From Backstreet boys to faith-based music

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
01545.jpg

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - When the term "crossover" is used in conjunction with Christian music, it usually refers to a Christian act that has won success in the mainstream market, such as Amy Grant, Switchfoot or MercyMe. With the release of "Welcome Home" this month, Backstreet Boy Brian Littrell will make something of a reverse commute as he moves from multiplatinum pop music success to newcomer in the Christian field.

The Reunion Records artist is already off to a strong start. Littrell netted a Gospel Music Assn. Dove Award last month without even having an album in that marketplace. He won the prize for best inspirational recorded song for his cover of the Michael English classic "In Christ Alone," which appeared on the Reunion Records compilation "WoW #1's."

The Lexington, Ky., native had long wanted to record an album that expressed his faith. He says people frequently say, "'You've been in the secular world, selling 80 million copies of various CDs, why would you want to do this?' I think that's why I had the platform in the first place," Littrell says. "I had an opportunity to go to the University of Cincinnati Bible College, but God basically took my life south to Florida, and I started singing in the Backstreet Boys, and He has truly multiplied my audience ... but being a Backstreet Boy is a mere steppingstone for me."

Christian music gatekeepers and audiences can often be skeptical of secular artists who enter the fold, but Littrell's good-boy rep should help his chances. Unlike some Backstreet Boys members who have been embroiled in scandals or addiction issues, Littrell has maintained a clean-cut image and been open about his faith. He once refused to participate in a Rolling Stone cover shoot when the photographer wanted the group to pose with scantily clad women.

Littrell says the Backstreet Boys plan to work on a new record this year. "I'm a big fan of the Backstreet Boys and our success and the quality of music that we put out and our fan base that's been there for us over the 13 years that we've been together," he says. "I hope to further that and also have the freedom to do this. God has called me to be here, and I pray every day in and day out that God opens the doors for me to go through."

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA..._01_N05433526_RTRIDST_0_MUSIC-LITTRELL-DC.XML

Forum List

Back