From a small (4 employees) to 40,000 founder..Sun Micros pays $500M/yr taxes

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
"The people attacking corporations obviously do not understand what is at stake.

"Sun Microsystems, which I co-founded way back in 1982, began with only four employees.
It eventually grew into a workforce of more than 40,000, based primarily in the United States.
That’s a lot of jobs." .

It is a safe bet that the number would have been even higher if every year Sun had not been taking a significant fraction of its profits and turning it over to the Internal Revenue Service."
Scott McNealy is the founder and former CEO of Sun Microsystems
Scott McNealy On Tax Policy

So this "small " business grew to employing 40,000 people.

In 2007–2008, Sun posted revenue of $13.8 billion and had $2 billion in cash.

If according to this statistic: Sun Microsystems $88,000
(Average Sun Microsystems salaries for job postings nationwide are 27% higher than average salaries for all job postings nationwide.)
Sun Microsystems Salary | Indeed.com

With 40,000 employees and an average paid into the Federal Govt. for SS/Medicare o $11,746 per employee a total of $469,840,000 paid every year for Sun employees!

Using the below source that shows 13.9% of employees' salaries are paid in:
Social security Employee 4.2% SURPRISE to many people the EMPLOYER ALSO pays social security tax for employee of 6.2%!!!
Medicare the Employee and the employer both pay 1.45% of the salary.
Then the EMPLOYER pays the Federal Unemployment taxes which in turn provides in case of unemployment the average $300/week unemployment check!

PMA - Members Bulletins & Notices Payroll Schedules/Taxes 2012 Payroll Tax Rates and Wage Bases

So in addition to paying almost $500 million a year in payroll taxes Sun also made dare i say A PROFIT!!! OH how terrible!!!
In this source: Taxed-To-The-Hilt Businesses

So if Sun Micro grew from 4 employees to 40,000 which meant from the 4 employees which Sun and employees paid in $46,984 the first year,
to when they had 40,000 employees and paid in over $469 million this is a perfect example of what Romney is saying how his 5 point plan works!

By cutting taxes for corporations these businesses hiring in next 4 years 12 million more people at average of $40,000 salaries payments to Federal government by employees AND EMPLOYERS into the government is over $65 billion more a year!
Just in payroll taxes!

Then according to the below study:
Did you know that for every $1 million spent in the economy as this economic study shows for every 1 million spent in retail there is an economic multiplier of $1.188 million.
According to this web site:
• $1.188 million in total economic activity takes place for every $1 million spent..
• Each $1 million spent provides $205,829 in labor incomes
• Each $1 million represents 7.7 workers and assuming 35% (payroll taxes, FICA, FUTA, Medicare, SS)
www2.econ.iastate.edu/research/webpapers/paper_13143.pdf

12 million more working at $40,000 each adds $570 Billion to the GDP..
Assuming net profits before taxes on $570 billion is 4% that would be another $6 billion in Federal Tax revenue along with the $65 billion in payroll taxes!

"The people attacking corporations obviously do not understand what is at stake.

"Sun Microsystems, which I co-founded way back in 1982, began with only four employees.
It eventually grew into a workforce of more than 40,000, based primarily in the United States.
That’s a lot of jobs." .

It is a safe bet that the number would have been even higher if every year Sun had not been taking a significant fraction of its profits and turning it over to the Internal Revenue Service."

(Average Sun Microsystems salaries for job postings nationwide are 27% higher than average salaries for all job postings nationwide.)

With 40,000 employees and an average paid into the Federal Govt. for SS/Medicare o $11,746 per employee a total of $469,840,000 paid every year for Sun employees!

Social security Employee 4.2% SURPRISE to many people the EMPLOYER ALSO pays social security tax for employee of 6.2%!!!
Then the EMPLOYER pays the Federal Unemployment taxes which in turn provides in case of unemployment the average $300/week unemployment check!

PMA - Members Bulletins & Notices Payroll Schedules/Taxes 2012 Payroll Tax Rates and Wage Bases

So in addition to paying almost $500 million a year in payroll taxes Sun also made dare i say A PROFIT!!! OH how terrible!!!

BTW, you fucking moron...the founder doesn't pay that out of his pocket....in order to be a publicly traded corporation, he pays himself a salary which is taxed separately from the corporation.

And you said it yourself....all of those horrible taxes....and they made $13.8 billion and have $2 billion in reserve. and we should feel sorry for them......why?

and if you vote Republican.....you could be NEXT!

do we hate success?

Not at all....but I don't feel that successful people are Gods to be worshiped and their egos stroked with gifts of frankincense and myrrh in the form of huge tax breaks, shitty wages for people with families to raise, and vast deregulation so they can be allowed to do whatever they want without consequence.

