French Government Minister accused the Americans of trying to occupy Haiti

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
France and America bicker as Haiti aid fails to reach city - Times Online

The international effort to deliver humanitarian aid to the victims of last week's Port-au-Prince earthquake was hit by bickering today as a French government minister accused the Americans of trying to occupy Haiti instead of helping it.

Thousands of American soldiers have poured in to Port-au-Prince airport since President Obama announced that he was ordering a "swift and aggressive" campaign to help millions of Haitians left homeless by last week's 7.0 magnitude earthquake.

Six days after the quake, however, precious little aid is getting beyond the airport perimeters - largely because of security concerns - and aid agencies with long experience of operating in disaster zones have complained that their flights in are being blocked unnecessarily.

Among the aircraft turned back by American air traffic controllers who have assumed control at Port-au-Prince airport was a French government Airbus carrying a field hospital.

Speaking to Europe 1 radio from an EU ministerial meeting in Brussels this morning, Mr Joyandet said that the UN would have to clarify the role of the US in the Haitian aid effort. "It's a matter of helping Haiti, not occupying Haiti," he said.

Thoughts?

It's of my opinion that France is merely trying to place blame before someone places blame on France for the condition of Haiti before the Earthquake and presently.

Id say the French have absolutely no place to complain when they screwed up that nation so badly to begin with.

Thoughts?

It's of my opinion that France is merely trying to place blame before someone places blame on France for the condition of Haiti before the Earthquake and presently.

We've already got Detroit, Memphis, Atlanta, Washington DC and Pine Bluff. We don't need Haiti.

Id say the French have absolutely no place to complain when they screwed up that nation so badly to begin with.

That's my point and why I think they're trying to place blame. Before people point out this little fact more and more.

I would like to know more about this. I know the Russians, the Cubans and the Israelis are there in big numbers. If the US is letting in the Cubans, how is it the French can't get in?

Israel is further than France, and they have been there since Saturday. The Russians moved on Saturday as well.

France and America bicker as Haiti aid fails to reach city - Times Online

The international effort to deliver humanitarian aid to the victims of last week's Port-au-Prince earthquake was hit by bickering today as a French government minister accused the Americans of trying to occupy Haiti instead of helping it.

Thousands of American soldiers have poured in to Port-au-Prince airport since President Obama announced that he was ordering a "swift and aggressive" campaign to help millions of Haitians left homeless by last week's 7.0 magnitude earthquake.

Six days after the quake, however, precious little aid is getting beyond the airport perimeters - largely because of security concerns - and aid agencies with long experience of operating in disaster zones have complained that their flights in are being blocked unnecessarily.

Among the aircraft turned back by American air traffic controllers who have assumed control at Port-au-Prince airport was a French government Airbus carrying a field hospital.

Speaking to Europe 1 radio from an EU ministerial meeting in Brussels this morning, Mr Joyandet said that the UN would have to clarify the role of the US in the Haitian aid effort. "It's a matter of helping Haiti, not occupying Haiti," he said.

Thoughts?

France sounds like a democrat!

He's right. We are now occupying Haiti. Our Military is now in complete control of that nation. I'll let others decide whether that's a good thing or not. I know where i stand on that. Quietly this administration is also allowing thousands of Haitian refugees into the country. Again i will let others decide whether that's a good thing or not. I know where i stand on that as well. This Haitian disaster may become our own disaster in the coming months.

We now own Haiti. Like it or not,we do now own it. Therefore we will get both the credit and the blame for anything that goes on in that nation for the foreseeable future. It is what it is.

This administration's decision to allow thousands of Haitian refugees into the country will have an impact on this nation and especially Florida. I'll let people decide whether that impact is going to be positive or negative. I know where i stand on that. We do now own Haiti whether we like it or not. This President and our nation will now be blamed for anything that goes wrong in that country. It really is what it is.

New Topics

Forum List

Back