From A Father, About His Son

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
From another site I frequently read and post on now and again. :clap2: :clap2: :

http://www.plnewsforum.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/16351/

A PROUD FATHER

At 2:30 PM EST, Friday, February 23rd, my youngest son recited his reenlistment oath to serve his country for another four years. He was on duty at the time, but was relieved by a fellow Airman so that he could have the oath administered, and a few pictures taken. He then went back to his job, and finished his scheduled assignment.

When reciting this oath, he swore to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. He swore to bear true faith and allegiance to the same, and obey the orders of the President and his appointed officers, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

His decision made, and his commitment sworn to before God and man, he will remain with that small segment of our population who have voluntarily chosen to put aside the tranquility of civilian life to defend the very document that was created to insure that tranquility. As a college graduate with numerous skills and practical experience, he will use his talents and knowledge to help insure that we can continue to enjoy the blessings of being Americans. He has chosen to give a portion of his life to service, benefiting and protecting millions of others, rather than benefiting his own well being, prosperity and safety.

To say that I am proud of this young man is a gross understatement. I know his character, his ideals, his goals and his reasons for joining the military. His intelligence, generosity, loyalty and ethics are also well known to me. Yet, I cannot but stand in awe of his dedication in following the path he has chosen. Along with those other men and women of honor who have made the decision to serve our Nation, he represents the true ideal of the citizen soldier. These men and women were not coerced, cajoled, intimidated, drafted, bribed, enticed or fooled into taking on the task of protecting and defending our way of life. They have taken this oath freely, knowing the tasks they will be given, and with a clear understanding of the risks inherent with their decision.

The military of today is much different from that of my generation. They are better trained, better equipped, better led and better educated than at any time in our history. They have proven their ability to successfully carry out complicated orders under impossible conditions, while maintaining a level of humanity and honor that is unprecedented in world history.

When we look at the oath they have taken, we should take note of what it says, and consider what it does not say. They swear to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, not just one state or region. They have sworn to protect and defend all citizens who live under the ideals set forth in the Constitution, not just one specific religion, color, race or sex. They have sworn to obey the orders of the President, and duly appointed officers, within the rules outlined in the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Not a Democratic or Republican President, nor a conservative or liberal President, male or female, or certain color or religion. In other words, they have sworn to be Americans, first and foremost. Any other designation is transparent to them, as it should be to us all.

There will be those who say that I have idealized our military men and women. Perhaps I have, but I can only judge by the many I know who serve, or have served, in these difficult times. Without exception, they have been intelligent, honest, brave, dedicated and honorable in their motives and actions. That they have chosen this course in their lives is testament to the vision we should all have of the citizen soldier, for they represent all that is good in America. I am proud of my son, and all of the men and women with whom he serves. They are indeed our best and brightest, for they understand better than most what being an American is all about. While a simple “Thank You” seems woefully inadequate, if said from the heart, it still says it best.

This father should be proud. military service is a noble and honorable calling.

I deeply admire anyone who choses to serve their country in harm's way...

This father should be proud. military service is a noble and honorable calling.

I deeply admire anyone who choses to serve their country in harm's way...

I wholeheartedly agree. I also agree with his take on the current forces, as far as education, equipment, etc. The mistakes that were made have been made right, it's time to stop the slamming on that front.

I wholeheartedly agree. I also agree with his take on the current forces, as far as education, equipment, etc. The mistakes that were made have been made right, it's time to stop the slamming on that front.

my only argument has been with the wisdom of this mission.

I am not entirely sure it is untrue... and really... neither are you.

You are right. But I will say, when in 2002 the troops in Afghanistan needed better body armor, then same in Iraq, 2003, I sent $$, when family members said the troops needed it. Same with baby wipes at the time, we did a collection at school, till the troops yelled, "No more..."

I'm quite confident the families would speak out, aren't you?

I read and contribute as do you, from what I've read, the best of those supporting our troops.

First off I served for 13 years on two of the oldest ships in the Navy at that time. We were better off than the Russians were during the same time frame with regards to quality of life. Our pay was low but I lived off it and had fun in the process. I was in several parts of the world that had issues and we went to support the mission and it wasn't up to us to dispute openly the agenda. We did our jobs everyday even if it meant a few hours of sleep, no milk to drink, no mail from home for weeks at a time and certainly no emails or cell phones. I admire these troops because they are following the steps of our countrymen and we've also come a long way in many of our abilities to do the job at hand.
Now right now if it were a different President I’m sure we’d be complaining about there agenda or what they got us into this time. Having said that I’d like to see everyone in office and private civilians just support these troops because they aren’t blind and they can feel the resentment over these actions. I’m glad our forces are voluntary because you have better troops with better attitudes doing the job.
This story was a lot more than politics but more about the sacrifices this individual made so they could continue there career in the armed services many have no clue what that would be like and I can assure you this individual understands it.

