Friendliest vs least friendly people?

Keep in mind that how friendly or unfriendly the 'other' is reflects at least as much on you; your attitude, expectations, preconceived notions or prejudices.

I have to agree. Kiwi's are the friendliest folks I've ever been around, even more so than Aussies who are also very nice. They have the best beer too! My particular favourite is brewed in Nelson called Montieths Bitter (though they have other brews as well) far superior to DB or Steinlager.

Monteiths do some great beers - though I believe they are actually from the West Coast, not Nelson. They were bought by one of the corporate giants a few years back, but still make good beers.

.they killed everyone they didn't like.

Actually, no, the killing was tribal. By and large, Hutu killed the minority Tutsi, who were seen as having dominated and controlled power in the country. It's a complex story to understand, although the Clinton-funded museum in Kigali does a good job of explaining it. It's surprising that you say you've been there, but didn't know the genocide was tribal.

I am sure there are tourists who don't like Rwanda, but in my experience westerners tend to be hugely impressed by the country but because of its amazing development, but also because of how lovely the people are. These days it is one of the strongest economies in Africa, and it shows in all the new buildings and roads around the capital, especially.

Last edited:
Strangely enough the friendliest people I ever met traveling were the FRENCH.

But when I ran a youth hostel in Boston, the friendliest visitors were the Aussies.

When I visited France I expected the worst, but to my surprise they were the nicest people. They definetly don't deserve the rep they get.

Keep in mind that how friendly or unfriendly the 'other' is reflects at least as much on you; your attitude, expectations, preconceived notions or prejudices.

Yes, to all. If you approach another with a smile on your face, a friendly attitude and open body language, almost anyone will be gracious to you. I love Canadians and New Zealanders. They are especially reciprocal.

Yes, to all. If you approach another with a smile on your face, a friendly attitude and open body language, almost anyone will be gracious to you. I love Canadians and New Zealanders. They are especially reciprocal.

Almost anyone!!!

I do think all travellers should go into the world with a smile and prepared to take whatever comes, but unfortunately it doesn't always work.

Sometimes there are clear reasons - I was in Mozambique shortly after the war finished and found people traumatised and insular; in parts of the Philippines people seemed hostile perhaps because of sectarian violence...at other times it just seems the culture isn't terribly hospitable.

Almost anyone!!!

I do think all travellers should go into the world with a smile and prepared to take whatever comes, but unfortunately it doesn't always work.

Sometimes there are clear reasons - I was in Mozambique shortly after the war finished and found people traumatised and insular; in parts of the Philippines people seemed hostile perhaps because of sectarian violence...at other times it just seems the culture isn't terribly hospitable.

"but unfortunately it doesn't always work."

Right! Which is why I said, "almost" anyone. I am sure you have visited many more countries than I, and some that you mentioned, I wouldn't wanted to have visited, in recent times.

Athena -

The funny thing is that some of the poorest countries I have been to, and some of the most scarred, have been the best experiences.

Syria and Rwanda I mentioned here, but also countries like Togo and Burundi stand out as places where people really made an effort to be welcoming. There is just no telling what kind of reception we'll get when we arrive. Which is all part of the fun, of course.

But when I ran a youth hostel in Boston, the friendliest visitors were the Aussies.

I agree. In fact, my last trip to Paris last year, we were BLOWN AWAY by how friendly the Parisians were. Every single one we encountered.

I've always had a ball with the Aussies, in their country and out. Super friendly!

The Japanese were incredibly friendly and hospitable. I loved every minute in their wonderful country.

I hate to generalize when it comes to unfriendly people because I know there are friendly people wherever one goes but on the whole, we didn't get a warm, fuzzy feeling from the Croatians. But when you look at their history of being so oppressed by the Venetians, you can kind of understand why.

The people of the Seychelles weren't my favorite either but who knows, if I were to go again I might have an entirely different experience.

I was in Paris two weeks this winter. Everyone was lovely to me.

I often spend the summer in one or another European country. One year I spent the summer on the Cote d'Azur. The people were lovely, warm, helpful, and friendly. I remember one day I was walking out of a shop and putting my change in my wallet. I dropped a penny (Euro cent), and this little boy ran after it and brought it back to me. It was so sweet, and pretty much an example of how nice everyone was to me that summer. Another memory is one day when I went to a bakery near my apartment. The server took a great deal of trouble picking out the nicest baguette for me, simply, it seemed, because I was a visitor and was trying out my rudimentary French. I felt like they appreciated that I made the effort to speak French. Out of my various travels, I remember the people in that town on the Cote d'Azur as being the warmest and most pleasant.

