French Have Got A Hell Of A Mess In Ivory Coast

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
seems like they can't even hold a peace agreement together, why would we want them with a say in iraq?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6404613/

Bombing kills 8 French soldiers in Ivory Coast
23 injured; military retaliates by destroying government fighter jets

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 11:21 a.m. ET Nov. 6, 2004
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - Eight French soldiers were killed when Ivory Coast government warplanes bombed French positions in the rebel-held town of Bouake on Saturday, a United Nations official said.

The French military retaliated by destroying two Ivorian Sukhoi fighter jets on the ground at Yamoussoukro airport, a French military spokesman in Abidjan said.

Government warplanes carried out bombing raids across the rebel-held north for a third day on Saturday, fuelling fears of a slide back into full-blown hostilities in the world’s top cocoa grower which could threaten a fragile peace in the region.

“Military sources from the U.N. said that two Sukhoi (warplanes) belonging to the Ivorian army have just been destroyed by the French after these aircraft targeted and hit a French target,” said Jean-Victor Nkolo, spokesman for the U.N. mission in Ivory Coast.

“Eight were killed and 23 wounded. All were French military,” he said.

The French military spokesman said the French barracks in the rebel stronghold of Bouake had been hit, but he had no information on casualties.

Government warplanes attacked Bouake shortly after French and U.N. officials heard reports of machinegun and artillery fire around the city.

“Bombs were dropped by planes (around 8 a.m. ET) ... and we heard sporadic machine gunfire at the southern entrance to the city,” a U.N. official said by telephone from the U.N. peacekeeping base in Bouake.

Ivorian army warns of land invasion
Ivorian army officers have warned a land invasion would follow the air raids to chase out the rebels who have controlled the north since the war that followed their failed attempt to oust President Laurent Gbagbo in September 2002.

Some 10,000 French and U.N. soldiers police the buffer zone around a cease-fire line that separates the rebels from the government-run south.

U.N. peacekeepers stopped two army convoys trying to cross into the buffer zone on Friday, but rebel leaders have accused the multinational force of not doing more to counter the government attacks.

In the northwestern town of Man around a thousand protesters hurled Molotov cocktails at French forces, venting anger at what they saw as the former colonial power’s slowness to intervene.

“Two of our vehicles were burned and destroyed. Three stores containing food, water and petrol were burned down,” said Henry Aussavy, spokesman for the French troops in Ivory Coast.

Medical aid group evacuates some staff
Aid workers in the rebel-held western town of Danane, just 17 miles from the border with Liberia, said they were preparing for an imminent attack.

Fearing a spread of the fighting, the France-based relief group Medecins Sans Frontieres, or Doctors Without Border, told The Associated Press Saturday it was evacuating some staff from its hospital in the western town of Danane, about 20 miles from Ivory Coast’s border with Liberia. The west saw some of the most brutal attacks of the war.

“We are very worried,” the aid group’s spokeswoman Vanessa van Schoor said. “We really hope that the hospital will not be attacked. We still have patients inside. The population of Danane has suffered a great deal already” in the war.

Van Schoor said the hospital would remain functioning. She declined to say how many staffers were being brought out or where they were being taken.

French Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie said on Friday the U.N. may beef up the mandate of the peacekeeping troops to prevent fighting between government forces and rebels.

“The secretary general will be left with no choice but to give the forces specific rules of engagement that will allow them to deal with the situation,” U.N. spokesman Nkolo said.

“Something is being worked out as we speak and could be delivered today or tomorrow,” he said.

The air raids have so far targeted Bouake and at least three towns to the east and west, the first major hostilities since a truce signed in May last year ended fighting which killed thousands and uprooted over a million.

The United Nations said 20 civilians and two rebels were killed in Friday’s strikes alone.

War killed thousands
Ivory Coast’s war killed thousands and uprooted more than 1 million, threatening efforts by neighboring countries — Sierra Leone and Liberia — to recover from their own vicious civil wars of the 1990s.

Last year’s peace deals, brokered under international pressure, ended major fighting but an agreed-upon power-sharing government has never taken hold.

The U.N. Security Council — which has poured billions of dollars and thousands of peace troops into West and Central Africa to support peace accords — expressed alarm at the renewed fighting, as have France, the United States and others.

Nigerian President Olosegun Obasanjo, current president of the African Union, opened talks with regional leaders Saturday at his farm on the outskirts of Nigeria’s commercial capital, Lagos, to look for a way out of the crisis.

