Frivolous Lawsuits - Tort Reform Needed

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
Or maybe we just need some judges on the bench who can look at something like this latest class action lawsuit and tell the plaintiffs who file sits like this to take a hike and get the f**k out of their courtrooms.
Seems some lawyers, allegedly based out of Illinois, have filed a "false advertising" suit against Home Depot and Menard's because their 4x4 lumber doesn't actually measure 4x4. They are asking for a $5 million settlement. Does anyone else recognize that: 1) most businesses would tend to take the less expensive option of settling out of court than litigating this unmitigated bullshit; and 2) the only participants who make bank with such frivolous, asinine suits are the lawyers? Apparently, these lawyers have never heard the term "nominal" dimensions.
What a bunch of shit. Where's the judge with the balls to kick this one to the curb?

Lawsuit: Home Depot Selling 4x4s That Aren’t 4 Inches By 4 Inches! Everyone Else: They Aren’t Supposed To Be, Moron.

This fails as a hasty generalization fallacy.

That one suit might lack merit is not ‘justification’ for ‘reform.’

Indeed, the likelihood of being sued because a business acts in bad faith is an important check on the propensity of corporate entities to disadvantage customers.

Conservatives can’t have it both ways: they can’t seek to end government regulation while at the same time take from consumers harmed by the bad acts of corporations the legal means by which they can hold corporate bad actors accountable for the harm they are responsible for.

This fails as a hasty generalization fallacy.

That one suit might lack merit is not ‘justification’ for ‘reform.’

Indeed, the likelihood of being sued because a business acts in bad faith is an important check on the propensity of corporate entities to disadvantage customers.

Conservatives can’t have it both ways: they can’t seek to end government regulation while at the same time take from consumers harmed by the bad acts of corporations the legal means by which they can hold corporate bad actors accountable for the harm they are responsible for.
While I agree, a check on businesses acting in bad faith is important, something like this is unmitigated BS of the highest order. Of course, there is the (slight) possibility that the attorneys bringing this suit have no clue what they are addressing. And, if this were an isolated example of asinine, frivolous suits that clearly intend to soak some business or individual for maximum possible dollars, I'd agree that it would not qualify as "justification". Unfortunately, this is certainly not an isolated incident of such cases.
Dimensional lumber has been sold in "nominal" sizes for a very, very long time. Even construction drawings take into account that the lumber used is less than the nominal size. There are good reasons for this, and again, anyone with a clue understands those reasons and agrees. Barring the absolutely abysmal ignorance of those bringing this suit, the only other reason is the hope that the companies will settle out-of-court. And you do understand that the only participants in most class action suits who actually make bank on the settlement are the lawyers, don't you? You seem to be pretty smart about matters judicial, so I suppose you do. This is a money grab, pure and simple.
I just wish judges had the balls to kick shit like this out of their courts.

Forum List

Back