Friday the 13th part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Has anyone seen this? It's really horrible and makes no sense, even by horror sequel standards. Unlike 4, 5, 6, and 7, it's not even so-bad-it's-good.

Here's a few of the tiny little things that make no sense:

1) The majority of the film takes place on a cruise ship that is heading to Manhattan (full of horny teens, of course). A cruise ship heading to manhattan, and leaving from CRYSTAL LAKE. Apparently, people forgot that Crystal Lake was no more than a mile or so across and could not lead into the ocean.

2) In Freddy vs. Jason, it is noted that Jason has a horrible fear of water. However, when he sinks the cruise ship, he walks across the bottom of the ocean to get to NY.

3) Jason can somehow teleport, now. A character can see him down a hallway, turn around to run the other way, and BOOM, Jason will be standing right in front of him.

4) Don't get me started on the assertion that NY's sewers FLOOD WITH TOXIC WASTE AT MIDNIGHT EVERY NIGHT!!!! Or the fact that when the waste hits Jason, it turns him into a little boy again.

Also, it really makes NYC look bad. When the surviving teens finally get there, they're robbed, drugged, and nearly raped within the first ten minutes off the life boat. More or less everyone shown is some sort of psychopath-looking person (so Jason fits right in, ho ho!).

I know I shouldn't really care, but honestly, this movie is just horrible on every level.

Thanks Dan... I'll be looking for scary movies over Halloween to watch adn I'll stick clear of this one. (If you havent seen "The Entity".. it scared the bejeezus out of me)

I think Freddy and Jason both went downhill after the 2nd-3rd sequel. The only one I cared to watch after Parts 1 and 2 were the Halloween series with Michael Myers. Some really sucked, but some did still scare me.

Yeah, Freddy and Jason both should've quit while they were ahead.

If you're looking for some good horror movies, I'll make a few recommendations...

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Still one of the most disturbing movies ever made, and it's not really as gory as people make it out to be.

May - This is a new one, it starts out kind of as a comedy, but it gets really scary towards the end.

Evil Dead 2 - This one's not really scary at all, but it's lots of fun, and it's technically a horror movie.

Sleepaway Camp - This is a corny Friday the 13th ripoff with a really, really freaky plot twist at the end.

Sixth Sense - Despite all the hype, this one's a really great movie. Don't bother watching it if you already know how it ends, though.

The 'Living Dead' series - This is Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead. Night (the original one, not the 1990 remake) is really good, and Dawn's the best out of the series. Day has its moments, but it's definitely the weakest of the trilogy.

The Exorcist - If this doesn't freak you out, you've got ice in your veins.

I'm sure I, Janeen, or Evilarnold could probably name a bunch more, but these are my personal favorites off the top of my head.

haha! I didn't like Jason takes on Manhattan! all the Halloween and Friday the 13th are on tonight! watched Chuckie the other night, now that I will watch.

I missed all the scary ones over the holiday. As far as the Exorcist was concerned, I thought that was a good movie, not scary.. but good. Amityville Horror (only part 1) was a good one... Again, I have never, ever seen a movie that scared me more than The Entity.

I would like to see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the new one.. the old one didnt scare me much). I heard the ring was scary too.

All this talk of scary movies is going to land me at the video store tonight :rolleyes:

haha! yeah, exorcist was pretty good. The ring was good! It was freaky that's for sure. I haven't really seen a real GOOD horror in a while. Hellraiser's was good too, all of them!

Forum List

Back