Senior African Union officials were among those attending. Remi Oyo, Obasanjo’s spokeswoman, declined to say if Ivory Coast government or rebel representatives would take part.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

They have been largely ignored by both sides (government and rebels) for some time now. If we watch the situation there closely, I bet we'll soon see the French begin to draw down their military presence. Eventually, they'll pull out without having had significant impact there.

Oh yes...and USA are able to give advice for the "peace operation".....Iraq is a perfect illustration of the "peace ops", by USA : 100,000 iraqi killed, how much destruction ?
in Ivory Coast, the rebels and the government want opposite things....hard to accord them...

Excuse me if I prefer be sad for these 8 guys, these 23 wounded, and their families, instead of laughing about them.

padisha emperor said:
...Excuse me if I prefer be sad for these 8 guys, these 23 wounded, and their families, instead of laughing about them.

None of us were laughing about the dead, one of which was American. They all had families, will be mourned and each loss is a personal tragedy.

The point dealt with the UN/French decision-makers. Are their actions actually helpful to resolving the conflict in the Ivory Coast and do they have the conviction to stay until that conflict is resolved? It's probably safe to say that most of us here doubt it.

This mess couldn't have happened to a "nicer" country..

ROFLOL - SUCK IT YOU FRENCH PUSSY BASTARDS!!! :p

-Cp, shut up.
9 french soldiers were cowardicely killed by planes.
French army ripost and destroy 2 planes and 6 copters.

You seems to enjoy of it.
Proof of your stupidity.

Kentucky : you know, the conflict in Ivory Coast is hard.
The Abidjan's population burn french schools and french houses, because they don't understand why France shoots and destroy 8 of their aircrafts. Maybe they ignore that these aircrafts, planes and copters, bombered before the french postitions. If they ignore it, I understand why they are angry...

the French presence, under the mandate of UN, is here to keep peaceful the country. Since the french arrival, the fights between government and rebels are less numerous, maybe there is no more fights. SO, they have not an ennemy - government and rebels - , or they can't kick it, so, they attack the french. Because if the french would leave Ivory Coast, the fights between the 2 factions wil happen again, for the control of the country.
the french soldiers stop these fights. It was the aim of the "Force Licorne" - name of the french troops here under mandate of UN - .

If there is a conversation with the main characters, a clue would maybe appear.
But the rebels hate the government, this one hates the rebels, abnd both don't like french because they stop the fights.

For me, the question is : what the french sghould have to do ?
If the french army riposts with violence to sho itmight, 2 solutions : -the Ivorians are dissuaded, and no more fights
-the Ivorians are revolted by this demonstration of force, take it for an agression, and do a total war

so, 2 opposite possible end for the same operation.

Another way : the french ripost proportionnaly with the attacks; like yesterday : they are attacked, they destroy or catch the people or vehicles who attacked them.

2 solutions here, again : - Ivorians take this kindof ripost as a proof of weakness : the french make no force demonstration >> so it show they are affarid.
- Ivorians admit that the frecnh riposts are temporized, no more climb of the violence.

I think this last kind of way is the better : the ripost is not too hard to kill lots of people without relation with the attack, the ripost only neutralize the attackers. But the ripost show also the determination of the french amry : we will ripost with temporization, but ripost all the same : if somebody attack us and kill or wound our soldiers, we will punish him.

Not too hard - so, not rebellion of population - but not too weak, to show the determination.

The aim of the french forces is to prevent the fight between the 2 camps, and also to protect the foreigners, about 20,000 people.

okay, I know censorship is frowned upon, but can we just please ban this dumb c*nt? I am really sick and tired of her shit. She contributes nothing and just pisses me off. I can't even stand to read more than 1 sentence of her dribble before I want to puke.

Why "her", dummy ? Julien is a male name...

Your reaction is typical of the close-minded.
I explain the situation in Ivory Coast, and try to find a solution, and you insult me....

Don't say "I don't care of Ivory Coast and the french shit", because you have no obligation to answer here, and it is not me, the French, who launch this thread.....

Now, go away, go on the street to kick some homosexual and kill some mother who want the abortion, like the good "christian" conservator you are.

padisha emperor said:
Why "her", dummy ? Julien is a male name...

Your reaction is typical of the close-minded.
I explain the situation in Ivory Coast, and try to find a solution, and you insult me....

