Friendliest vs least friendly people?

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
So which countries have you found to be the friendliest, and which the least friendly?

Obviously there is a lot of luck involved, but even so - friendly people can make a huge difference.

My Top 5 Friendliest:

1) Syria
2) Rwanda
3) Ghana
4) Georgia
5) USA

Tragic as the events in Syria are right now, I'll never forget the openness and helpfulness of the people there. The amount of times we got invited for coffee, offered the best seats on the bus or even given free treats in shops is something I'll never forget.

My Bottom 5 & Least Friendly

1) Russia
2) Belarus
3) The Ukraine
4) India
5) Peru

It's a shame to have 3 Eastern European countries in my Bottom 5, but there is something about the mentality in that part of the world that doesn't work for me. I know Russian people can be amazingly generous and hospitable, but I've rarely experienced it myself. Instead I've more got the surly, grumpy and sometimes openly hostile responses.

So which countries have you found to be the friendliest, and which the least friendly?

Obviously there is a lot of luck involved, but even so - friendly people can make a huge difference.

My Top 5 Friendliest:

1) Syria
2) Rwanda
3) Ghana
4) Georgia
5) USA

Tragic as the events in Syria are right now, I'll never forget the openness and helpfulness of the people there. The amount of times we got invited for coffee, offered the best seats on the bus or even given free treats in shops is something I'll never forget.

1) Russia
2) Belarus
3) The Ukraine
4) India
5) Peru

It's a shame to have 3 Eastern European countries in my Bottom 5, but there is something about the mentality in that part of the world that doesn't work for me. I know Russian people can be amazingly generous and hospitable, but I've rarely experienced it myself. Instead I've more got the surly, grumpy and sometimes openly hostile responses.

People do not make wars; governments do.
Ronald Reagan

It is truly sad what is happening in Syria. Have you ever been to Iran? The Persian culture is one of the oldest.

How about Poland?

I have some Russian friends (living in America), they are very generous, appreciative and genuine.

Maybe it's the environment they live in?

The angry people are those people who are most afraid.
Dr. Robert Anthony

Last edited:
bfgrn -

I thought the Polish people were lovely, a nice balance between being friendly and approachable, but never kind of in-your-face or overbearing. Just polite and calm.

The funny thing is that I've heard some amazing stories from travellers in Russia of real warmth, generosity and openness, so either I've just been unlucky, or its something that I maybe don't fit in there as I seem to in other parts of the world. I just can't home many times I've walked into a hotel or cafe and been treated like I just shat on the flood on my way in.

I've never been to Ian, but hope to go next year. I've wanted to go for years, but it sometimes hasn't felt like the best time to go. I hear the Iranian people are just wonderful.

bfgrn -

I thought the Polish people were lovely, a nice balance between being friendly and approachable, but never kind of in-your-face or overbearing. Just polite and calm.

The funny thing is that I've heard some amazing stories from travellers in Russia of real warmth, generosity and openness, so either I've just been unlucky, or its something that I maybe don't fit in there as I seem to in other parts of the world. I just can't home many times I've walked into a hotel or cafe and been treated like I just shat on the flood on my way in.

I've never been to Ian, but hope to go next year. I've wanted to go for years, but it sometimes hasn't felt like the best time to go. I hear the Iranian people are just wonderful.

The Poles and the Russians are very similar heritage wise. I do know that the Poles are among the most courageous. During the Nazi invasion, the Polish cavalry charged German tanks with sabres and lances. And of all the Eastern Bloc satellites, they defiantly stood up to the Russians...

Solidarity_%28Polish_trade_union%29_%28logo%29.png

The Poles and the Russians are very similar heritage wise. I do know that the Poles are among the most courageous. During the Nazi invasion, the Polish cavalry charged German tanks with sabres and lances. And of all the Eastern Bloc satellites, they defiantly stood up to the Russians...

No doubt, but as a country to travel in, I found Poland very different. There is always so much luck involved, but I have also met a lot of people who found travel in Russia difficult because of the sheer lack of what we might call a customer-service culture.

To some extent I think it exists in all of the former Eastern Block countries, but Poland seems to have moved on. I also found people nice in Moldova and many of the other once-Soviet states.

Strangely enough the friendliest people I ever met traveling were the FRENCH.

But when I ran a youth hostel in Boston, the friendliest visitors were the Aussies.

But when I ran a youth hostel in Boston, the friendliest visitors were the Aussies.

I agree. In fact, my last trip to Paris last year, we were BLOWN AWAY by how friendly the Parisians were. Every single one we encountered.

I've always had a ball with the Aussies, in their country and out. Super friendly!

The Japanese were incredibly friendly and hospitable. I loved every minute in their wonderful country.

I hate to generalize when it comes to unfriendly people because I know there are friendly people wherever one goes but on the whole, we didn't get a warm, fuzzy feeling from the Croatians. But when you look at their history of being so oppressed by the Venetians, you can kind of understand why.

The people of the Seychelles weren't my favorite either but who knows, if I were to go again I might have an entirely different experience.

My Top 5 Friendliest:

1) Syria
2) Rwanda
3) Ghana
4) Georgia
5) USA

1) Russia
2) Belarus
3) The Ukraine
4) India
5) Peru

Bummer about India!! I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience there. I had a wonderful time there and I have to say, as an amateur photographer, the Indians made THE BEST photo subjects. They love having their pics taken. No doubt, southern India is much easier to travel around than northern India. The hawkers and beggars in northern India around the sights drove me nuts.

