Fridays Fun.

Markainion

May 6, 2005
Been a slow week for me, and I haven’t had too much to post. So I cam up with some trick questions, both are math based. Just to see how tough they really are to solve.

Trick Question

A.

How many push-ups does a soldier have to do in one day? If his commanding officer tells him to do one-tenth the daily hour number of push-ups, for each hour he is on shift. His shift is between the regular time hours of 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM.

B.
You’re a single straight guy going to a singles get together. At the party there is five other straight guys, and seven straight girls. Your car can carry up to five adults and you’ve decided in advance that you’re only going to take only girls to a later that evening concert.

Assuming that you’re popular enough to have all seven girls go with you, but no prior commitment exist. How many potential outcomes can this single guy expect, given he know each girl’s name, and ranks all different girls he goes with differently.

Markainion said:
Been a slow week for me, and I haven’t had too much to post. So I cam up with some trick questions, both are math based. Just to see how tough they really are to solve.

Trick Question

A.

How many push-ups does a soldier have to do in one day? If his commanding officer tells him to do one-tenth the daily hour number of push-ups, for each hour he is on shift. His shift is between the regular time hours of 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM.

80+90+100+110+120+130+140=770 pushups. I would be pissed if my commander told me that!

B.
You’re a single straight guy going to a singles get together. At the party there is five other straight guys, and seven straight girls. Your car can carry up to five adults and you’ve decided in advance that you’re only going to take only girls to a later that evening concert.

Assuming that you’re popular enough to have all seven girls go with you, but no prior commitment exist. How many potential outcomes can this single guy expect, given he know each girl’s name, and ranks all different girls he goes with differently.

He can drive himself and four adults - in this case, four girls. There are seven. So his first pick will be one of the seven girls, his second pick one of the six remaining, his third one of five, and his last one of four. 7*6*5*4=840 different combinations.

gop_jeff said:
80+90+100+110+120+130+140=770 pushups. I would be pissed if my commander told me that!

He can drive himself and four adults - in this case, four girls. There are seven. So his first pick will be one of the seven girls, his second pick one of the six remaining, his third one of five, and his last one of four. 7*6*5*4=840 different combinations.

Jeff your wrong on both A and B.

Part A. Your very close but I said it was a trick question, your shift's only between 800 and 1400 hours. Just a hint

Part B I should have been a little more specific with details. Either way though your still missing a few steps solving the answer. 840 is only correct if there is definite four out of seven girls going with you, and the placement of each girl in your car matters. If there sitting arrangement doesn’t matter four out of seven girls going with you to a concert results in 35 outcomes. ((7*6*5*4)/(4*3*2*1)) = 35

The answer to part B isn’t either 820 or 35, your still need to account for the possible outcomes of 0 to 3 girls going with you.

All give you the answer if you still can’t figure out the results.

Forum List

Back