Don't say "I don't care of Ivory Coast and the french shit", because you have no obligation to answer here, and it is not me, the French, who launch this thread.....

Now, go away, go on the street to kick some homosexual and kill some mother who want the abortion, like the good "christian" conservator you are.

Look at your reply and then try to take the high ground.

Now go lick some poodle shit of the streets. God knows there is plenty of it in Paris.

freeandfun1 said:
okay, I know censorship is frowned upon, but can we just please ban this dumb c*nt? I am really sick and tired of her shit. She contributes nothing and just pisses me off. I can't even stand to read more than 1 sentence of her dribble before I want to puke.

freeandfun1 often makes excellent points and I respect his/her opinion a great deal but I have to disagree with this one. Padisha emperor (P_E) offers a different perspective that I rarely agree with but which I, personally, often find illuminating. He/she is a willing specimen of French opinion and we should view P_E as such. Banning P_E simply because we don't agree with the French position would deny us here an important opportunity to learn how these folks think.

Kentucky said:
freeandfun1 often makes excellent points and I respect his/her opinion a great deal but I have to disagree with this one. Padisha emperor (P_E) offers a different perspective that I rarely agree with but which I, personally, often find illuminating. He/she is a willing specimen of French opinion and we should view P_E as such. Banning P_E simply because we don't agree with the French position would deny us here an important opportunity to learn how these folks think.

my post was mostly in jest. i just get tired of pe's crap. he talks about civility, but then starts off his posts calling Americans stupid, stating the whomever made the post he is replying to is stupid, etc.

I am just tired of him, but I agree he has a right to stay. So don't take me too serious on this one.

I'm no fan of P.E.'s opinions, but the deaths of French soldiers is no cause for celebration. These troops have been hung out to dry by an incompetent government in cooperations with a corrupt UN. An extremely unenviable position for a soldier.

I hope that these are the last casualties which the French continget will sustain.

you try to do the things the UN's way and it just doesn't work. France should have gone in there by themselves and with whatever willing partners, perhaps even had NATO sponsor the operation, and kick the ass of whoever was stirring up fighting, violence and tension. Then feed, clothe and nurse those in need and help create a stable government with a free society. nothing more, nothing less, nothing to do with the failed UN.

padisha, my prayers for the french soldiers killed trying to implement a flawed agreement. they serve honorably for their country trying to bring peace to a war torn nation.

freeandfun1, sorry for the last sentence of my post, but I was really angry.
this subject touch mebecause the death of french soldiers touch me, of course.

padisha, my prayers for the french soldiers killed trying to implement a flawed agreement. they serve honorably for their country trying to bring peace to a war torn nation.
thank you Nato Air.

The Khaddafi of Ivory Coast...
:eek:
Gbagbo troops machine-gun women
Sat, Mar 05, 2011 - ‘INCONCEIVABLE’:After soldiers killed at least six women with heavy machine guns, the US immediately used Twitter to accuse Laurent Gbagbo of ‘moral bankruptcy’
Security forces loyal to Ivory Coast strongman Laurent Gbagbo used heavy machine guns against women demonstrating in Abidjan, killing up to eight people, the UN peacekeeping chief said on Thursday. Alain Le Roy, UN undersecretary-general in charge of peacekeeping, said he had told the UN Security Council that there were between six and eight dead from the latest attack on civilians in the Ivory Coast conflict.

The women were demonstrating in favor of Gbagbo’s rival for the presidency, Alassane Ouattara. “I reported that to the council, six to eight [dead] by heavy machine guns, probably what we would call 12.7” weapons, Le Roy told reporters after the Security Council meeting. He said UN peacekeepers were “immediately” on the scene. “The situation is clearly deteriorating. We are on the verge of civil war, it is very clear. Violence is increasing,” Le Roy said.

The incident shocked a nation where women’s marches have historically been used as a last resort against an unrestrained army. Because the president’s security force has shown almost no reserve in opening fire on unarmed civilians, the women decided this week to organize the march in the nation’s commercial capital, assuming soldiers would be too ashamed to open fire. However, at least six of the thousands of women demonstrating on Thursday were killed on the spot, said Mohamed Dosso, an assistant to the mayor of Abidjan’s Abobo suburb, who said he saw the bodies.

Sirah Drane, 41, who helped organize the march, said she was holding the megaphone and preparing to address the large crowd that had gathered at a traffic circle in Abobo. “That’s when we saw the tanks,” she said. “There were thousands of women. And we said to ourselves: ‘They won’t shoot at women.’ ... I heard a boom. They started spraying us ... I tried to run and fell down. The others trampled me. Opening fire on unarmed women? It’s inconceivable.”

