Friedman On Curing Healthcare: No Licensure Of Physicians?

Because people are idiots, right?
Typical elitist bullshit. I think we can stop here.

Let me get this straight.

You are going to put words in my mouth, call me a name, and use that as a disengagement criteria?

That's just weak sauce, right there. If you can't take your lumps, be a man about it and admit it.

Yes Rabbi, I am a typical elitist kind of guy who grew up on a farm in Southern Missouri, put himself through college, volunteered for the Army, and now is taking out loans to put himself through med school.

I don't think people are idiots. I think they are woefully ignorant of matters of science and health.

A quick read through any one of the vaccine threads supports that notion.

State licensing of any trade or profession essentially tells the consumer that the license holder is competent, even when they aren't. The consumer then feels that they don't need to check any credentials, they assume that the mere possession of a license is enough. Then, when and if the consumer gets screwed, they blame the state! It is your own responsibility to check the credentials and references of anyone that you hire including Doctors. Why is the state involved at all? Private foundations could monitor physicians performance and issue ratings and/or endorsements. That would be a helluva lot better than state licensing, IMHO.

PS - I never visit the doctor or dentist without asking them what college they attended and for their PRICE up front! It shocks the shit out of most of them! I wonder why?

Because people are idiots, right?
Typical elitist bullshit. I think we can stop here.

Let me get this straight.

You are going to put words in my mouth, call me a name, and use that as a disengagement criteria?

That's just weak sauce, right there. If you can't take your lumps, be a man about it and admit it.

Yes Rabbi, I am a typical elitist kind of guy who grew up on a farm in Southern Missouri, put himself through college, volunteered for the Army, and now is taking out loans to put himself through med school.

I don't think people are idiots. I think they are woefully ignorant of matters of science and health.

A quick read through any one of the vaccine threads supports that notion.
Please dont play working class boy on me.
You are an elitist through and through, calling people woefully ignorant. Zander is 100% correct.

State licensing of any trade or profession essentially tells the consumer that the license holder is competent, even when they aren't. The consumer then feels that they don't need to check any credentials, they assume that the mere possession of a license is enough. Then, when and if the consumer gets screwed, they blame the state! It is your own responsibility to check the credentials and references of anyone that you hire including Doctors. Why is the state involved at all? Private foundations could monitor physicians performance and issue ratings and/or endorsements. That would be a helluva lot better than state licensing, IMHO.

PS - I never visit the doctor or dentist without asking them what college they attended and for their PRICE up front! It shocks the shit out of most of them! I wonder why?

I understand the price, but what does the college have to do with it? What is your cut off criteria? Ivy League schools?

Friedman On Curing Healthcare: No Licensure Of Physicians?

Milton Friedman discusses the American Medical Association. According to him, the AMA’s monopoly on the licensure of physicians in the United States has put a damper on competition within the industry, leading to lower quality services as well as limited availability to the American public. Although I don’t yet fully accept Friedman’s suggestion, I still find it an interesting proposition that is worth spreading, check it out.

There is no competition within the industry. Physicians and hospitals are paid what insurance companies choose to pay them, regardless of what they charge.

One doctor could charge $100 for an office visit and another could charge $500 for the same office visit...but if Medicare allows $50 for that visit, then both physicians will be paid $50 and no more.

You cannot find any other industry in the United States that functions like this.

Probably because there isn't another industry where the person consuming the good or service is not the person paying for it. Maybe the defense industry would come close and we see how efficient that is. In that kind of environment it is no wonder costs go uncontrolled. No one spends your money like you spend your money.

I understand the price, but what does the college have to do with it? What is your cut off criteria? Ivy League schools?

Agreed. The school where a medical professional attended has no correlation whatsoever with their competence and quality.

Agreed. The school where a medical professional attended has no correlation whatsoever with their competence and quality.

I certainly agree with that, but everyone is free to have their own criteria I suppose. I just don't see it as being very practical outside of urban areas.

I don't have any strict criteria, but if he or she went to Medical School in Grenada, I probably would not use them. :) If they went to a top notch medical school like John Hopkins, Harvard or Penn I would feel alot more comfortable. That being said, my current physician went to school in India, then post graduate Med School at UCLA.

I disagree. I wouldn't trust a Dr. who went to med school in Grenada or Guatemala for anything beyond first aid. You of course, are free to make your own choices. Well, at least for now......:lol:

Forum List

Back