French regaining military pride

For a nation who hasn't won a battle in almost 100 years, that's going to take a lot of work and time and success.

I mean they've had nothing to brag about since Napoleon.

And who're they at war with and beating right now? Libya? Once again, the US has already moved the furniture. Now they can arrange the doilies and the paintings.

For a nation who hasn't won a battle in almost 100 years, that's going to take a lot of work and time and success.

I mean they've had nothing to brag about since Napoleon.

And who're they at war with and beating right now? Libya? Once again, the US has already moved the furniture. Now they can arrange the doilies and the paintings.

well come on, thats not true, they won plenty of battles in Vietnam....though they doomed themselves at Dien Bien Phu, they fought magnificently.

Then you have lots of foreign soldiers fighting for their US papers, this is what the French Foreign Legion is for France (a chance for foreigners to get the French identity)

Why would anyone want to become a "frog"??? :cuckoo:

Wel they ve got:
- incredibly good food
- good looking women
carla-bruni2551i.jpg
(this is the french first lady, to give an example. Unless you re gay off course, then you have to ask it to someone more suited for that subject than me.)
- one of the most beatiful countries to live in
coastal%20view,%20nice,%20france.jpg

- have a very good healthcare system
- people don't have as much much less problems with obesity then in the US, because the food is much much more healthy.

That said, when there are upsides you also have to take the downsides:
- they fuck up good English/American movies by letting a french voice actor speak over them
- they do not have as much good rock music as in the US
- planning strikes is like a hobby for frenchmen who like to revolt against the state regularly
- you have to handle American dicks who think your people are surrender monkeys (the same americans who your ancestors fought to liberate and died for during the process, but yeah you only hear them whining about WWII and how good they really were back then ...), or maybe that s a plus side if you re a French Legionair? (so you can kick their ass when you meet them in person)
- and most important: you have to speak french, I have to admit that it can also have its benifits (a lot of women like men who speak french to them).

Last edited:
Bruni is Italian.
Apart from that, every nation has good looking and not so good looking women.

Blitzkrieg was a German soldier's thing.
Wrong: it was a brilliant new German general's military strategy, not some soldier "thing".

You implied, that Hitler's military success in WW2 was not achievable without foreign soldiers.
Blitzkrieg and burden of the battles were a German soldier's thing. Hans and Fritz.

Napoleon isn't taught in French schoolbooks for 20 years.
Geschichtsmythen: Eine deutsche Ausstellung demaskiert Napoleon I. - Nachrichten Kultur - Geschichte - WELT ONLINE

He was a brutal Dictator and the last mass-grave has been dug-out in Latvia, where 35.000 of own Soldiers, some still wearing uniforms, were simply thrown into a hole.

can you link to that please, because I am having a hard time swallowing that, they buried them fast back then and he never lost that many in any single battle, the only one close was Leipzig...and well, Leipzig is not Latvia.

and dude, dictator? not quite, in fact his opponents were the ones propping up the Ancien Régime.

Google Translate

It's about a new art exhibition with contributions from France and Germany.
The exhibition contains photos of mass-grave excavations in Latvia and insight into France's relation/perception with Napoleon (he isn't taught there for 20 years in schoolbooks).

Among the most impressive exhibits include photos of a mass grave that was discovered in 2001 near Vilnius. To 6,000 square feet were the bones of 35,000 young men, Napoleon had burned in the Baltic winter 1812/13. One was still wearing the uniform of cap, with which it had thrown him into the pit.

Last edited:
and dude, dictator? not quite, in fact his opponents were the ones propping up the Ancien Régime.

He was a "Dictator" to those in Europe that had supported the French revolution.

Anyway, this thread is irrelevant: What we really need is a thread about, "Turkey Regaining Military Pride."

I miss the Ottoman Empire, and Harems of Oriental Wimmin:(

Anyone else smelling wounded Gaulic pride here?

All I'm smelling is anglophillic mythology about how bad the Frogs are.

Tell me, when was the last time ENGALND didn't have to get its ass bailed out by the USA?

Yet nobody talks about crumpet eating surrender limies, do they?

Gee, why not?

Anyone else smelling wounded Gaulic pride here?

All I'm smelling is anglophillic mythology about how bad the Frogs are.

Tell me, when was the last time ENGALND didn't have to get its ass bailed out by the USA?

Yet nobody talks about crumpet eating surrender limies, do they?

Gee, why not?
Because... umm... they never surrendered? A trifling point, you see, but rather important. Wouldn't you agree?

Bruni is Italian.
Apart from that, every nation has good looking and not so good looking women.

Blitzkrieg was a German soldier's thing.
Wrong: it was a brilliant new German general's military strategy, not some soldier "thing".

You implied, that Hitler's military success in WW2 was not achievable without foreign soldiers.
Blitzkrieg and burden of the battles were a German soldier's thing. Hans and Fritz.

can you link to that please, because I am having a hard time swallowing that, they buried them fast back then and he never lost that many in any single battle, the only one close was Leipzig...and well, Leipzig is not Latvia.

