Fresh decapitations – Acapulco, Tourist Welcome!

January 10th, 2010 -

The Arizona Republic

Police still arrest and incarcerate drug users. Americans have not flocked to dope parlors south of the border. Mexican narcotics abuse surges unabated, as does the flow of drugs and blood.

At the municipal police station in Agua Prieta, Jose Martin Lopez, commander of an anti-narcotics unit, said the enforcement business remains "exactly the same as it was before."

"Nothing has changed," agreed Alejandro Marin, assistant director of a drug treatment center in Nogales. "If police see somebody using drugs, smoking a joint, they pick 'em up."

If drugs have been decriminalized for personal use then no they aren't illegal..possession is not against the law when it is for personal use..what is illegal is trafficking drugs.

If drugs have been decriminalized for personal use then no they aren't illegal..possession is not against the law when it is for personal use..what is illegal is trafficking drugs.

First, see above. Nothing has changed in Mexico.

Second, how are we or they going to tax drugs if selling them is illegal.

Legalizing personal amounts only strengthens the cartels by increasing the demand, can you not understand that?

Again, if legalizing and taxing drugs is the answer to breaking the cartels, why doesn't Mexico do it?

Last edited:
Mexico Makes Small-Scale Drug Possession Legal | NowPublic News Coverage

No one said all drug arrests would stop in Mexico..small scale possession is legal

A small-scale amount is considered 5 grams of marijuana, which is about four joints, half a gram of cocaine, 50 miligrams of heroin, 40 miligrams of methamphetamine and 0.015 miligrams of LSD.

Prosecutors say that this new law will allow Mexico's police officers the ability to leave casual users of drugs alone and concentrate on the bigger drug busts that are causing so much violence in the country.

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Mexico Makes Small-Scale Drug Possession Legal | NowPublic News Coverage Mexico Makes Small-Scale Drug Possession Legal | NowPublic News Coverage

Legalizing personal amounts only strengthens the cartels by increasing the demand.

Again, if legalizing and taxing drugs is the answer to breaking the cartels, why doesn't Mexico do it?

demand isn't coming from Mexico itself...demand comes from the USA...the USA is the largest user of drugs in the world....I am talking about making it legal to buy the drugs in a pharmacy...a pharmacy clearly is not the cartel.

Mexico made drugs legal..but there will be no cure until the largest user of drugs makes them legal..and that is the US.

No they didn't...they decriminalized personal amounts.

Drugs are still 100% illegal in Mexico.

100%.

I stated that 20 posts back.

So try again.

If this is the cure, why doesn't Mexico do it?

The cartels are a Mexican problem.

If legalizing all drugs, allowing legalized growing, selling at the Drugstore de Mexico and taxing the revenue is the solution, the Mexicans should do it...why don't they?
The cartels are uh murkin problem. No murkin junkies=no cartels.

No, I mean legalize all drugs, not just personal amounts.

Legalizing personal amounts in the U.S. will have the same effect as legalizing personal amounts in Mexico did...meaning none at all.

I hope that all drugs are legalized in the US. The cartels have taken over 40,000 users and dealers off the streets permanently. With all our rehab and community service, we haven't taken ONE permanently off the streets. Accidental overdoses have taken more off the streets. The best thing to happen to us is for the US government to become the newest cartel on the block.

I hope they don't.

The cartels, like the Mafia of the 20's and 30's, will just move to a different criminal enterprise.

We are seeing it in Mexico already with the extortion and kidnapping.

Anyone who thinks legalizing drugs will solve anything hasn't thought it through.

We'll just have a whole new set of problems compounding the old problems.

The BLACK MARKET DRUG business is way more profitable than extortion or kidnapping.

Do I doubt that some drug enterprises would branch out into other crimes?

Not one bit.

Do I think they could still be so large and threatening to the public?

Hell no.

Prolly nunna them thar Meskinz "gittin any head" up'ar.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDUL07jrjzA]Most beautiful place in the world: Mexico Mountains - YouTube[/ame]

It worked it Portugal...things didn´t get worse there for sure.

How bad could it get? Portugal is one of the most illiterate nations on earth. They have no industry. Few people are able to work. Education doesn't matter, few find the need of education. American students are learning what the Portuguese already knew, if you're high, it doesn't matter whether you can read and write or what you know. You're HIGH, what else matters!

