French Fighting In Iraq

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
For the other side! Gee I'm surprised. :rolleyes:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...5,1,2588440,print.story?coll=la-iraq-complete

U.S. troops in Iraq have detained three French militants and police here rounded up 10 of their comrades from a group that sent raw youths from Europe to take part in the conflict with America, officials said Friday.

The first confirmed capture of European Islamist fighters turns attention on the increasing movement of militants from countries such as Italy, Germany, France and Belgium to Iraq, European officials say. Several of the recruits reportedly have died in Iraq, but investigators were unaware Friday of any being held by U.S. forces other than the three Frenchmen.

The makeup of the group illustrates the evolving profile and speedy radicalization of Iraq-bound extremists, authorities said.

"This is a new and spontaneous generation," said an official in the French Interior Ministry. Unlike previous militants, they had never been to Afghanistan or Bosnia, considered traditional training grounds for Muslim extremists.

Although the case was first reported Friday by French media, U.S. troops captured two of the Frenchmen in the battle to retake Fallouja in November, the official said. A third man was captured in Mosul, he said.

U.S. military sources confirmed that they were holding three French nationals in Camp Bucca, a detention facility in southern Iraq.

The suspects from Paris are a mixed group with Arab, African and French origins, officials say. Only their 23-year-old leader, Farid Benyettou, has previous ties to extremist networks, officials and a defense lawyer said. Group members financed their journeys themselves and hoped to join Abu Musab Zarqawi, a Jordanian militant thought to have ties to Al Qaeda, because they had heard about him on television, officials said.

Among the 10 people arrested in Paris last week were Benyettou and Thamer Bouchnak, 22. Bouchnak's lawyer, Dominique Many, said his client was determined to reach Iraq despite his lack of weapons experience.

"Here's a young man who had never touched a gun in his life, who was ready to go and probably get himself killed in Iraq," Many said.

"He received absolutely no training. What's so bizarre about this is that they were amateurs, the improvisation, their youth. But they had already sent 10 guys to Iraq. And three died there."...

wolvie20m said:
See the terrorists go there instead of here now....and to say this war wasn't in our intrests....... :firing:
I'm assuming they are getting their training in France. Interesting, no?

Kathianne said:
For the other side! Gee I'm surprised. :rolleyes:

There is a huge difference between the French fighting in Iraq for the other side and a couple of extremist Muslim wackos who happen to have a french passport. Let's step back 3 years when John Walker was captured. How would you feel about a headline that read: US Fighting in Afghanistan for the Taliban?

Okay, I'll chill now. :baby4: :)

HorhayAtAMD said:
There is a huge difference between the French fighting in Iraq for the other side and a couple of extremist Muslim wackos who happen to have a french passport. Let's step back 3 years when John Walker was captured. How would you feel about a headline that read: US Fighting in Afghanistan for the Taliban?

Okay, I'll chill now. :baby4: :)

You don't see the seriousness of these men coming from Europe, regardless of their "ethnic" background?

Said1 said:
You don't see the seriousness of these men coming from Europe, regardless of their "ethnic" background?
I don't see the fact that they are coming from France as being any more or less serious than the fact they are coming from Saudi Arabia, Spain, the US, or Canada. Unless you would like to suggest that the French government is turning a blind eye to terrorist activities inside their borders, I don't see this event as particularly damning to the French as a nation. I do see it as yet another reminder that this is not strictly a Middle East problem but a world wide problem. THAT is what's serious.

HorhayAtAMD said:
I don't see the fact that they are coming from France as being any more or less serious than the fact they are coming from Saudi Arabia, Spain, the US, or Canada. Unless you would like to suggest that the French government is turning a blind eye to terrorist activities inside their borders, I don't see this event as particularly damning to the French as a nation. I do see it as yet another reminder that this is not strictly a Middle East problem but a world wide problem. THAT is what's serious.

Not damning to the French as a nation, but damning to their present government, yes. I'm not suggesting France is turing a blind eye to terrorist activities within their boarders. However, some nations are willing to own up to what is going on inside their boarders, and others are..... let's just say "arrogant" about it.

Said1 I thought the US held the patent on arrogance? :halo:

Said1 said:
I'll pm my close friend PE, and tell you what he says. :D

Gee I knew there was a buzz missing around here, you just put your finger upon it. PE, how could I forget?

Horhay brings an interesting point, that is, just because a few "french" citizens are going to Iraq, does not mean that france is going to war against the US.

Many of the 9/11 perps had "visas" from the US. Does this mean that the US had a hand in 9/11? No.

Is France lax? Yes, that is their national pastime, relaxation. Whether they are against the US is another issue than whether a few of thier so called citizens happen to go to Iraq to fight the US.

IMHO.

-
Think of it this way: the only Frenchmen fighting in Iraq are on the side the the totalitarian murderers. There are no Frenchmen fighting on the side of freedom for the Iraqis.
-

onedomino said:
-
Think of it this way: the only Frenchmen fighting in Iraq are on the side the the totalitarian murderers. There are no Frenchmen fighting on the side of freedom for the Iraqis.
-

That is true

Forum List

Back