MORE

Maybe Obama will send a too-small ferry a few days too late to help out the French?

Maybe Obama will send a too-small ferry a few days too late to help out the French?

Glad you think it appropriate to resurrect a seven year old thread in order for you to use the death of foreign troops to make a political point. Seems you partisan hacks have no shame.

UN backin' Gbagbo...
:eusa_eh:
Ivory Coast Rebels Claim to Expand Their Advance
March 6, 2011 — Rebels opposed to the strongman Laurent Gbagbo seized a town near the Liberian border on Sunday, a rebel spokesman said, in a further sign of Ivory Coast’s possible slide toward civil war.
A top commander of Gbagbo-allied forces in the west, near the border, declined to comment, but the head of a leading civil society organization in the region confirmed that the town of Toulépleu had fallen to the rebels, extending an advance in which they have taken several small towns on the Liberian frontier in the past 10 days. Meanwhile, a weeklong campaign of looting and burning in Abidjan aimed at the homes of ministers allied with Mr. Gbagbo’s rival, Alassane Ouattara, continued Sunday, underscoring the growing lawlessness in this sprawling economic capital.

The standoff prevailing here since Mr. Ouattara won a presidential election in November, according to most of the international community, and Mr. Gbagbo refused to step aside has taken an increasingly violent turn. Mr. Ouattara, who has been trapped in an Abidjan hotel surrounded by United Nations peacekeepers, has appointed a parallel government, but it has little real power. Mr. Gbagbo’s efforts to remain in power have turned sharp-edged, even as broad economic sanctions imposed by the West have stifled his revenues. Human rights groups and others have documented a steady campaign of abductions and killings aimed at his opponents since early December.

Last week, his forces fired into a crowd of unarmed female demonstrators, killing at least seven. In the past few days, militant youth groups loyal to Mr. Gbagbo, and supported by his security forces, have broken into about 10 homes of Ouattara ministers, many in the upscale Cocody district, plundering clothing, valuables and appliances, officials in Mr. Ouattara’s government said Sunday. The houses were largely vacant because the ministers have been blockaded in the Hotel du Golf with Mr. Ouattara. Mobs of civil servants, meanwhile, camped outside downtown banks, clamoring to be paid in a country where cash has grown increasingly scarce.

MORE

See also:

U.N. to deploy 2,000 more troops to Ivory Coast
March 6, 2011 - It will also add more armed helicopters to its peacekeeping mission; The move comes amid escalating violence between supporters of rival politicians; Laurent Gbagbo, the incumbent leader, is defying calls to step down; Clashes between supporters of rival leaders leave 365 dead, U.N. says
The United Nations plans to add 2,000 more soldiers to its peacekeeping mission in the Ivory Coast amid escalating violence between supporters of rival politicians. Laurent Gbagbo, the incumbent leader, is defying calls to step down after an electoral commission declared he lost the election in November. The international community -- including the United Nations -- considers challenger Alassane Ouattara the winner of the presidential vote. Ouattara is holed up in a hotel in the main city of Abidjan under the protection of U.N. peacekeepers

Reinforcements will also include three more armed helicopters to help protect civilians, according to a spokesman. "These helicopters will be used to promote peace and provide protection," said Hamadoun Toure, a spokesman for the U.N. mission in the country. The 9,000-strong mission has been in the country for seven years, according to the United Nations. World leaders are concerned that violence from the standoff will cause another civil war, which split the country into a rebel-held north and a government-controlled south in 2002.

Last week, at least six were killed when an all-women group protesting the disputed president's refusal to cede power was fired upon. Gbagbo soldiers attacked the group, which was peacefully marching in Abidjan on Thursday, said P.J. Crowley, the U.S. State Department spokesman. Video footage shows women screaming as thunderous gunshots are heard in the background. After the attack, bloodied bodies, flip-flops and tote bags were left scattered on the streets. The disputed president denied his forces were behind the killings, calling it a "gross manipulation" of events

About 365 people have been killed since the standoff started in December, the U.N. said. Hundreds of thousands have fled their homes, with about 200,000 leaving the Abidjan area alone since the clashes started. The United Nations refugee agency has warned that its access to people in need of urgent humanitarian aid is becoming impossible amid escalating violence.

Source

Forum List

Back