However, in general, I don't find the people of one country nicer than that of another; imo, there will always be some grumpy people, no matter where you go, but, in general, most people are nice. I've been in places were single women are not very welcome, and I've sat at tables in cafes where I've been ignored and had to go to the bar or counter to get some attention. That's not friendly, but it's a cultural attitude. The more I travel, the less I ever experience rude people. Has something to do with the vibes I'm putting out, I think, not whether or not people in one country or another are grumpy.

Last edited:
It's interesting that the French have such a poor reputation, but that so many of us have had great experiences there.

Whether the reputation was ever deserved is hard to tell. But it does show that having a positive attitude can help.

That's not friendly, but it's a cultural attitude.

True, but it can be tiring when you are faced with it all day, every day. In an ideal world it perhaps shouldn't make any difference to us, but it certainly has me on occassions.

Sometimes in the Ukraine people were so incredibly rude it was actually quite funny, and it became a bit of fun for me to go out of my way to be even nicer, but on other occassions, particularly when I was tired, it was hard to laugh off. Waiters didn't get great tips from me on those days!!

My wife is French and we own a flat on the Isle St. louis so are right in heart of medieval Paris and for the most part if people are boorish they are treated likewise. I think that's true wherever you go. I worked in Chennai for quite a while and found the Indian people to be quite nice as well for the most part but people being people there were the scumbags there too.

In general people are people, if you are open and smile a lot you get what you give for the most part. I have never been to a country that was "bad" (people being people) and I've been to a lot of real crappers out there.

It's interesting that the French have such a poor reputation, but that so many of us have had great experiences there.

Whether the reputation was ever deserved is hard to tell. But it does show that having a positive attitude can help.

That's not friendly, but it's a cultural attitude.

True, but it can be tiring when you are faced with it all day, every day. In an ideal world it perhaps shouldn't make any difference to us, but it certainly has me on occassions.

Sometimes in the Ukraine people were so incredibly rude it was actually quite funny, and it became a bit of fun for me to go out of my way to be even nicer, but on other occassions, particularly when I was tired, it was hard to laugh off. Waiters didn't get great tips from me on those days!!

I have had a lot of people in other parts of the world, people who have traveled to America, tell me that Americans are very friendly. Are they? Are there any non-Americans on here who can say? When you visit America, do you find Americans friendly? Their reputation around the world (the stereoptype) is that they are loud and rather foolish and obnoixous. Spoiled. Many behave as if the rest of the world is something like Disneyland to them: there for their entertainment and meant to cater to them, and, though presenting a facade of other cultures and visions, essentially it should not be uncomfortably different from 'home.'

Last edited:
Esmeralda -

I've always been really taken by how friendly American people are in America. I've really only had good experiences travelling in the US.

Americans don't have the best reputation as travellers, and certainly can be obnoxious abroad. I have to say that travelling in Africa and the Middle East I've generally found Americans to be terrific; well-informed and generous, but in Europe Americans can be rude and terribly arrogant. It is something to do with the kind of people who travel to those parts of the world.

Israelis seem to be a bit the same - charming and generous at home, but often unpleasant abroad.

Esmeralda -

I've always been really taken by how friendly American people are in America. I've really only had good experiences travelling in the US.

Americans don't have the best reputation as travellers, and certainly can be obnoxious abroad. I have to say that travelling in Africa and the Middle East I've generally found Americans to be terrific; well-informed and generous, but in Europe Americans can be rude and terribly arrogant. It is something to do with the kind of people who travel to those parts of the world. Israelis seem to be a bit the same - charming and generous at home, but often unpleasant abroad.

Well, I'm going to take exception to your statement about the 'kind of people who travel in those parts of the world,' as I travel in Europe a lot. I have been told, however, often, that I'm not like an American, and, usually, people, if they don't know, assume I'm British or Canadian. I don't ask for details, not anymore.

The World’s Worst and Best Tourists
Published Wednesday, March 07, 2012
The World’s Worst and Best Tourists
United States 20%
China 15%
France 14%
Japan 12%
Russia 11%
Korea 9%
India 9%
Germany 8%
Spain 7%
Britain 5%
Canada 5%
Italy 4%
The Netherlands 3%
Ireland 2%
Switzerland 2%
Australia 2%
Source: LivingSocial Vacation Survey conducted by Mandala Research
http://www.emirates247.com/news/wor...t-tourists-by-nationality-2012-03-06-1.446997

This is a worldwide survey, so not just about Europe, as far as I know. I don't know what the criteria is.

