Friendliest vs least friendly people?

Strangely enough the friendliest people I ever met traveling were the FRENCH.

But when I ran a youth hostel in Boston, the friendliest visitors were the Aussies.

Before a trip that included France, I had a doctor tell me that all French people were rude and nasty. I found just the opposite to be true and that doctor was always rude to his staff.

Once in a while, I have come across someone who was rude or unfriendly but, for the most part, I think that people treat you just the way you treat them.

Esmeralda
I realize it is not surprising that English is widely spoken and that non-native English speakers depend on using it when they travel. My point was that people in many countries are very annoyed that NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS never bother to learn, at least to some extent, the language of the country they are visiting.

I agree. When I had to have emergency health care, not one person I had to deal with did not speak impeccable English. That was the emergency room, the clinic, the doctor, the pharmacy and so on.

We once stepped into a beauty salon in Paris to ask for directions to an ATM that my phone said was right under our feet. A young woman left what she was doing and came out on the street to help us. She spoke English, of course and at one point, actually apologized that her English wasn't better.

People in other countries are just like us - just trying to live their lives as well as they can. (That's true of illegals too.) Just be respectful and friendly and that's likely to be what you will get back.

Thinking about this - one man who was rude was at a tourist stall on the Seine river in the shadow of Notre Dame. He was rude. No other word for it. OTOH, he had to deal with tourists all day!

Yes. It's my experience that some of the people who have to deal with tourists all day long, especially in summer when the season is high, they can be rude, but I believe it is that they have to deal with tourists, masses of them, and often the tourists are thoughtless and rude themselves. Those in the service industry, especially in places with a high amount of tourist, who never get grouchy must be saints.

I have also often experiened someone, in their own country, apologizing to me for not having better English. I will often complement people on their good English, and they will say they're sorry it isn't better, which is embarrassing for me because their English is so very much better than when I try to speak their langauge.

I have found the French people to be very pleasant and helpful, no different than anywhere else. You generally get back what you give...if you are friendly and respectful, that is usually what you get in return. Not always, but mostly.

In general, people in any one countr are pretty much the same as anywhere else and range in demeanor and attitude from one end of the spectrum to the other. Perhaps people in some places are less outgoing or more abrupt, but that is just surface stuff. Americans are steretyped as being loud and brash, but that is a stereotype based on the fact they are the ones who get noticed. It's probably the same in any culture: the behavior that attracts notice is the one that creates the stereotype, while the reality is that people are individuals, not flocks of sheep, thinking and behaving in one way, no matter what their culture.

I work every day with large groups of people of one culture or another, and, believe me, each one is an individual and as different from each other, though they are the same culture, as any human being is different from another human being anywhere on the planet.

Most unfriendly country for me was Greece. People were really rude and obnoxious. Followed by the Dominican Republic.

Most everywhere else I have visited was great.

The people I met while working in the Philippines for a few months were very friendly. Happy.........content.

I lived in Japan for several years......and the reputation they have for being friendly to visitors and tourists is well earned. Live and work there.....and like anywhere else.....you'll meet your share of assholes.

The people I met while working in the Philippines for a few months were very friendly. Happy.........content.

I lived in Japan for several years......and the reputation they have for being friendly to visitors and tourists is well earned. Live and work there.....and like anywhere else.....you'll meet your share of assholes.

And the chances of that rose considerably while you were there.

And the chances of that rose considerably while you were there.

Oooh! Nice one!

I have little interest in travel OCONUS, but I travel all over the U.S.

Friendliest overall ... Mobile Alabama

Least friendly ... Edison New Jersey

Forum List

Back