That’s a lot of jobs." .

BTW, you fucking moron...the founder doesn't pay that out of his pocket....in order to be a publicly traded corporation, he pays himself a salary which is taxed separately from the corporation.

And you said it yourself....all of those horrible taxes....and they made $13.8 billion and have $2 billion in reserve. and we should feel sorry for them......why?

YOU are the MORON!!
WHO In the hell said HE PAID????
YOU obviously DoN"T understand payroll taxes do you????

YOU are part of the ignorant masses that DoN"T know that businesses MUST pay MORE in their Social security payments for their employees 6.2% versus employee 4.2%!
You never knew did you that your employer pays more of your salary to Social Security did you? You also were a dumb f...k when it comes to understanding your employer
also pays for your MEDICARE!!!!
DUMB f...k do you understand how totally stupid also your "pays himself a salary taxes separately" comment is?

IF a public traded company EVER DID that i.e. paid a salary to a separate corporation owned by the CEO that would be FRAUD and a FeLONY!!

AND you dumb f...k who ever said he paid "out of his pocket"????
YOU are so f...king stupid about how corporations work that this is how poorly educated people like you are!

A) The guy formed a corporation that hired 4 people at the beginning and the corporation grew to 40,000! Dumb f...k!
B) Every year the corporation hired more employees the bigger the payroll taxes grew! DUH!!!
C) Based on the research I did which you evidently are too stupid to comprehend Sun pays average $88,000 meaning Sun pays $469 million in payroll taxes every year!

SO you dumb moronic as....hole! Understand the fundamentals of corporate tax accounting before you show your obviously vacuous thin brain!

Read your own thread title.....why did you use the word "founder" in it?

and what in the fuck are you talking about "a separate corporation"? I'm talking about the difference between personal tax....which the FOUNDER pays.....and corporate tax....which the corporation pays. It doesn't come out of the same kitty.

in essence, that corporation is not yours alone anymore.

and if you vote Republican.....you could be NEXT!

do we hate success?

Not at all....but I don't feel that successful people are Gods to be worshiped and their egos stroked with gifts of frankincense and myrrh in the form of huge tax breaks, shitty wages for people with families to raise, and vast deregulation so they can be allowed to do whatever they want without consequence.

Why did you trot out a pathetic strawman argument?

Read your own thread title.....why did you use the word "founder" in it?

and what in the fuck are you talking about "a separate corporation"? I'm talking about the difference between personal tax....which the FOUNDER pays.....and corporate tax....which the corporation pays. It doesn't come out of the same kitty.

in essence, that corporation is not yours alone anymore.

AGAIN... you are so f...king STUPID!

AND I"M TalKING ABOUT PAYROLL TAXES DUMB F...k!

I'm going to keep this very very simple for you since are obviously SO DENSE!!!!
A) Payroll TAXES are Social Security and Medicare payments made by the EMPLOYER in two forms:
1) EMPLOYEE HAS DEDUCTED from check for an average Sun employee's salary of $80,000
Social security tax is 4.2% or $3,360 again deducted from employee's check!
Medicare tax is 1.45% or $1,160 deducted.
2) THE EMPLOYER .. this case Sun adds to the employee's payments these amounts:
Social Security tax is 6.2% or $4,960 PAID by employer!!!
Medicare is 1.45% or $1,160 paid by employer!

So for each employee Sun adds on behalf of the employee out of Sun's expenses... $6,120 the employee pays $4,520 or total of $10,6540 on behalf of employee!
40,000 employed means over $400 million a year in taxes!
AGAIN idiot NOT corporate taxes! NOT personal TAXES! PAYROLL TAXES!!

NOW do you understand the DISTINCTION????

That’s a lot of jobs." .

YOU are the MORON!!
WHO In the hell said HE PAID????
YOU obviously DoN"T understand payroll taxes do you????

YOU are part of the ignorant masses that DoN"T know that businesses MUST pay MORE in their Social security payments for their employees 6.2% versus employee 4.2%!
You never knew did you that your employer pays more of your salary to Social Security did you? You also were a dumb f...k when it comes to understanding your employer
also pays for your MEDICARE!!!!
DUMB f...k do you understand how totally stupid also your "pays himself a salary taxes separately" comment is?

IF a public traded company EVER DID that i.e. paid a salary to a separate corporation owned by the CEO that would be FRAUD and a FeLONY!!

AND you dumb f...k who ever said he paid "out of his pocket"????
YOU are so f...king stupid about how corporations work that this is how poorly educated people like you are!

