French warships capture pirates

:thup:

The Somali coast, particularity the Gulf of Aden, has been infected with piracy in recent years. More than 160 pirate attacks have been reported in the waters off Somalia last year.

The pirates have managed to hijack at least 34 vessels since the beginning of last year, and are currently holding some 10 ships and 200 hostages. Generally, the crew and the vessels are returned unharmed on receiving the demanded ransom.

Somalia has been without a functioning government since the fall of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre's government in 1991. Currently, a weak UN-backed interim government under President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed is trying to enforce its authority in the country, most of which is controlled by various Islamist insurgent groups.

Pirate attacks off the Somali coast have continued despite the presence of several warships, deployed by navies of the NATO, the European Union, Russia, China, South Korea and India, in the region to protect cargo and cruise ships against piracy.

The UN Security Council has approved four resolutions since June to promote international efforts in fighting the escalating piracy problem off the coast of Somalia, and has authorized countries engaged in anti-piracy operations off the Somali coast to conduct land and air attacks on Somali pirates after obtaining prior permission from the Somali government.
French Warship Captures 11 Suspected Somali Pirates

You mean this guy caught a pirate?

French%20Navy.jpg

You are all still suffering from the Bush fall out from the time he couldn't talk to French into invading Iraq wih him. Do you remember? Yeah, he and DICK wanted to change the name of french fries to just fries. It seems the French didn't believe the WMD claim and didn't commit to troops in Iraq.

Let's see...How did the WMD thing turn out anyway?

You are all still suffering from the Bush fall out from the time he couldn't talk to French into invading Iraq wih him. Do you remember? Yeah, he and DICK wanted to change the name of french fries to just fries. It seems the French didn't believe the WMD claim and didn't commit to troops in Iraq.
Nah, we've disliked the French since they had that revolution a whiles ago. France has always treated America like a backwards colony, and we've always treated France like a stuffy old aristocrat.

Even after World War II, Charles de Gaul's rule was characterized by resistance to America's influence over NATO.

Let's see...How did the WMD thing turn out anyway?

Uh, ask FDR how he felt about the frogs there bud. We have always made fun of the French. It is far older than President Bush.

I served with French troops in Afghanistan. Good guys. Mutual respect as soldiers, but trust me, they feel the same way about us.

Stop trying to politicize some goodhearted fun. Douche.

Seriously, I thought our national pastimes were baseball and bashing the French! :tongue:

As far as the story, any time some of these pirates are captured it's good, whoever does it. The amount of piracy that has apparently gone on in and around Somalia recently highlights how little much of the world has progressed.

Nah, we've disliked the French since they had that revolution a whiles ago. France has always treated America like a backwards colony, and we've always treated France like a stuffy old aristocrat.

Even after World War II, Charles de Gaul's rule was characterized by resistance to America's influence over NATO.

We actually have much in common with the French. I spend considerable time there - they are fabulous people. A French friend of mine recently said to me 'We French think we are the greatest nation on earth'..... I said 'Much like us, but we KNOW we are.'

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

During the Iraq war, a few British and American war graves in France were desecrated... some thugs wrote 'Take Your Garbage Home' on the grave stones of US and Brits who died during the D-Day invasion. This was well publicized in the US and UK. What wasn't so well publicized was the hundreds of French people who went out and bought cleaning products and scrubbed each grave clean.

Having said that, they are a bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys.

You're totally ignorant of history ... huge surprise.

Stuttering LimpTard is going to be pissed that his DittoPirate followers got caught.
I wonder what message he will send to them this time.

Notice how they started out as TERRORISTS until Obama killed them and suddenly his DittoPirate followers were mere TEANAGERS.

November 25, 2008
RUSH: AP, you have to love the headline: "Pirate Economy Thriving." (laughing) What, should we all join the Somali pirates? Somali pirates, by the way, hijacked another ship, folks, a Yemeni ship. They were mad that they were aced out in the Citibank bailout. They wanted to join Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, being investor in Citibank and they didn't get a chance. They've done everything they can to cooperate. They started out with a $10 million ransom on the $100 million dollars of oil they hijacked from the Saudis. Then they heard me make fun of them so they upped their ransom to $25 million; now they've cut the ransom by 10%. They're doing everything they can here to be friends.

January 09, 2009
RUSH: Somali pirates. These guys are actually terrorists, but just for the sake of this discussion, do you remember when they hijacked that huge Saudi Arabian supertanker? It was the biggest ship hijacking in the world, something like a hundred million dollars worth of oil in there. Remember what their original ransom was? What was it? What was their original ransom? Their original ransom demand, I think, was in the five to seven million dollar range, and I chastised 'em. I said, "Come on! You gotta go for at least 10%. You got a hundred million dollars worth of oil." They upped it to ten million. Remember?

January 12, 2009
RUSH: How about these poor Somali pirates? One of the funniest things I have ever seen. They start out, they hijacked this hundred-million-dollar ship, a hundred million dollars worth of oil from Saudi Arabia, and they demand a ransom that's not nearly high enough, I think it was five or seven million bucks. We on this program urged them to up the ransom price to at least 15 million. They settled on 10

April 10, 2009
RUSH: By the way, I am shocked, and I'm a little angry. I just read that the Somali marine organizers, the merchant marine organizers have now placed a bounty on the head, or a price on the head of the captain of the US vessel that they are holding hostage. They are demanding $2 million for the release of Captain Phillips. I'm looking at that and I'm saying, "What is it with you people? You extort $15 million from the Saudis, you get five or six million from the Filipinos, our captain's only worth two?"

April 14, 2009
RUSH: You know what we have learned about the Somali pirates, the merchant marine organizers that were wiped out at the order of Barack Obama, you know what we learned about them? They were teenagers. The Somali pirates, the merchant marine organizers who took a US merchant captain hostage for five days were inexperienced youths, the defense secretary, Roberts Gates, said yesterday, adding that the hijackers were between 17 and 19 years old. Now, just imagine the hue and cry had a Republican president ordered the shooting of black teenagers on the high seas. Greetings and welcome back, Rush Limbaugh, the Excellence in Broadcasting Network and the Limbaugh Institute for Advanced Conservative Studies.

They were kids. The story is out, I don't know if it's true or not, but apparently the hijackers, these kids, the merchant marine organizers, Muslim kids, were upset, they wanted to just give the captain back and head home because they were running out of food, they were running out of fuel, they were surrounded by all these US Navy ships, big ships, and they just wanted out of there. That's the story, but then when one of them put a gun to the back of the captain, Mr. Phillips, then bam, bam, bam. There you have it, and three teenagers shot on the high seas at the order of President Obama.

Forum List

Back