French Open: Does Anyone Care?

I miss Andy Roddick. He is good-looking, but an insufferable crybaby.

I miss Andy Roddick. He is good-looking, but an insufferable crybaby.

we have very different taste in men. I still die inside a little when I see this man:

3ba5a9810deb74d552d23fd9edaa077c.jpg

Me-fucking-ow!

I hope my husband wants some this morning, seriously that man (Marat Safin) just does something to me!
I must have a "thing" for Russians.

.... side note... Andy Roddick sweated more than any player i have ever seen! He'd have sweat dripping of the bill of his cap!

Federer on the other hand hardly ever looks like he's sweaty, though, now that he's older I see it more...

ESPN dropped coverage this year, and since I don't have cable and don't want to spend money on the Tennis Channel, I've been limited to highlights this year.

Today Rafael Nadal announced his withdrawal from the tournament after two wins. Wrist issue.

At least he left us with this nice highlight from his first round match against Sam Groth...

Novak Djokovic wins his 1st French Open title completing a "Nole Slam," owning all 4 majors going back to Wimbledon of 2015! He's the 1st to perform this feat since Rod Laver's "Calendar Slam" back in '69 as a pro! Laver also accomplished the same as an amateur in '62! Novak can still get his own CYGS if he wins Wimbledon and USO this season! He now has 12 majors; 2 behind Pete Sampras and Rafa Nadal, and 5 behind the men's leader of 17 by Roger Federer! Nole now has a winning H2H lead over his 2 biggest rivals and has more Masters 1000 titles with 29, and is creeping up on Roger who has 302 weeks at being #1 in the world! He passed John McEnroe with 202 weeks and counting with his sights on Jimmy Connors who held it for 268 weeks! ;-/ :banana: :udaman:

The tennis "Majors" are a bit tedious for the casual fan. Mens' matches are best-of-5, and playing on clay, the points can be endless so you have to commit to a couple hours minimum to watch a complete match. Furthermore, the most exciting tennis strategy, "Serve & Volley" is almost non-existent on clay, so most points are just the result of someone hitting it into the net after a boring 20-stroke rally. Not as fun to watch as an overhead put-away or a high-angle volley winner from the net.

And no one can compete with Djokovic these days, so the outcome is never actually in doubt. On the women's side the only question is whether Serena will have a boredom-meltdown and give away a match. She is bigger, stronger, and more talented than anyone else out there, so what's the point in watching? (Although I have to say that there were some great points by that Spanish girl in the final this year).

I can't believe there were some postings on the pulchritude of some of the women players and no one mentioned the Hottest of them All, Anna Kournikova. It's not even close.

Wimbleton adds a wild card factor that Roland Garros does not, and that is the factor of playing on grass. You at least have the possibility of some upsets because certain styles of play are a lot more successful on grass than they are on any other surface. This means that someone from down the ladder might actually go deep into the draw.

Tennis is one of the greatest participant sports - one that can be played and enjoyed virtually until you are locked up in the Old Folks Home (then you can start playing Pickle Ball).

If we could ever get urban American Black kids playing tennis in large numbers, it would get a whole lot more interesting very quickly.

Forum List

Back