Esmeralda -

Don't be offended - I didn't mean that ALL American (or Israeli) tourists travelling in Europe are terrible; only that because Europe is the first place many holidaying Americans visit, many haven't really learned how to travel well yet. Whereas in Africa and the ME I tend to meet more experienced travellers, and thus I think also people who are a bit wiser and perhaps more genuinely interested in culture and history etc.

Those people also travel to Europe, of course, but they aren't always the majority.

Esmeralda -

Americans don't have the best reputation as travellers, and certainly can be obnoxious abroad. I have to say that travelling in Africa and the Middle East I've generally found Americans to be terrific; well-informed and generous, but in Europe Americans can be rude and terribly arrogant. It is something to do with the kind of people who travel to those parts of the world.

Israelis seem to be a bit the same - charming and generous at home, but often unpleasant abroad.

My parents' first time visiting USA was I believe in the 70's. They were shocked about how kind and generous the American people were.

But times changed, the world changed, now sadly is "chasing the cash" age, which influences the best of us:(

So which countries have you found to be the friendliest, and which the least friendly?

Obviously there is a lot of luck involved, but even so - friendly people can make a huge difference.

My Top 5 Friendliest:

1) Syria
2) Rwanda
3) Ghana
4) Georgia
5) USA

Tragic as the events in Syria are right now, I'll never forget the openness and helpfulness of the people there. The amount of times we got invited for coffee, offered the best seats on the bus or even given free treats in shops is something I'll never forget.

My Bottom 5 & Least Friendly

1) Russia
2) Belarus
3) The Ukraine
4) India
5) Peru

It's a shame to have 3 Eastern European countries in my Bottom 5, but there is something about the mentality in that part of the world that doesn't work for me. I know Russian people can be amazingly generous and hospitable, but I've rarely experienced it myself. Instead I've more got the surly, grumpy and sometimes openly hostile responses.

People do not make wars; governments do.
Ronald Reagan

It is truly sad what is happening in Syria. Have you ever been to Iran? The Persian culture is one of the oldest.

How about Poland?

I have some Russian friends (living in America), they are very generous, appreciative and genuine.

Maybe it's the environment they live in?

The angry people are those people who are most afraid.
Dr. Robert Anthony

I have some Russian friends (living in America)
Transplanted communist former KGB members.:eusa_whistle:

The French seem to have a bad reputation, but I've never understood why. People have always seemed perfectly nice to me, and my French is fairly terrible!

Aussies are always very friendly, definitely.

My wife and her sister went to Paris on a business trip and found the French VERY friendly. The following year they went again with my brother in law and I accompanying them, and they found the French to be just the opposite.

The French seem to have a bad reputation, but I've never understood why. People have always seemed perfectly nice to me, and my French is fairly terrible!

My wife and her sister went to Paris on a business trip and found the French VERY friendly. The following year they went again with my brother in law and I accompanying them, and they found the French to be just the opposite.

I have a friend that has a lot of business dealings with Italians.
He has always considered them arrogant a#@eholes and none of them spoke English.

I went over there a couple of years back and found them perfectly nice.
Before I went I spent a couple of months trying to teach myself a little Italian.
I found that after I'd mangled enough of their language trying to say hello and introducing myself, they almost always started speaking English to me.
When I asked him if he had ever tried to learn any Italian he said 'no'.

It seems he has the old British tourist attitude that if you speak to the fuzzy-wuzzies loud enough they should understand what you're trying to say!

I found exactly the same with the French...I tried to resurrect some of my old schoolboy French and they were always nice in return...in English.
It's just courtesy I think.

Last edited:

I have a friend that has a lot of business dealings with Italians.
He has always considered them arrogant a#@eholes and none of them spoke English.

I went over there a couple of years back and found them perfectly nice.
Before I went I spent a couple of months trying to teach myself a little Italian.
I found that after I'd mangled enough of their language trying to say hello and introducing myself, they almost always started speaking English to me.
When I asked him if he had ever tried to learn any Italian he said 'no'.

It seems he has the old British tourist attitude that if you speak to the fuzzy-wuzzies loud enough they should understand what you're trying to say!

I found exactly the same with the French...I tried to resurrect some of my old schoolboy French and they were always nice in return...in English.
It's just courtesy I think.

I found that the French did not like it when my sister in law attempted to speak French, they preferred that we spoke English.

Forum List

Back