Uneducated Portugal a serious structural problem - EC

Uneducated Portugal a serious structural problem - EC
23/2/2002

The low level of average schooling of Portuguese workers continues to be "one of the most serious structural problems" of the country, which in turn is directly reflected in Portugal's low productivity per capita, the European Commission charged this week.

Lack of sufficient years of schooling and low productivity were some of the most disconcerting conclusions reached in a study last year. The political and economic evaluation of Portugal during the course of 2001, which was published on Thursday, further states that the number of drop-outs "is much higher in Portugal than in any other member state" while investments in studies and development in Portugal is among the lowest in the Union.

Education in Portugal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the functional literacy is amongst the lowest in Europe. According to official sources in 2007, 64% of the population had never read a single book

Portugal's drug policy has been a resounding and smashing success. It all depends on how you define success. It certainly has been successful as far as drug addicts go. Anyone who wants to escape a culture dominated by drugs and addictions are presumably free to leave to a more successful and productive country. Just like Americans are - and do!

demand isn't coming from Mexico itself...demand comes from the USA...the USA is the largest user of drugs in the world....I am talking about making it legal to buy the drugs in a pharmacy...a pharmacy clearly is not the cartel.

And a cartel would NEVER attack a pharmacy! A legal pharmacy! Of course no cartel gunmen would come in and slaughter everyone there, dumping a bag of heads on the legal pharmacy down the street. Why that would be AGAINST THE LAW!

You are right, even though you probably didn't recognize it. There is something ultimately wrong with a country whose people find life bearable only when they are high. This is a failed nation. It cannot inspire people to conduct lives without benefit of mind altering substances. I don't mind them living lives as zombies, I do mind having to care for them and provide for them.

Oh yes I want to see the cartel go up against the US Marines, Army, Navy and Air Force when they try to attack a pharmacy in the USA....that will be one for the books because we won't worry about the cartel after that that is for sure.

Portugal, the currency is the Euro..so I think you must be speaking of some other country there Tipsy...the dollar is in much worse shape than the Euro.

The Global Competitiveness Report for 2005, published by the World Economic Forum, placed Portugal's competitiveness in the 22nd position, but the 2008–2009 edition placed Portugal in the 43rd position out of 134 countries and territories.[38] Research about quality of life by the Economist Intelligence Unit's quality of life survey placed Portugal as the country with the 19th-best quality of life in the world for 2005, ahead of other economically and technologically advanced countries like France, Germany, the United Kingdom and South Korea, but 9 places behind its only neighbour, Spain

and their literacy rate is almost 100% which is better than the USA.

Total adult literacy rate is 99%. Portuguese primary school enrollments are close to 100%. According to the OECD's Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) 2009, the average Portuguese 15-years old student, when rated in terms of reading literacy, mathematics and science knowledge, is placed at the same level as those students from the United States, Sweden, Germany, Ireland, France, Denmark, United Kingdom, Hungary and Taipei, with 489 points (493 is the average).[81] Over 35% of college-age citizens (20 years old) attend one of the country's higher education institutions[82] (compared with 50% in the United States and 35% in the OECD countries). In addition to being a key destination for international students, Portugal is also among the top places of origin for international students. All higher education students, both domestic and international, totaled 380,937 in 2005.

Last edited:
If the Euro is in good shape, Greece must be doing well.

Problems in Portugal Are Deeper Than Debt - Seeking Alpha

Economically, Portugal has little competitive advantages on a global scale. Primarily a service economy, Portugal's lack of educational aspiration reduces the amount of high income service opportunities. Portugal's major export is cork, which has limited demand outside of stopping wine bottles. A high unemployment rate of 11% and a lack of natural resources are also weaknesses of the Portuguese economy.

However a lack of education is the most severe problem for Portugal's economy. With a high school graduation at a paltry 28% and with only 11% of the population holding a college degree, the Portuguese simply lack the human capital to finance a Western European standard of living. As a result, the Portuguese government has tried to compensate for this with excessive deficit spending. Having a first world lifestyle is not cheap, and the Portuguese are either going to have to drastically improve their educational system or learn to accept a lower standard of living.