Google Translate

It's about a new art exhibition with contributions from France and Germany.
The exhibition contains photos of mass-grave excavations in Latvia and insight into France's relation/perception with Napoleon (he isn't taught there for 20 years in schoolbooks).

Among the most impressive exhibits include photos of a mass grave that was discovered in 2001 near Vilnius. To 6,000 square feet were the bones of 35,000 young men, Napoleon had burned in the Baltic winter 1812/13. One was still wearing the uniform of cap, with which it had thrown him into the pit.

the translate page doesn't lend itself well to cop and paste, anyway...

I went looking and found this;

http://www.helsinki.fi/arkeologia/kurssit/KAR331_Forensinen_sl2008/Jankauskas_1.pdf

as I said, these weren't battle casualties callously cast aside and burned, they were dead due to exhaustion, weather and starvation associated with the retreat.

some key exceprts-

Page 5 section titled; Results-

The anatomical positions numerous skeletons strongly suggest that the bodies were handled very little; moreover some positions are very different from that of rigor mortis, suggesting that intense cold had frozen victims in the position of their deaths, kept by the rapid burial of their corpses.

Page 8 section 4.2 titled; Historical records;

Other regiments were found- [of] household cavalry, dragoon, foot artillery as well as Italian, Polish and Bavarian troops, the presence of Imperial Guard was also noted……..

See page 9 for the conclusion.

Cold and starvation.

So, in fact this wasn’t a profligate burning of bodies, he took the time to bury his soldiers and camp followers of all nationalities in his army ( the german troops had never gone beyond the Dwina river) etc. whom had frozen to death after reaching Vilnius, due to lack of supplies etc., before moving on in his trek back to the west.

Last edited:
Nothing like disturbing nazi propaganda posters. An interesting glimpse into the losing side's propaganda campaigns. I always found them to be quite interesting and some of the artwork was really quite beautiful and iconic. From "I Want You", to "We Can Do It!", to "Loose Lips Sink Ships".

He was a "Dictator" to those in Europe that had supported the French revolution.

Hummmm, no I don't thinks thats quite correct, I think he was a dictator in the eyes of those he conquered whom were attempting hold up an order that they saw crumbling. Now one can argue that nap. wasn't every bit a king/tsar/emperor as was Alexander a Tsar and Joesph the Hapsburg Emperor......its a distinction in some cases without a difference except when applied to the long view in that a nationalism aside from hereditary feudal underpinnings was awakened.

Anyway, this thread is irrelevant: What we really need is a thread about, "Turkey Regaining Military Pride."

I miss the Ottoman Empire, and Harems of Oriental Wimmin:(

me too! The 'Sublime Porte'....;)

Then you have lots of foreign soldiers fighting for their US papers, this is what the French Foreign Legion is for France (a chance for foreigners to get the French identity)

Why would anyone want to become a "frog"??? :cuckoo:

Wel they ve got:
- incredibly good food
- good looking women
carla-bruni2551i.jpg
(this is the french first lady, to give an example. Unless you re gay off course, then you have to ask it to someone more suited for that subject than me.)
- one of the most beatiful countries to live in
coastal%20view,%20nice,%20france.jpg

- have a very good healthcare system
- people don't have as much much less problems with obesity then in the US, because the food is much much more healthy.

That said, when there are upsides you also have to take the downsides:
- they fuck up good English/American movies by letting a french voice actor speak over them
- they do not have as much good rock music as in the US
- planning strikes is like a hobby for frenchmen who like to revolt against the state regularly
- you have to handle American dicks who think your people are surrender monkeys (the same americans who your ancestors fought to liberate and died for during the process, but yeah you only hear them whining about WWII and how good they really were back then ...), or maybe that s a plus side if you re a French Legionair? (so you can kick their ass when you meet them in person)
- and most important: you have to speak french, I have to admit that it can also have its benifits (a lot of women like men who speak french to them).

Just off the top of my head, you forgot great wine, classical music, art, and architecture.

Great country. Probably my favorite in the world.

You re misinformed: Poland, Luxembourg, Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgium fell quicker.

The reason for the French defeat was the huge toll of WWI. Some of the biggest warbattles in history took place during WWI.

Did you know that the same French military engineering is the reason for the US anthem to exist? (not only the anthem btw: France in the American Revolutionary War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

(youtube = Ground Warfare - Command and Control 3/4 )
YouTube - Ground Warfare - Command and Control 3/4

The Star-Spangled Banner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fort McHenry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Major countries. Try reading comprehension. When were :..Poland, Luxembourg, Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgium considered major countries?

You got owned dude.

And the French were..and are pretty kickass...in terms of a fight. One of the best militaries in history.

"in history" covers a long, long time.
Current history has my $$$ on the Mississippi National Guard over the French and I will give you 10-1 odds.

Forum List

Back