A) The guy formed a corporation that hired 4 people at the beginning and the corporation grew to 40,000! Dumb f...k!
B) Every year the corporation hired more employees the bigger the payroll taxes grew! DUH!!!
C) Based on the research I did which you evidently are too stupid to comprehend Sun pays average $88,000 meaning Sun pays $469 million in payroll taxes every year!

SO you dumb moronic as....hole! Understand the fundamentals of corporate tax accounting before you show your obviously vacuous thin brain!

What's your point? Briefly, please.

Sun was acquired by Oracle.

If Oracle is as concerned with taxes as you are, why are they headquartered in California, a very high tax state?

If Oracle is as concerned with taxes as you are, why are they headquartered in California, a very high tax state?

Where did you get that observation I was concerned with taxes???

MY whole point is the massive ignorance of Americans about "payroll taxes". They and obviously you don't understand that employers actually pay more in social security and equal Medicare in "payroll taxes". So why would ANY American see employers as the bad guys? Why would a President want to see businesses go bankrupt? Why would any one much less Obama want to see 1,300 companies go out of business laying off 400,000 people?

But all of Obama and millions of Americans obviously hate businesses, corporations and in doing so exhibit a tremendous ignorance!
A) Employers pay equal if not more in payroll taxes ..
B) Payroll taxes make up 40% of total Federal revenue... and again comments on this thread show the ignorance of payroll versus individual/corp taxes!

But overall the point is to show that with this total hate business, hate capitalism, evil profits is taking it's toll!
Again as this famous business owner said:

"My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, so will your opportunities.
If that happens, you can find me in the Caribbean sitting on the beach, under a palm tree, retired, and with no employees to worry about.

Signed, your boss

Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus

Take Salt Lake City. "Almost all of the major tech companies have moved stuff to Salt Lake City." That includes Twitter, Adobe, eBay and Oracle.

Housing is merely one front of what he calls the "progressive war on the middle class."
Another is the cap-and-trade law AB32, which will raise the cost of energy and drive out manufacturing jobs without making even a dent in global carbon emissions. Then there are the renewable portfolio standards, which mandate that a third of the state's energy come from renewable sources like wind and the sun by 2020. California's electricity prices are already 50% higher than the national average.

Nearly four million more people have left the Golden State in the last two decades than have come from other states.

The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ.com

MY whole point is the massive ignorance of Americans about "payroll taxes". They and obviously you don't understand that employers actually pay more in social security and equal Medicare in "payroll taxes". So why would ANY American see employers as the bad guys? Why would a President want to see businesses go bankrupt? Why would any one much less Obama want to see 1,300 companies go out of business laying off 400,000 people?

But all of Obama and millions of Americans obviously hate businesses, corporations and in doing so exhibit a tremendous ignorance!
B) Payroll taxes make up 40% of total Federal revenue... and again comments on this thread show the ignorance of payroll versus individual/corp taxes!

But overall the point is to show that with this total hate business, hate capitalism, evil profits is taking it's toll!

"My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, so will your opportunities.
If that happens, you can find me in the Caribbean sitting on the beach, under a palm tree, retired, and with no employees to worry about.

Signed, your boss

So we end Medicare and SS and everyone pays out of pocket, out their shrunken paycheck, for their retirement insurance and senior medical care?

How does that make anyone's life better?

Signed, your boss

So we end Medicare and SS and everyone pays out of pocket, out their shrunken paycheck, for their retirement insurance and senior medical care?

Why are you ALWAYS jumping to conclusions? Why do you make everything so black and white? A zero sum game?

First of all no one suggests ENDING SS/ Medicare!

My point of the thread was millions of people are ignorant about "PAYROLL TAXES"!
They think ONLY the employee pays. Not true. The employer pays more in SS and equal amount in Medicare.

The point is to first show these millions that they should re-consider the anti-capitalist, anti-business attitude they and Obama have.
Considering that 40% of federal revenue comes from "PAYROLL TAXES" and more then half that comes from the employers.

So when people like Obama rag on businesses, warn they will go bankrupt and in the case of health insurance companies prefer 1,300 companies go out of business this
shows a total ignorance about economics!

I want some of those people that DON"T realize their employer is ALSO paying into their SS/Medicare to understand that the business community really doesn't care if they are liked,
BUT they do NOT need to be constantly berated, ragged on and thwarted in their efforts!
As my Mom and your mom said.."If you can't say something nice, don't say anything"... well regarding businesses... they don't care about "praises"... what they do care is
not being grossly and greatly unfairly hampered, hindered, in doing their work!

Signed, your boss

Why are you ALWAYS jumping to conclusions? Why do you make everything so black and white? A zero sum game?

My point of the thread was millions of people are ignorant about "PAYROLL TAXES"!
They think ONLY the employee pays. Not true. The employer pays more in SS and equal amount in Medicare.

