face of the head of the Jewish state on his guest's home court.

Obama's AIPAC speech is the bill the president is submitting to Netanyahu for the dinners that the Israeli prime minister thought he had gotten for free. The time has come to pay for American opposition to the Goldstone commission report on the Israeli incursion in Gaza and the veto of the UN Security Council's condemnation of construction in West Bank settlements. Obama denied Netanyahu the opportunity to exercise a veto on the terms for negotiations with the Palestinians. The U.S. president said that negotiations could not be conducted with Hamas as long as the organization does not recognize Israel's right to exist, refuses to accept existing international obligations and engages in terrorism. The Palestinian party to the negotiations was and remains the Palestine Liberation Organization and not Hamas.

Obama also rejected Netanyahu's demand that negotiations begin based on the principle of Palestinian recognition of Israel as the nation-state of the Jewish people. The president was careful to speak about both parties' right to self-determination. Period.

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon used to liken Israel's participation in negotiations on the future of the territories to cattle being led through the corral to the slaughterhouse. When Netanyahu returns home, he will have to decide once and for all if he is ready to lose the support of an American president who yesterday went into the lion's den or enter the corral of negotiations that in the end, and perhaps even from the beginning, will threaten him with political slaughter. Netanyahu's choice not to attend yesterday's convention session may indicate which direction he will choose.

Well.. The person that wrote that OP-ED totally missed what actually happened and obviously has a dislike for Netanyahu.. Just an op-ed by a lib… wasted post.

In October 2007 Akiva Eldar has won the annual Eliav-Sartawi award for Middle Eastern journalism, awarded by Search for Common Ground, an international conflict transformation organization, sharing it with Jordanian journalist Salameh Nematt.[1]

Nahum Barnea, winner of the Israel Prize, formulated the "Lynch test", which tests the consistency of Israeli journalists.[citation needed] According to Eldar, Barnea listed Eldar as one of several journalists "who could not bring themselves to criticize the Arabs even when two Israelis were savagely murdered by a mob in Ramallah", that their "support for the Palestinian position is absolute", and that "they have a mission."[2] Eldar, responded that "I admit to being guilty as charged. I am a journalist with a mission, and also no small amount of passion. Every Israeli with a conscience, in particular one who watches reality from up close on a daily basis, cannot write about the occupation from an objective observer's neutral point of view."[2] In a response op-ed, Calev Ben-David wrote that if Eldar is not empathetic of the Israelis' concerns, he will do little "to advance the Palestinian cause, as he merely preaches to the converted and makes his own conscience feel cleaner in the process."[3]

Akiva Eldar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JROC-

You obviously are on the right on these issues--which for me is great, because I always appreciate having an intelligent discussion with people I don't necessarily agree with.

I posted a message stating that I thought it would be in Israel's interest to reject US aid and instead pay for the weapons itself given that it has a big enough economy ($217B GDP) and relatively little debt compared to the US and Europe. Meanwhile it is unseemly to lecture the President of the country that is your chief donor. So there are two ways to solve this, either kiss ass or reject the aid. I think it may be in everyone's interest now for Israel to reject the aid. What do you think?

JROC-

You obviously are on the right on these issues--which for me is great, because I always appreciate having an intelligent discussion with people I don't necessarily agree with.

I posted a message stating that I thought it would be in Israel's interest to reject US aid and instead pay for the weapons itself given that it has a big enough economy ($217B GDP) and relatively little debt compared to the US and Europe. Meanwhile it is unseemly to lecture the President of the country that is your chief donor. So there are two ways to solve this, either kiss ass or reject the aid. I think it may be in everyone's interest now for Israel to reject the aid. What do you think?

It has always been the goal of Natanyahu to get off of foreign aid but like i said in another thread there are forces at work boycotting all Israeli made goods,, so it's taking a little longer but I'm sure you are for all foreign aid being cut right? And it's Obama who has to "kiss ass" becouse the pro-Israel lobby is strong and he can't win the election without their support.:cool:

"It is not coincidental that seasoned Palestinian adviser Saeb Erekat quickly announced yesterday that if Netanyahu were to accept that principle, the path to negotiations would be open and Israel would be able to spare itself and Obama the headache of a vote at the United Nations in September on recognition of a Palestinian state."

In other words, it won't mean peace, Israel will have to meet further demands, for a short peace.

Israel and the world, knows the Pals won't be peaceful allies after being given land, since it's been done. And since the main charter of Hamas, a terror group, is to destroy Israel...

"The Palestinian party to the negotiations was and remains the Palestine Liberation Organization and not Hamas."

don't be dim.
If the PLO does agrees to anything, Hamas does not have to follow it b/c THEY have the power.

First you're quoting an opinion piece. Second, you're quoting the most left-wing newspaper in Israel, which is filled with left-wing newspapers. Of course they will side with Israel bashers they are suicidal leftist. Since after all liberalims is a mental disorder!

Obama continues to appease the Muslim world. We can get along with the Muslims, it is the terrorist that we have the problem with. Israel is not going to give anything back. From the top of the Golan heights the entire valley is fair picking of an aggressor. They would be a fool to give it up. Egypt had 100,000 troops on the border and sent the UN peace keepers home. Israel could not afford to wait till they attacked. They have been in a continual state of siege since they were given the country in the 40's.

"It is not coincidental that seasoned Palestinian adviser Saeb Erekat quickly announced yesterday that if Netanyahu were to accept that principle, the path to negotiations would be open and Israel would be able to spare itself and Obama the headache of a vote at the United Nations in September on recognition of a Palestinian state."

In other words, it won't mean peace, Israel will have to meet further demands, for a short peace.

Israel and the world, knows the Pals won't be peaceful allies after being given land, since it's been done. And since the main charter of Hamas, a terror group, is to destroy Israel...

What do you mean by " being given land?"

Essentially he's correct.

You own the land you can seize and protect. That's how history works. And it works that way in nature too.

Essentially he's correct.

You own the land you can seize and protect. That's how history works. And it works that way in nature too.

I am curious. Which land are you talking about and in what process did Israel get that land

Forum List

Back