• A friend is always there for you

• A friend tells you the truth

• A friend doesn't turn others against you

• A friend doesn't try to cause trouble for you

• A friend is happy with you and sad with you

• A friend doesn't try to diminish your accomplishments

• Extenuating circumstances may apply to some or all of these

Results are only viewable after voting.
But on the other side of that coin, should we always put a friend's needs and concerns ahead of our own if we are really a friend as Holly suggested?
Just in case I was taken the wrong way, what I meant is that when a friend is in trouble, you do what you can to help them out. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I don't think anybody would quarrel with that, Holly. But to expect a friend to put your needs and wants ahead of his or hers I think is unrealistic. A friend wouldn't ask that of a friend except in extreme emergency. Certainly I will help out a friend if I can when it is necessary to do so. And I will help out a friend even when it is unnecessary if it is convenient to do so. But I think relationships when one member expects to use the other as his/her crutch, personal servant, or slave is not a friendship but is something unhealthy and good for neither.

one or two turned out to be more obnoxious in real life than they were on line.
You experienced that too? This is why I will never meet up with anyone again...unless I have been posting alongside them for more than 4 years.

But on the other side of that coin, should we always put a friend's needs and concerns ahead of our own if we are really a friend as Holly suggested?
Just in case I was taken the wrong way, what I meant is that when a friend is in trouble, you do what you can to help them out. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I don't think anybody would quarrel with that, Holly. But to expect a friend to put your needs and wants ahead of his or hers I think is unrealistic. A friend wouldn't ask that of a friend except in extreme emergency. Certainly I will help out a friend if I can when it is necessary to do so. And I will help out a friend even when it is unnecessary if it is convenient to do so. But I think relationships when one member expects to use the other as his/her crutch, personal servant, or slave is not a friendship but is something unhealthy and good for neither.
That is called a toxic friendship. Best to let them go and not look back.

The gal I have been friends with for over 15 years? She is executor of my and Mr Gracies will. She has all the forms signed and filled out with copies in her safety deposit box. She says where our belongs go, to whom they go to, and is godmother to our two dogs. (That is, IF mr gracie and I go at the same time).

I have friends like this too. And omg what a blessing they are. But that is a different thing that somebody you know only on line.
I met her online. Of all the years I have been on the net..she is the one I was meant to meet and it be carried in to real life. :)
She is on the road now with her hubby and dog. Off to NC to visit folks on the road trip in their silverstream trailer. I told her to email me IMMEDIATELY when they get there. Bad weather right now and it bothers me they are going NOW. (They left yesterday).
Anyway....I hope becki just got burned out and bailed. Thats what my friend did. But I'm sorry it worries you about her.

There are a number of folks that I originally met on line and then met later in real life. These are different 'animals' than the folks you know ONLY on line, though admittedly one or two turned out to be more obnoxious in real life than they were on line. :)

But there are some I have been interacting with for years now that I am pretty sure would turn out to be in real life pretty much what I expect based on those on line interactions.

Aside from two people (with whom I had some shared emails and thinks like that), I've never talked to anyone I've met online outside of a forum such as this. I did make some plans to meet with one woman I met once (really great lady - I would love to run into her again sometime - she was at Comcast forums before they shut down), but we couldn't get enough people together to do it, so our plans kind of fell through.

I was a member of a support group type of forum years ago, and I had a little get-together with several of the women I met there at my home. It was nice, but I never took any pictures. Lol. It just totally slipped my mind to do that!

Forum List

Back