The point is to first show these millions that they should re-consider the anti-capitalist, anti-business attitude they and Obama have.
Considering that 40% of federal revenue comes from "PAYROLL TAXES" and more then half that comes from the employers.

So when people like Obama rag on businesses, warn they will go bankrupt and in the case of health insurance companies prefer 1,300 companies go out of business this

I want some of those people that DON"T realize their employer is ALSO paying into their SS/Medicare to understand that the business community really doesn't care if they are liked,
BUT they do NOT need to be constantly berated, ragged on and thwarted in their efforts!
As my Mom and your mom said.."If you can't say something nice, don't say anything"... well regarding businesses... they don't care about "praises"... what they do care is

Really? no one has said to end SS and Medicare? Wow.....I'd say at least 60% of the Conservatives on here have at least mentioned it once.....

Who berates them? No one berates them....we just know that their incomes have risen by some 600%, and labor's has stagnated since Reaganomics....you know, the idea of "if you give the wealthy big breaks on taxation, regulation and personal wealth.....they will trickle those breaks and savings down to the working class folks like manna from heaven".....

Pardon us if after 30+ years of waiting for that "trickle down" to happen, people are growing impatient and are starting to believe that it was all a sham to bust unions, get cheap labor and to make massive profits and hoard wealth for the "tricklers" while the "trickle-ees" find it harder and harder to have family sustaining jobs.

And we're supposed to bow down because they pay payroll taxes? Well....ummm.....boo-fuckin'-hoo.

They made a profit. In the eyes of the liberal, they were getting government subsidies!

Really? no one has said to end SS and Medicare? Wow.....I'd say at least 60% of the Conservatives on here have at least mentioned it once.....

Who berates them? No one berates them....we just know that their incomes have risen by some 600%, and labor's has stagnated since Reaganomics....you know, the idea of "if you give the wealthy big breaks on taxation, regulation and personal wealth.....they will trickle those breaks and savings down to the working class folks like manna from heaven".....

Pardon us if after 30+ years of waiting for that "trickle down" to happen, people are growing impatient and are starting to believe that it was all a sham to bust unions, get cheap labor and to make massive profits and hoard wealth for the "tricklers" while the "trickle-ees" find it harder and harder to have family sustaining jobs.

And we're supposed to bow down because they pay payroll taxes? Well....ummm.....boo-fuckin'-hoo.

Trickle down didn't work???
30 years ago were you using the internet? Or did you have a cell phone 30 years ago?

But again this shows how people like you have this US against them evil capitalists!

Trickle down works primarily because NOT one government program created a job.
The govt. contracts with businesses that create the jobs that pay the taxes that pay the bureaucrats and Obama's salary!

Again your observations are similar to the meme crap of the Occupy wallstreeters... capitalism BAD.. socialism good!
I know I've made it very simple but you obviously have been on the side of the loser in this and that's too bad!
Jealousy, envy, seem to be your only response.

Rather then figure out how YOU can become a trickle-downer that creates jobs, and therefore POSSIBLY wealthy you just blame others, wallow in envy.
Must be a sad existence to believe those that succeed are to be envied and that's ALL you can do!

Trickle down didn't work???
30 years ago were you using the internet? Or did you have a cell phone 30 years ago?

But again this shows how people like you have this US against them evil capitalists!

Trickle down works primarily because NOT one government program created a job.
The govt. contracts with businesses that create the jobs that pay the taxes that pay the bureaucrats and Obama's salary!

Again your observations are similar to the meme crap of the Occupy wallstreeters... capitalism BAD.. socialism good!
I know I've made it very simple but you obviously have been on the side of the loser in this and that's too bad!
Jealousy, envy, seem to be your only response.

Rather then figure out how YOU can become a trickle-downer that creates jobs, and therefore POSSIBLY wealthy you just blame others, wallow in envy.
Must be a sad existence to believe those that succeed are to be envied and that's ALL you can do!

Really...yes....I forgot...my facebook status helps keep food on the table, a roof over our heads and if we get sick? It helps pay the doctor's bill. BTW.....the INTERNET started as......OH.....NO!!!!! a government project....namely the department of defense....then it "trickled down" to acedemia....and yet again to the private sector.

I have no envy for those rat race fuckwads.....I fucking PITY them....that their life revolves so much around their greed an the acquisition of wealth that they don't give a shit about their employees, the very people who help them squire that wealth nor do they give a shit about the country that allowed them to achieve the wealth they have.....all because a few percentage points of the population want something for nothing and could actually make their own way, but don't.....actually, I don't think they even concern themselves with them either....it's just a talking point to get ignorant assholes like you riled up so you will vote for the people who will give them what they want......MORE.

New Topics

Forum List

Back