From Barry... A Coward on the Issue of Same Sex Marriage...

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer:

I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I hope you'll take a moment to watch the conversation, consider it, and weigh in yourself on behalf of marriage equality:

http://my.barackobama.com/Marriage

I've always believed that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally. I was reluctant to use the term marriage because of the very powerful traditions it evokes. And I thought civil union laws that conferred legal rights upon gay and lesbian couples were a solution.

But over the course of several years I've talked to friends and family about this. I've thought about members of my staff in long-term, committed, same-sex relationships who are raising kids together. Through our efforts to end the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, I've gotten to know some of the gay and lesbian troops who are serving our country with honor and distinction.

What I've come to realize is that for loving, same-sex couples, the denial of marriage equality means that, in their eyes and the eyes of their children, they are still considered less than full citizens.

Even at my own dinner table, when I look at Sasha and Malia, who have friends whose parents are same-sex couples, I know it wouldn't dawn on them that their friends' parents should be treated differently.

So I decided it was time to affirm my personal belief that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I respect the beliefs of others, and the right of religious institutions to act in accordance with their own doctrines. But I believe that in the eyes of the law, all Americans should be treated equally. And where states enact same-sex marriage, no federal act should invalidate them.

If you agree, you can stand up with me here.

Thank you,

Barack

---

He is a Coward Attempting to play both Sides.

Just as I Thought.

He Thinks he can get the "States Righters" to be with him on this while Appearing to Support Gay Marriage outright.

That's not what he said, yet that's how the Press has Delivered for him.

:)

peace...

He was damned when he didn't and damned when he did. The guy can't win. Go soak your head!!!!

As long as clergy aren't forced to perform marriages they do not agree with, I have no problem with gay marriage and absolutely can not figure out why so many "Small Government" types do.

He was damned when he didn't and damned when he did. The guy can't win. Go soak your head!!!!

He didn't... That's the thing.

He should say Gay Marriage is a Right or it's Not.

If it's a Right, then a Federal Law should be the Answer... If not a Constitutional Amendment.

He is Stating the Obvious which is the States can do what they want.

He's a Fucking Dishonest Weasel.

peace....

As long as clergy aren't forced to perform marriages they do not agree with, I have no problem with gay marriage and absolutely can not figure out why so many "Small Government" types do.

Because a Church can't Deny a Black Person based on Race...

If Sexuality becomes the same as Race, then the Catholic Church will be Violating Rights by not Performing Marriages...

Not to mention Benefits for Employees etc.

peace...

Obama has been patronizing, using, and all out lying to Gays for 4 years. What has he done for them but make speeches?

The timing of this latest patronizing speech is important. it comes on the heels of the NC vote and his drop in support in many key states. It's 100% pandering and one would have to drink an awful lot of the Kool Aide not to see right through it.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

If it's a Right, then a Federal Law should be the Answer... If not a Constitutional Amendment.

peace....

And you are are constantly whining no matter what the prez does. I think you're just jealous because your presidential candidates always stink!!!

peace....

And you are are constantly whining no matter what the prez does. I think you're just jealous because your presidential candidates always stink!!!

Link?

Bet I can find one where I hammered Romney... :thup:

And have yet to post one Praising Romney.

peace...

Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer:

I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I hope you'll take a moment to watch the conversation, consider it, and weigh in yourself on behalf of marriage equality:

http://my.barackobama.com/Marriage

I've always believed that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally. I was reluctant to use the term marriage because of the very powerful traditions it evokes. And I thought civil union laws that conferred legal rights upon gay and lesbian couples were a solution.

But over the course of several years I've talked to friends and family about this. I've thought about members of my staff in long-term, committed, same-sex relationships who are raising kids together. Through our efforts to end the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, I've gotten to know some of the gay and lesbian troops who are serving our country with honor and distinction.

What I've come to realize is that for loving, same-sex couples, the denial of marriage equality means that, in their eyes and the eyes of their children, they are still considered less than full citizens.

Even at my own dinner table, when I look at Sasha and Malia, who have friends whose parents are same-sex couples, I know it wouldn't dawn on them that their friends' parents should be treated differently.

So I decided it was time to affirm my personal belief that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I respect the beliefs of others, and the right of religious institutions to act in accordance with their own doctrines. But I believe that in the eyes of the law, all Americans should be treated equally. And where states enact same-sex marriage, no federal act should invalidate them.

If you agree, you can stand up with me here.

Thank you,

Barack

---

He is a Coward Attempting to play both Sides.

Just as I Thought.

He Thinks he can get the "States Righters" to be with him on this while Appearing to Support Gay Marriage outright.

That's not what he said, yet that's how the Press has Delivered for him.

peace...

ALL Citizens have the expectation to be treated equally in the land of Liberty. NOT used as pawns for political expediency.

he didn't... That's the thing.

He should say gay marriage is a right or it's not.

If it's a right, then a federal law should be the answer... If not a constitutional amendment.

He is stating the obvious which is the states can do what they want.

He's a fucking dishonest weasel.

peace....

and you are are constantly whining no matter what the prez does. I think you're just jealous because your presidential candidates always stink!!!

link?

Bet i can find one where i hammered romney... :thup:

And have yet to post one praising romney.

peace...

$imagesCAVFEV5A.jpg

Those who claim to love liberty make exceptions it seems.

How about the state get out of marriage altogether and let the churches/internet marriage peddlers go about their business?

No federal laws, if the folks tend towards the internet preachers or religious, the states lose their influence and revenue stream.

How about the state get out of marriage altogether and let the churches/internet marriage peddlers go about their business?

No federal laws, if the folks tend towards the internet preachers or religious, the states lose their influence and revenue stream.

And HANDLE IT under civil LAW?

Other than estate, keep the state out of it, altogether.

Those who claim to love liberty make exceptions it seems.

not so....

there's no real problem with gays getting married.....in fact they already CAN get married in their Unitarian church or whatever....

however....making it law changes the definition of what the MAJORITY of Amercians have the right to define as marriage....one man/one woman.....

it also makes the umbrella of government all that much BIGGER....since more people would be getting government licenses, paying SS benefits to more spouses, more gay education in the public schools, etc.

Other than estate, keep the state out of it, altogether.

Agreed.

Forum List

Back