The French seem to have a bad reputation, but I've never understood why. People have always seemed perfectly nice to me, and my French is fairly terrible!

Aussies are always very friendly, definitely.

Bummer about India!! I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience there. I had a wonderful time there and I have to say, as an amateur photographer, the Indians made THE BEST photo subjects. They love having their pics taken. No doubt, southern India is much easier to travel around than northern India. The hawkers and beggars in northern India around the sights drove me nuts.

I had a great experience in India, but the people weren't as much a part of making it special as the sites and general intensity of the country were. I do think India is a must-see because there is nowhere like it, but part of what makes it so special is also how tough it can be.

I was only in the north, so I may have chosen the wrong end of the country, but the hawkers were certainly terrible. But in general I also found people argumentative and so set on ripping tourists off that every transacation started to seem like a battle to the death!!

My Top 5 Friendliest:

1) Syria
2) Rwanda
3) Ghana
4) Georgia
5) USA

1) Russia
2) Belarus
3) The Ukraine
4) India
5) Peru

Ahhhhh yes, Rwanda, where hacking someone to bits with a machete is a sign of friendship.

Of course....when you've murdered everyone that you didn't like I guess you could afford to be "friendly" after that.....till you find the next group to be unfriendly to...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3DrvrrSgHI]Rwanda Genocide documentary - YouTube[/ame]

Westwall -

Rwanda is a tremendously friendly country - ask anyone who has been there.

I imagine most of us who have been there presume that the facts of the genocide in 1994 would mean the country is austere, tramatised and dark, but quite the opposite is true. The darkness is there, at times, but it's not something a tourist would see unless they go looking for it.

One of my favorite songs is "Leningrad" by Billy Joel. Countries are full of people, and I believe that the instinct of all people is to be good to all of their fellow people.

My favorite line of the song:
"So my child, and I, came to this place
To meet him eye, to eye, and face to face
He made my daughter laugh
Then we embraced
We never knew what friends we had
Until we came to Leningrad"

That was written in the midst of the cold war... about 2 mortal enemies who come together because of a child.

There is no such thing as friendly vs. unfriendly people.

Old School -

I do think you are largely correct. There is a huge amount of luck involved in who I happen to bump into on the street, and is that peron helpful or completely hostile. Particulaly if we are only in a country for a week, it's not easy to get a handle on what the culture is all about.

But from a tourist's perspective, some people genuinely do see to be more hospitable. I think there is a large cultural issue there - some people seem to smile more, laugh more, and find hospitality ver natural. Other peoples can be more shy, more introspective. It doesn't make them bad people, but it can make tourism a little harder.

Old School -

I do think you are largely correct. There is a huge amount of luck involved in who I happen to bump into on the street, and is that peron helpful or completely hostile. Particulaly if we are only in a country for a week, it's not easy to get a handle on what the culture is all about.

But from a tourist's perspective, some people genuinely do see to be more hospitable. I think there is a large cultural issue there - some people seem to smile more, laugh more, and find hospitality ver natural. Other peoples can be more shy, more introspective. It doesn't make them bad people, but it can make tourism a little harder.

Fair enough. In that case I propose New Zealand. Absolutely and astoundingly beautiful. Wonderful people. Try the "Tui" beer.

The world is a wonderful place : )

Last edited:
I love New Zealand!

I would also rate it about the most beautiful country on earth, with terrific people. I wish I could get back there more often.

Certainly the beer culture is extraordinary. For me it is right up there with Belgium and Czech. Tui isn't one of my favourites - I prefer Three Boys, Galbraiths, 8Wire...all of those little boutique breweries scattered around the country.

I love New Zealand!

I would also rate it about the most beautiful country on earth, with terrific people. I wish I could get back there more often.

Certainly the beer culture is extraordinary. For me it is right up there with Belgium and Czech. Tui isn't one of my favourites - I prefer Three Boys, Galbraiths, 8Wire...all of those little boutique breweries scattered around the country.

I went on a trip during college a few years ago. Wasn't a beer connoisseur at the time. I hope to start a family soon and take them there one day. That's the only place I've been outside the U.S. besides Mexico and Canada and it was amazing.

Westwall -

Rwanda is a tremendously friendly country - ask anyone who has been there.

I imagine most of us who have been there presume that the facts of the genocide in 1994 would mean the country is austere, tramatised and dark, but quite the opposite is true. The darkness is there, at times, but it's not something a tourist would see unless they go looking for it.

Sure it is...they killed everyone they didn't like...and I've been to Rwanda thank you very much. I've been to most of the crappy places in Africa. And I've also been to the nice ones. Botswana for instance is a very nice country as is Zambia or Tanzania. Gambia wasn't bad either come to think of it.

Old School -

Fair enough. In that case I propose New Zealand. Absolutely and astoundingly beautiful. Wonderful people. Try the "Tui" beer.

The world is a wonderful place : )

I have to agree. Kiwi's are the friendliest folks I've ever been around, even more so than Aussies who are also very nice. They have the best beer too! My particular favourite is brewed in Nelson called Montieths Bitter (though they have other brews as well) far superior to DB or Steinlager.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back