A 99% literacy rate, well, surely such a well educated workforce would mean a prosperous country even if they support drug addition! Right? Doesn't it make sense. What I have found is that the literacy rate in Portugal is 93%. The Functional Literacy rate is 17%. That's the best at what I have seen.

The Education Gap: Portugal's Other Problem - Seeking Alpha

And last week S&P downgraded the country to the lowest investment grade rating because the country “will likely” access the EU’s rescue fund. Portugal’s debt is not junk…yet. But the country’s bond yields soared to their euro zone record (the two-year bond reached 8.78% last week, surpassing the ten-year yield, and higher than levels of Greek and Irish bonds when they were rescued). And according to CMA, Portugal’s credit default swaps rose to a record 585.

But if Portugal wants to get its deficit to a sustainable level (it has a stated goal of 4.6% of GDP this year, and 3% in 2012), it will have to look beyond fiscal policy. Portugal needs to generate growth to reduce its deficit, and that means fixing one of its long-term problems.

Portugal is the poorest of the original European Union countries…and the least educated. The country has long struggled with school repetition, education inequality and functional illiteracy.

Given that reality, it’s hardly a surprise that the quality of Portugal’s math and science education ranked 108 out of 139 in the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Report. And it’s not a surprise that the country’s labor market efficiency ranking stands at 117. And it’s definitely not a surprise that, based on overall competitiveness, Portugal’s rank has fallen from 22 in 2005, to 46 this year.

Perhpas Portugal is looking at drug tourism to help bail itself out of its serious financial problems.

The United States as a FAILING nation doesn't do very well. In international test scores, we made a drop from #12 in fourth grade to 19 in 12th grade. Portugal fell off the list.
Academic Failure - International Test Scores - Poor TIMSS Results

Is there some corelation between failure and increased drug use? I don't know. Countries that have serious laws against drug use and enforce them seem to do somewhat better. Is this a cause and effect? I don't know. Education and educated people in the US has fallen and will continue to fall further as we stop demanding excellence and graduate functionally illiterate people out of our own schools. But, they ARE socially aware! Adults in the United States can certainly tell you something, they just don't have many words in their vocabulary to do it.

Literacy Rate - How Many Are Illiterate

Does drug use help? Is drug use a net benefit? I don't care particularly who takes drugs, if we could just manage to keep them from causing damage to other people they could drug themselves into the grave (as quickly as possible).

their literacy rate is almost 100% in fact it is 99% so you can keep trying to say that Portugese are illiterate but it just makes you look a fool. Greece is not in horrible shape..in fact, one could argue that the US is in pretty bad shape...all we would need to point out is how many are illiterate in the US and how many die from AIDS and how many live on the streets with no roof over their head as well as how many are without a job.....you providing a blog is not a source...and from your literacy rate source...

The literacy rate in the US has many educators in search of answers about this problem that has plagued our country for decades. Instead of decreasing, the numbers of literacy has steadily increased over the years. This raises a lot of questions about our education system, how it is ran, and why there is such a problem with illiterate people in our country.

Last edited:
As I just told you and showed you how wrong you are, I can't do anything else. If you persist in an erroneous belief that the economy of Greece is in good shape, nothing much is going to help you. If you believe that increased drug use is good for a country, likewise, can't help you.

You people are still buying into that monkey motion that the USA has the biggest pop of drug users. IT'S THE DOLLARS STUPID!!! If this country was dealing in pesos or any other type of money, the drug the cartels would be peddeling their drugs in some other country where it would be more lucrative. Trust me, their eyes are on CHINA! They will soon invade that country cause China is well on it's way to being quite rich and powerful. Making drugs legal would not solve anything. It would just make the drug cartels LEGAL along with the drugs.

Oh yes I want to see the cartel go up against the US Marines, Army, Navy and Air Force when they try to attack a pharmacy in the USA....that will be one for the books because we won't worry about the cartel after that that is for sure.

If I had said that I am sure you would have brought up Posse Comitatus by now. There won't be Marines, Army, Navy or Air Force bombing American cities (even though so many would be better off).

You people are still buying into that monkey motion that the USA has the biggest pop of drug users

who is you people? It isn't just what is bought into..there are more drugs used in the US than in the rest of the world combined..that has zero to do with dollars or we would see a worse problem in Europe where the Euro is worth more than the dollar.

Forum List

Back