First off I served for 13 years on two of the oldest ships in the Navy at that time. We were better off than the Russians were during the same time frame with regards to quality of life. Our pay was low but I lived off it and had fun in the process. I was in several parts of the world that had issues and we went to support the mission and it wasn't up to us to dispute openly the agenda. We did our jobs everyday even if it meant a few hours of sleep, no milk to drink, no mail from home for weeks at a time and certainly no emails or cell phones. I admire these troops because they are following the steps of our countrymen and we've also come a long way in many of our abilities to do the job at hand.
Now right now if it were a different President I’m sure we’d be complaining about there agenda or what they got us into this time. Having said that I’d like to see everyone in office and private civilians just support these troops because they aren’t blind and they can feel the resentment over these actions. I’m glad our forces are voluntary because you have better troops with better attitudes doing the job.
This story was a lot more than politics but more about the sacrifices this individual made so they could continue there career in the armed services many have no clue what that would be like and I can assure you this individual understands it.

we share similar experiences.... can you honestly say that you were ever personally impacted by political discussions back home? I know that I sure wasn't in the least. I raised my hand at age 18 in 1968 and retired in '93 and throughout it all, I had my own personal opinions about the wisdom of some of the missions the Navy was sent on, but it was all part of the job... and I knew and fully expected that civilians would quibble about the wisdom of those missions too.... it went with being a member of a military that protected a vibrant and participitory democracy....I am sure that the soviet sailors on the ships that we would always encounter never had any such issues concerning dissent at home, but I wouldn't trade places....would you?

Indeed I wouldn't trade spots with the russians although we sent food and smut over to a couple of shadow Russian frigates about 150 miles off of cam rohn bay. They took our goods and were happy to receive whatever we sent. I got out of the service because of the Clinton Administration policies about doing more with less. It became more and more difficult with doing the job. I was a munitions tech and I can tell you it is very hard to have a minimum load team and 12 birds on the go for the flight schedule! I’m glad I had the experience of being in the service and seeing the world at a different time. If I had it to do over I’d make some changes in my educational back ground for starters and also my duty stations.

it wasn't Clinton that started doing more with less.... my recollection was that even under Reagan, - and before that back to Nixon - OPTAR funding was help steady and OpTempo was increased for the blackshoe Navy.

I had a chief that worked for me that used to say, "We've been doing more with less for so long, pretty soon we'll be able to everything with nothing forever"

If I recall Reagan was the 600 ship Navy man, and WJC out right made it clear more with less, kind of like don't ask don't tell the legal way back then. Well the newer ships being constructed are well over half the crew required and the rest will be automated to relieve the duties of the crew. But these crewmemeber will have to be smarter and more skilled than any sailor before. I was just a white hat doing time and again I'm glad I had the opportunities I did, who knows I feel confident I'd made 8 before I would have retired last year, but I don't miss it.

If I recall Reagan was the 600 ship Navy man, and WJC out right made it clear more with less, kind of like don't ask don't tell the legal way back then. Well the newer ships being constructed are well over half the crew required and the rest will be automated to relieve the duties of the crew. But these crewmemeber will have to be smarter and more skilled than any sailor before. I was just a white hat doing time and again I'm glad I had the opportunities I did, who knows I feel confident I'd made 8 before I would have retired last year, but I don't miss it.

reagan was the 600 ship navy...which needed to be built up after Nam had ravaged our shipbuilding programs and worn out our aging fleet.... but nonetheless...there was always more to do and less money to do it with. reagan spent a lot of money on big ticket capital projects but did not significantly increase the O&M funds that the fleet used to keep going....and he made us do more in terms of OpTempo.

I was on the Midway so I know and remember all about op tempo. That ship out lasted every forward deployed carrier sent to Japan since 1992. Haze grey and undeway was our life!

and as someone who had to worry about the costs of that optempo, I can tell you that the OPTAR increases were negligible for the operating fleet from about 73 for two decades.... some years not even keeping up with the rate of inflation.

Supply guy???I don't think they have optars anymore? I work for DON and I'll have to ask some of the supply guys I know if they still cal them optars or by another name...

I was not a supply guy...I was a line officer and we all had OPTAR budgets that we had to manage. I have no idea what they are called now...O&M is what civilian industry refers to them as.... but I do know that they never increased by any substantial amount no matter who was in the white house.

I was not a supply guy...I was a line officer and we all had OPTAR budgets that we had to manage. I have no idea what they are called now...O&M is what civilian industry refers to them as.... but I do know that they never increased by any substantial amount no matter who was in the white house.

There was a brief period when I was stationed at NAS Alameda that we'd get a credit card and then we could like open purchase supplies from serv~mart but that was short lived. Made it a lot easier than having to fill out 1348-1 for every item.
So did you do any tours at the Penagon? I mean you were in a long time I reckon you had to drive a big desk up town right?

There was a brief period when I was stationed at NAS Alameda that we'd get a credit card and then we could like open purchase supplies from serv~mart but that was short lived. Made it a lot easier than having to fill out 1348-1 for every item.
So did you do any tours at the Penagon? I mean you were in a long time I reckon you had to drive a big desk up town right?

never got anwhere near it and that was by design

Forum List

Back