Fried Chicken is Racist?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
DENVER -- Denver Public School officials are apologizing after a parent complained that a school lunch meant to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was stereotypical and offensive, reported KMGH-TV.

The lunch, planned for Friday, was to include southern-style chicken, collard greens and a biscuit in honor of King. Denver Public Schools spokesman Michael Vaughn released a statement that said: "The plan to serve a Southern-style meal in recognition of Martin Luther King Day was well intentioned but highly insensitive in light of certain hurtful cultural stereotypes still harbored in parts of our society."

Organizers of Denver's annual Martin Luther King Jr. Marade, a combination march and parade that honors King every January, did not consider the menu inappropriate, considering that King came from a southern background, but said there are other, more meaningful ways of honoring him.

School Sorry For 'Insensitive' MLK Jr. Lunch - Education News Story - WFSB Hartford

It never ceases to amaze me what people can come up with to complain about.

It is a little racist. I'll bet Dr. King also liked roast beef and potatoes as well why not choose that?

The plan to serve a Southern-style meal

I bet my Southern Friends here will attest that is a "Southern Style" meal.

Maybe these parents should learn to choose their battles, like teacher/student ratio in the classroom or such.

It is a little racist. I'll bet Dr. King also liked roast beef and potatoes as well why not choose that?

Blacks are often stereotyped as a people who loves to eat fried chicken and watermelon. It's true in most cases however it isn't really in bad taste if you're trying to guess what food most black people will like. Just as white Americans like their hamburgers with cheese or hot dogs.

DENVER -- Denver Public School officials are apologizing after a parent complained that a school lunch meant to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was stereotypical and offensive, reported KMGH-TV.

The lunch, planned for Friday, was to include southern-style chicken, collard greens and a biscuit in honor of King. Denver Public Schools spokesman Michael Vaughn released a statement that said: "The plan to serve a Southern-style meal in recognition of Martin Luther King Day was well intentioned but highly insensitive in light of certain hurtful cultural stereotypes still harbored in parts of our society."

Organizers of Denver's annual Martin Luther King Jr. Marade, a combination march and parade that honors King every January, did not consider the menu inappropriate, considering that King came from a southern background, but said there are other, more meaningful ways of honoring him.

School Sorry For 'Insensitive' MLK Jr. Lunch - Education News Story - WFSB Hartford

I bet Dr King would have enjoyed it.

That was a common meal for Southern blacks (whites too)

Hey...they didn't serve watermelon

Maybe these parents should learn to choose their battles, like teacher/student ratio in the classroom or such.
It's Denver....The city (largely the southern 'burbs and mountain resort towns throughout CO) became overran with politically correct Fornicalia libbie flower children in the '90s, after the riots, fires and mudslides.

The state hasn't yet recovered.

That is fucking ridiculous!

If they had said they were serving a meal that honored MLK and left it at that, it might be a little bit of a problem.

But since it was advertised as a "Southern Style Meal", there is no problem with it.

It's Denver....The city (largely the southern 'burbs and mountain resort towns throughout CO) became overran with politically correct Fornicalia libbie flower children in the '90s, after the riots, fires and mudslides.

The state hasn't yet recovered.

Cartman to the rescue!

Cartman_Hippies.jpg

Eric-Cartman-Screw-You-Hippie-560.jpg

902_Hippie_Drill_Blueprint_1280x1024.jpg

cartmanhippieua6.jpg

Oh come on, no watermelon and grape soda and Colt 45 for the black teachers... what the fuckin fuck? I guess white people must not like southern-style chicken, collard greens or biscuits.

This makes me laugh, my first year of college back when I was nineteen we had an MLK luncheon at school put on by a well known african american preacher, and other local african american leaders. They served chicken, black eyed peas, collard greens, and corn bread. The preacher is the one who organized the food, with people from his church making the food. :D

Last years menu on MLK's birthday had Chittlins, hog maws, yams and watermelon. No one complained then. Oh and to burn it off, they held basketball games. At the concession stands they had gold teef, tap shoes and bones for noses on sale as well.

Damn Whiners.

Yep....that's about as southern as it gets! Except they forgot the cornbread....we don't serve biscuits with fried chicken. CORNBREAD. :D

Oh, and ICED TEA TOO.

Yep....that's about as southern as it gets! Except they forgot the cornbread....we don't serve biscuits with fried chicken. CORNBREAD. :D

Oh, and ICED TEA TOO.

Oh, the Iced Tea. I made the mistake once of getting SWEETENED Iced Tea in some restaurant in Georgia...........YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That was the most sickly sweet drink I've ever tasted!

I like my tea plain, with a touch of lemon and a hint of sugar.

A friend of mine was working a bank promotion in an inner city neighborhood and they had free "ethnic food" provided be local merchants. She invited a black gentlemen into the tent and said "we have free food The watermelon is delicious" Then she quickly apologized and said "Oh I'm sorry. Was that offensive?" He said her apology was offensive. You can't win.

At best, they're not very original. Maybe Dr. King enjoyed a cheeseburger every so often..

Forum List

Back